More "Gladiator" Accuracy Issues
We have had a number of film discussions in this forum, including some on Gladiator, the good and the bad. I hope that I am not boring you all by bringing up this film again. However, I just noticed something that I hadn't before.

Much of the Roman legionary armor in the opening Germania battle scene is presented as lorica segmentata. However, on closer examination, I notice that the "armor" only covers chest and back, not the sides of the torso. Oh well, I suppose it was less expensive, and also more comfortable for the extras, than a "real" lorica segmentata would have been.
Yeah, but considering that the movie ends by strongly implying that the Roman Republic was reestablished, I think that armor is the least of our worries. ;)
Good point. :lol: I guess there was never a reign of Septimus Severus, or Caracalla, or ..... Whatever.

Hey Sam - when did you come back from Japan?
Sam Barris wrote:
Yeah, but considering that the movie ends by strongly implying that the Roman Republic was reestablished, I think that armor is the least of our worries. ;)

Great point Sam.

I had a similar thought... But then I am always trying to find some way to make sense of a scene. So I considered that, in the showdown between Commodus and Maximus, it is clear that the Darth Vaderesque Praetorians are in control of the situation. So in my mind I imagined that the Roman Republic was only restored until the end of the credits when the Praetorians changed their mind and selected a new emperor. :D

ks
The next emperor was a guy named Pertinax, who lasted a very short time. The Praetorians then put the office up at auction. The highest bidder was named Didius Julianus. He didn't last long either. Shortly after that, one of the most destructive civil wars in Rome's history broke out. When the smoke cleared Septimus Severus was in charge. From then on the army picked the emperor.

Through all this there wasn't one peep about restoring the Republic.
Steve Grisetti wrote:
Hey Sam - when did you come back from Japan?

I've been here since March. New assignment and all. :) Missed the Cherry Blossom Festival this year though. :(

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: