Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of double edged falchions? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Examples of double edged falchions?         Reply with quote

As you've probably guessed, the discussion of the MRL Sword of St. Michael inspired this thread. MRL's description says,

Quote:
...this sword has a slight variation which we felt made it even more interesting. It appears to be double edged! Although not unknown, this was quite unusual for a falchion blade.

The "although not unknown" is what stuck in my head: Does anyone know of any examples?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, I don't remember a single sword considered to be a falcion (or otherwise similar) having two edges. But I have not looked and that's just from memory.

Regarding the painting of St. Michael that inspired the replica. I'm including here what Boccia/Coelho say it in Armi Bianche Italiane. I unfortunately don't see that it mentions double-edged (or single-edged, for matter) in this description.

This is in Italian. I don't speak Italian so I'm sorry for mucking this up:

Quote:
L'armature si completa con dettagli all'eroica, quali li pétaso e il corpetto che nobilita la forma del paio di corazze. La storta ha il pomo tondo con dischi rilevati; l'impugnatura è a fuso e l'elso ha bracci chiusi a boccio, con quello di guardia rialzato. Lama a sezione di ombo sgusciato a tutta lunghezza, con punta sbieca. Il rotellino da pugno, tenuto da un semplice bastoncello, è decorato internamente con girali e palmette e sporge a calotta. Un passagio tra questo fornimento e quelli della spade da fanti più tarde si riscontra nell'arma impugnata da san Poalo nel dipinto di Riccardo Quartaro del 1494 conservato nella Galleria Nazionale di Palermo.

Qui la storta è più sofisticata. Pomo a fungo lavorato a baccelli alla base; appetta alla crociera, con bracci a sezione di tondino di cui uno formante la guardia appuntata. Lama ricurva, con punta sbieca; dal tallone sale un gancio di guardia, del tutto insolito.

Vela la penna di ricordare la storta dipinta del Botticelli nella Primavera.

And the bad Internet translation:
Quote:
The armors are completed with details to the heroic one, which them pétaso and the corpetto that it ennobles the shape of the pair of armors. The storta it has the round knob with discs finds to you; the grip to is fused and the elso it has arms sluices to boccio, with that one of raised guard. Sgusciato blade to section of ombo to all length, with tip sbieca. The rotellino from fist, held from a simple rod, it is decorated inner with turns them and palmettos and sporge to cap. Passagio between this fornimento and those of the swords from it makes you later is found in the arm appealled from saint Poalo in the painting of Riccardo conserved Quartaro of 1494 in the National Gallery of Palermo. Here the storta it is more sophisticated. Worked fungus knob to pods to the base; appetta to the cruise, with arms to section of tondino of which one forming the pined guard. Blade ricurva, with tip sbieca; from the heel it knows them a guard hook, of all the unusual one. Sail the pen to remember the storta painted of the Botticelli in the Spring.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I personally would not interpret the painting's sword to be double-edged.

I'll include the painting for you all to decide for yourselves:

And a close-up of the weapon in question:

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in agreement - this doesn't look to me to be double-edged. In the enlarged B&W pic, the details of the blade are pretty clear (yeah, I know it's a painting, so details are added, not captured like a photo...). The edge looks to be very well defined. The back seems to possibly be slightly hollowed, to provide a stiff mid-rib, but the lack of an indicator for a back edge leads me to feel it's a typical thick back.

I also don't know of any historical example that has 2 edges, but these specific pieces don't hold a ton of interest to me, so I don't pay a ton of attention to them.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm pretty much convinced that it's SE, with a double hollow grind. Does anybody have enough clout with MRL to holler "STOP THE PRESSES"? Would MRL care?
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the phrase "ombo sgusciato" seems to be the key. Sgusciato seems to translate as "shell," so the blade is of ............... shell section. Any Italian-speakers out there?
-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The deep fuller pattern close to the back edge (possibly lingering remnants from single edged viking swords and hun sabers) could lead someone to interpret it as a double edge especially with the shading in the picture Nathan posted... However, I have never seen a double edged Falchion.

ks

Attachment: 88.86 KB
FalchionMatrix.jpg
One from Hermann Historica the rest from "Armi Bianchi Italiane"

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its so strange to me to see the way falchions are embeleshed. Were they primarally a late period Italian sword? I guess I am drawing a blank on the specifics.
The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm looking at this and thinking that it looks to be double hollow ground as well, still single edged. I'd thought about asking about this very question, and this sword when I got the new MRL catalog.

Another note on the painting.... The pommel appears to be canted downward from the blade, to me. Not centered in line with the blade.
Matthew Kelty

Reading list: 61 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Another note on the painting.... The pommel appears to be canted downward from the blade, to me. Not centered in line with the blade.

I was crawling through my latest book acquisition, 'Swords And Spears / Schwert Und Spiess' by P. Krenn, which is a survey of Swords and Polearms from the Landeszeughaus in Graz, and found some interesting pieces in there, that may shed some light or intimate some influences on the sword in the Painting. It is written in German with a very poor translation in English alongside every piece of text.

Since Styria (the "Nation" Graz was in) was closely influenced by the Hungarian weapons and designs, many of their pieces fall into distinctly "Hungarian/Croatian" and "German" groupings. In the late 16th Century, the Armoury started collecting more and more Hungarian designs, which were being produced in Styria, Passau, and Solingen.

One distiction that was made in describing Hungarian Hilts, is they are primarily U shaped quillons pointing to the Tip, or severely "S" shaped hilts (by severe, I mean more like a 5 as it appears on a Digital Readout, right angles instead of sweeping curves), with one arm forming a knuckle bow, and the other parallel to the blade.

These hilt forms appear on their Estocs, Sabers and Dussagen throughout the Late 16th-Early 17th centuries. The Weapons described as "Hungarian Sabers" and "Dussagen" are almost identical to the Falchion illustrated, with the major difference being the severity of the Clipped Tip. The Dussagen have a much less severe clip. It is also interesting to note they attribute the word "Dussagen" to the Czech word for "Long Knife" (Gross Messer in German), and describe them as Infantry Sabers appearing in the 16th century, primarily among the Styrians.

All of the the Dussagen and Hungarian Sabers are single edged, but all of them feature a distinct double edge at the clip, which comprise about the front 1/4 of the blade.

Also, almost all of the "Hungarian" weapons (i.e. not the Dussagen) have the pommel canted towards the tip.

Lastly, they state that the majority of their late 16th century weapons, regardless of Hungarian or German design, were primarily manufactured in Southern Germany.

So, it could be that the Italian Falchion was influenced by the Styrian Arms, and that the Hungarian Hilts and Blades being produced in Southern Germany migrated to Italy in their influence.

Just curious, where and when was this Painting made (I hadn't seen a reference to that in these threads).

Matthew
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
Its so strange to me to see the way falchions are embeleshed. Were they primarally a late period Italian sword? I guess I am drawing a blank on the specifics.

Hi Alex...

Probably not the best person on specifics here...

However, I have always thought of a falchion as more of a blade type than a sword type. The clipped point blade seems to appear on many hilt styles. The Italian versions seem to be one of its most fancy incarnations.

ks

Attachment: 96.93 KB
FalchionDevMatrix.jpg
Hermann Historika, Oakeshott and “Armi Bianche Italiane”

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's worth noting to avoid confusion that not all those shown above are falchions. The last two, in particular, are better called dussack, dussage, or even saber. They certainly do show similar types of blades, though, and give an impression of the shapes that were present throughout history.
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jul, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting. Beautiful pictures too. I must confess I know very little about falchions, apart from the fact they were big, heavy and curved. I was also under the impression that falchions are a subtype or variety of sabre.

My understanding is that "sabre" is a generic name for a sword with a relatively long, curved, single-edged blade. So falchions, shamshirs, kilijs, tulwars etc would all fall under the heading of "sabre".
F. Fain

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ombo is old Italian for Rombo. In this case it means Rhomboidal (commonly called diamond shape in english as it refers to blades). Sgusciato means Unshelled/Taken out of its case. I am not sure why it is applied here, probably an old figure of speech. There is a fish called Rombo in Italy, probably due to its rhomboidal shape. It doesn't have a shell, but I seem to remember the filets of the fish once skinned are somewhat rhomboidal in shape. Ah, that's all. Just call it a rhomboidal (diamond) section blade and you are spot on.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

F. Fain wrote:
Ombo is old Italian for Rombo. In this case it means Rhomboidal (commonly called diamond shape in english as it refers to blades). Sgusciato means Unshelled/Taken out of its case. I am not sure why it is applied here, probably an old figure of speech. There is a fish called Rombo in Italy, probably due to its rhomboidal shape. It doesn't have a shell, but I seem to remember the filets of the fish once skinned are somewhat rhomboidal in shape. Ah, that's all. Just call it a rhomboidal (diamond) section blade and you are spot on.

Outstanding contribution, F. Fain!

So, perhaps this blade really is of diamond-section and double-edged. Or perhaps the person who wrote the text is in error and MRL carried over that error into its interpretation. Or perhaps the repro is true to the painting but the sword depicted there is poorly observed (somewhat unlikely, given his attention to details of arms and armour). It's a mystery. It'd be nice if MRL would participate in these fora...

-Sean

F. Fain

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's perfectly possible it was double edged. Why such a thick center spine otherwise? A thick center ridge almost eliminates the need of a thick back edge to preserve rigidity (in fact, a sword with such a thick cross section in its center would be a solid hunk of steel if it also had a thick back). Therefore, if you thin out the cross section as you go towards the back of the blade, you might as well sharpen it. The end result wouldn't be very different from a very stiff, short medieval single hander with a curved blade which, technically, makes a lot of sense and would allow for a considerably wide repertoire of strikes.
The painting might as well not show the shiny part of the back edge simply because to see both edges the sword would need to be held perfectly flat towards the observer, meaning with one edge perpendicular to the ground and the other to the sky which, dinamically, could have been not very credible as this is supposed to represent a shot in action, not a portrait of someone posing. In any case, this being a double edger seems to, at least, be the interpretation the guys at museumreplicas have decided to subscribe to; http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/showpr...Position=5

BTW, I am tempted by this "sword of st. michael" at $ 165. The only uncertainty I have is that the cross section of the blade doesn't appear to taper that much and woulnd't want to buy something that ends up feeling lumpy and tip heavy (which I am sure the graceful original was not).

Sean, you have a museumreplicas falchion and have given a pretty good review to it. Nevertheless, how is it as far as blade geometry? And would you define it more of an agile and nimble short sabre-type or rather more akin to a machete?
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most of the MRL swords I've handled feature distal taper (even their glaive blade). If I remember correctly, the feel of the falchion is far-removed from a machete. That solid wheel pommel and long cross bring the balance back toward the hilt, so you have a very powerful cutting blade but not a clumsy bar of steel in terms of weight and balance. I still think that falchion is a great bargain, especially since we have the stats needed to compare it to a similar original weapon. The only reason I sold mine was because it was too far out of my area of collecting interest.
-Sean

Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

L'armature si completa con dettagli all'eroica, quali li pétaso e il corpetto che nobilita la forma del paio di corazze. La storta ha il pomo tondo con dischi rilevati; l'impugnatura è a fuso e l'elso ha bracci chiusi a boccio, con quello di guardia rialzato. Lama a sezione di ombo sgusciato a tutta lunghezza, con punta sbieca. Il rotellino da pugno, tenuto da un semplice bastoncello, è decorato internamente con girali e palmette e sporge a calotta. Un passagio tra questo fornimento e quelli della spade da fanti più tarde si riscontra nell'arma impugnata da san Poalo nel dipinto di Riccardo Quartaro del 1494 conservato nella Galleria Nazionale di Palermo.

Qui la storta è più sofisticata. Pomo a fungo lavorato a baccelli alla base; appetta alla crociera, con bracci a sezione di tondino di cui uno formante la guardia appuntata. Lama ricurva, con punta sbieca; dal tallone sale un gancio di guardia, del tutto insolito.

Vela la penna di ricordare la storta dipinta del Botticelli nella Primavera

TRANSLATION

The armor is completed by details made in the heroical style, they are the petaso (in latin times, a civilian cap such as the one that the God mercurius carries, it might be compared visually to a rounded chapel de fer) and the corpetto (torso related part of the breastplate, I presume), which nobilitates the form of the pair of breastplates.

The falchion (=storta) features a round pommel with protruding (or ridged) discs, the handle (impugnatura) is shuttle shaped, the hilt features arms closed boccio - like (in the shape of a bud? or of a wine fiasco bottom? boccia is a bowling ball also ), the guard arm is lifted.
The blade section is such as a romboid sgusciato (literally: emptied of its shell, like a peeled egg), with a slanted point.
The little hand kept round shueld (rotellino, likely diminutive of rotella), being kept by a simple stick, is decorated by round vegetal motives (typically renaissance) and little palms, it protrudes skull-cap like.

MORE TO COME ..
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
wine fiasco bottom?

This condition is seen in college-town emergency rooms throughout the U.S.

Laughing Out Loud

Seriously, thanks for the translation, Bruno. This is very helpful!

-Sean

Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am undecided as to whether this is intended to be a single or double edged weapons, but I did notice something that should be taken into account.

One of the arguments for this being a single edge sword was that the top edge is clearly defined by a light colored line, while there is no such line on the bottom. My thought is that that line is supposed to represent the light reflecting off of the blade. It could be that the artist did not put that line on the bottom because it is shadowed by the rest of the blade, thus causing no reflection.

Additionally, there is a similar line on the center line of the blade. No one is suggesting that that is a sharp edge. It is simply another place where the plane of the blade is such that it catches the light..

I'm not saying that this blade is double edged; I don't know. I am suggesting that we are running a small risk of putting too much emphasis on a piece of evidence that might be unreliable or simply missinterpreted.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of double edged falchions?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: