Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > This evenings program at the local library.................. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Job Patrick         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
She used to say, "If only these things could talk and tell us their story." I don't have a lot of good memories from my childhood but that's one of them.

We're a lot alike, my friend! I would often go with my mom and her mom. I enjoyed that often enough, until I started seeing my childhood toys in these antique shops. That experience was NOT one of my happier moments, I promise you.

My fonder memories are of sitting with my grandmother, going through family trees scribbled in the family bible, or talking about the table her parents brought with them from Sweden - an antique then, still wonderful today. Thanks for bringing those things back to my conscious thought on this not-so-good day.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good stuff Patrick, I would have ask you to show us how you get into and out of the chainmail Big Grin It's great to see what your doing at the school

Last edited by Ben Sweet on Thu 16 Jun, 2005 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:
............until I started seeing my childhood toys in these antique shops. That experience was NOT one of my happier moments, I promise you.

That's equally as unpleasant as hearing the songs from your youth on the oldies channel, and seeing the television shows you watched as a child on the classics channel!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Bill, it looks like you brought sharps as well as blunts to school. What, if any, weapons policy issues did you have to deal with?

It was actually a private school, and they specifically requested that I bring them. They'd contacted the fencing academy I teach for and all of that stuff was discussed ahead of time, so it was no problem for me to walk right in, tell them who I was (as if the plate armor didn't give that away! Wink ), and go right on out and do my demo.

I've actually done a couple demos at public schools as well, which were more or less the same. I think a large part of it is that most administrators don't think of swords as weapons, but rather interesting curiosities. I think if I brought in a knife they might have reacted differently, interestingly enough. Also, when I do these demos, I have to pick and choose my words carefully. I don't, for instance, say "killing my opponent", but "defeating my opponent", and I don't describe decapitation or any such techniques, I just say, "You get the other guy here."

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > This evenings program at the local library..................
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: