What have I done?
Anyone want to guess?

Nathan R. and Nathan B. can't play, they know too much.

Shane

Attachment: 42.38 KB
whathaveidone.jpg

Attachment: 67.12 KB
whathaveidone2.jpg

I quess
I quess you played around in/with Photoshop......... :lol: :lol:
Could mustard be involved here?

Bill
I think I know
but I'm not going to say...I actually want to do that, so you will have to share with me your technique once you unveil it.

For those who need a hint, look at the line on the tang... :)
The pictures suck on my laptop...

looks like a shell/inner core thing.
Hmmm...Difficult....looks like you used some odd tool or something to only grind and polish a few lines on the blade....or you had it blackened and did something to make it shiny in parts?? I have no idea, really. Looks really cool though!
My guess: Some sort of pattern welding with little or no folding if it's not just a surface cosmetic threatment.

Thin strips welded one over the other until forming a tall but narrow bar that is then turned over 90 degrees and then flattened into a blade shape with primary bevels hammered and / or ground in.

But I am really just completely guessing. :p :p :p :D

Since I don't forge and have truly minimal knowledge of how specific patterns are produced I am curious to see if what I hope is a logical conclusion based on minimal knowledge and information turns out to be even a bit right.
If I were to try and duplicate it, I would paint longitudinal stripes with a clear fingernail polish leaving uncovered strips between and then dip it in ferric chloride and let the exposed areas oxidize.

ks
It is obviously a sword for the Cat in the Hat.
Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
If I were to try and duplicate it, I would paint longitudinal stripes with a clear fingernail polish leaving uncovered strips between and then dip it in ferric chloride and let the exposed areas oxidize.

ks

... which preferentially etches the blade, giving it a pattern-welded effect. Interesting...
Ok, it is a ferric etch with a commercial resist submerged for a few hours. Of course that was taken before I cleaned it off, just to screw with people. Overall I am very happy with my result it looks pretty close to the handful of blades that were etched with the vine or woodgrain pattern. Anyway it looks more like this after it was been cleaned up. Haven't been able to get a full length shot to turn out yet.

Shane

Attachment: 104.53 KB
etchedlatene.jpg

Darn, I was going to guess that you bought a Sharpie and spent a few hours drawing wavy lines on an unfinished blade. :lol:

Brian M

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: