Interesting work by Patrick Barta..............
Here's some new pics from Patrick Barta's website. This is very interesting, and historically accurate pattern welding.

First, some cross sections. We don't see pics like this very often, usually just line drawings. It's nice to see the work in finished form.
[ Linked Image ]
Now some profile shots.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Also of interest to me in this sword, newly posted by Patrick Barta of TEMPL.

Anglosaxon sword, 8th century
Pattern-welded blade, silver inlayed hilt

Attachment: 17.78 KB
templ_Anglosaxon.jpg
Anglosaxon Sword by Patrick Barta of TEMPL
Patrick seems to be another one of those sleepers, that is exceptionally talented smiths that don't get enough press. Oddly I've only seen two swords by him be purchased by folks that I am acquainted with here in the states. One was a magnificent "roman riding sword" purchased by Hugh Fuller and the other a type XX.
Someone over on SFI (a while back when I belonged) posted on his A10 (website designation) that they'd purchased. Just about the prettiest thing I've seen, swordwise. I'd love to know how robust they are, how they handle etc..
I have a non-pattern-welded sword on order from him (still about 10 months to go). I can't wait to get it (and I am already looking up custom designs for the next one by him - but he has "one sword per customer at the same time"-policy, so I have to wait...)
I like the cross sections too.
Those are some absolutely stunning patterns. I'll have to have a pattern-welded sword one of these years.

Best,
That really is exceptional stuff.
Cool stuff,

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: