Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Belt Grinder vs Belt sander Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Schaefer

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Belt Grinder vs Belt sander         Reply with quote

This may be a dumb question but i am looking to buy a belt grinder but dont really know the difference between the two if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
John Schaefer
Matthew Kelty

Reading list: 61 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers... Happy

Think of a Belt Grinder as a Belt Sander's bigger, more eccentric cousin. Same concept, abrasive belts spinning like mad, but where a Belt Grinder is so much more is in it's power, and flexibility.

For simple stock removal in a fixed plane, a belt sander will do, and a belt grinder would just give you more power, a wider surface (up to 6" as opposed to 3"), and a built in stand to work from.

Where a belt grinder comes into it's own is with the attachments. For instance, rather than a fixed surface to grind against, they usually have a "slack" section. Let's say you have a convex surface that you want to polish (like a lenticular blade). If you were stuck with a Belt sander, or a Belt grinder without a slack section, you would be required to rock your piece back and forth in order to polish the surface entirely. With a slack section, you press the entire piece into the belt, and it will pick up about 60% percent of the surface in one shot. Flip over, continue polishing.

They also usually have a variety of wheels to use. Various diameters allow you to hollow grind in different sizes of pieces, as well as shape curves at various radii (good for grinding Fullers, Pommels and complex guards).

A great tool is available from Beaumount Metal Works. It's smaller than the behemoth Burr Kings, but is great for all around "home user" types. It ain't cheap, it's not good for turning a leaf spring into a Claymore, but it's very flexible:

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/grinder.html
John Schaefer

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Belt Grinder vs Belt sander         Reply with quote

What type of belts should I use for the grinder or sander if there are any special types

Thanks

John Schaefer
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John - we couldn't begin to answer this without knowing what your intended application is... metal, wood... ferrous vs. non-ferrous... rough, polishing... all of these make a major difference. Help us help you... what do you want to grind?
-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
John Schaefer

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Belt Grinder vs Belt sander         Reply with quote

Well i need it for polishing my swords(spirng steel 5160) and some stock removal. After i am done forging it I use my angle grinder to remove all the slag and get it to look somewhat polished.From that point I am Lost on how to polish it to a fine satin finish.

Thanks
Jesse Frank
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bang for your buck, look at Grizzlys' knife sander/grinder. I've had one for years, and it has served me well. It's no KMG, but for the price, you can't beat it. It's a whole lot quieter then the angle grinder, too.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Belt Grinder vs Belt sander
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic