Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > And, Introducing the NextGen Munich Sword... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Actually, you never know: perhaps you like this sword best exactly as it is!? Judging just from a photo or a drawing can be very misleading. I think you would be surprised by this sword.

Hi Peter,

You are no doubt right (as has happened before if I recall correctly), and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I fell for the Munich's charms the day it is released. Until that day however, I will probably remain my usual whining self. Wink
Whatever the outcome may be, thank you for your reaction and insights.

(And Mona Lisa....welllll......, as with the Munich and it's maker, Leonardo probably knew something I don't... Laughing Out Loud)
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To me the length of the grip as compared to the blade is what seemed to give it a wonderfully proportionate view. The entire form just seems to call out "smooooth balance" with the swing. Yes, I have handled Patrick's Regent and it's an amazing blade. I do prefer a bit more grip for control with my hands and the Munich seems to fit the bill. My guess would be that the in-swing turning would be easily controllable at any apex point you could want to choose. Anton; like you I too have fetish for "over-the-top" long-bladed swords, as Patrick will attest to. It's that crazy Scots blood in me, LOL. Peter, it sounds like you have a preference for this particular sword design yourself. Perhaps something you saw as you created it?
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The long hilt increases tip-control somewhat. Same as with the Svante.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:
To me the length of the grip as compared to the blade is what seemed to give it a wonderfully proportionate view. The entire form just seems to call out "smooooth balance" with the swing. Yes, I have handled Patrick's Regent and it's an amazing blade. I do prefer a bit more grip for control with my hands and the Munich seems to fit the bill. My guess would be that the in-swing turning would be easily controllable at any apex point you could want to choose. Anton; like you I too have fetish for "over-the-top" long-bladed swords, as Patrick will attest to. It's that crazy Scots blood in me, LOL. Peter, it sounds like you have a preference for this particular sword design yourself. Perhaps something you saw as you created it?

Gregg,

As with all of Peter's work this sword is based upon an existing original that is one of Peter's personal favorites. There are some photos of the original here in this thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=4026

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,
I stand by a statement made about you this weekend: "Evil, pure unadulterated evil". I liked the sword before.....now I'm going through one of those "how in the heck am I going to afford this??!!!" syndromes. You knew what those pics would do to me, didn't you? Don't worry, what comes around, goes around mwhahahahahahahaa. Can't wait to see what Peter's version actually looks like!

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:
Patrick,
I stand by a statement made about you this weekend: "Evil, pure unadulterated evil". I liked the sword before.....now I'm going through one of those "how in the heck am I going to afford this??!!!" syndromes. You knew what those pics would do to me, didn't you? Don't worry, what comes around, goes around mwhahahahahahahaa. Can't wait to see what Peter's version actually looks like!

What can I say, it's a gift. Evil

I love this design too. It has to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing longsword designs I've seen. I may wind up in the "How can I..........." boat myself. I actually had an order placed for this one once and changed it to the Reeve.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

A long grip is not just to "balance" a heavy blade. There is nothing unwieldly about this sword. It is the perfect opposite of unwieldly! There are other aspects that a long grip will give a sword apart from counterbalancing a heavy blade. It changes the way nodes are placed (and interact) and have a great impact in the placing of pivot points (where the sword will want to turn in mid air as you wield it). This has dramatic effect in handling and peformance.

Hey Peter,

Is the NextGeneration Munich (and its original brethren) designed to be used like any other longsword (i.e. the Talhoffer)? I would sorta think so if its overall length is 50 inches or so the webpage says. On the other hand, the very long grip and the long, slender blade make it look like a zweihander (and thus could be used as such). The blade also looks narrow enough that the user could half-sword with it -- a technique I would be very reluctant to do with any Type XVIII. Judging by its mint condition, I'd be hard-pressed to think that the original was used in combat or a duel. But if it was, how do you suppose it was wielded?

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay, November has come and gone, I'm sure Peter had a good trip, and it looks like a lot of stuff is coming to fruition. BUT....inquiring minds want to know: Did you guys get any further on the details of this sword???? Egad, the obsession, what's happening to me? Someone please, take me out of my misery and tell me there is a glimmer of hope..........

Thank you for your understanding. Yes, I'll take my meds now......... Wink

Greg

Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Griggs wrote:
Okay, November has come and gone, I'm sure Peter had a good trip, and it looks like a lot of stuff is coming to fruition. BUT....inquiring minds want to know: Did you guys get any further on the details of this sword???? Egad, the obsession, what's happening to me? Someone please, take me out of my misery and tell me there is a glimmer of hope..........

Thank you for your understanding. Yes, I'll take my meds now......... Wink

Greg

Hey, were all very curious but please be careful not to spoil the recipe but rushing it. Big Grin Razz

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregger,

The ox moves slow but the earth is patient. Razz
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Gregger,

The ox moves slow but the earth is patient. Razz

But, but... G-man and I want to know how "Ochs" moves! Wink

Funny, as bad as I want to have this piece, we never once discussed it during my trip up. I'm surprisingly patient on this one. When it comes, it comes.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The first thing to get done is the blade.
That is designed and handed over to Steve, who will work out the CNC programming.
When that is done and the forst proto blade is shipped to me, it all depends on how close this is to where it must be.
If it is spot on (and I think it will be) then I will make the waxes.

We had a number of tweakings on designs to go through. YouŽd be surpriced at how many details go together in a seemingly "Simple" design (this relates both to various blades already in production, but also to the Munich). Before this is done on exisitng models and those first in line of development, Styeve will not have time to get going with the Munich.
I cannot even guess how long this will take. It can go quickly.

Apart from various projects in my own smithy, I am working to complete waxes for the messers, the Sherrif, the Kingmaker, the Vassal & the Chieftain.
What comes next depends on many things.

Sorry not to be able to tell more for certain.
It is good to hear this sword is anticipated as it is a personal favourite of mine.

DonŽt let the anticipation become a misery and pain: that would srt of kill the fun ;-)
The process is started and will run through its various stages. As soon as ever possible, but without rushing things: that is when it will be ready.
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,
Thank you for the quick response, and aye, you fully answered my question. I would never beg to hurry a project like this, but was merely wondering if this was still one of the "many" items on your to-do list. Actually, I do know a bit of the process it takes to make it right, and I'm very glad you guys are making these swords the way it should be done. We receive a much finer product because of your attention to the details. Sounds like you had a very productive trip this time, and that several projects are moving forward at least as well as expected. Also, I'm quite jealous of Aaron having the opportunity to see/visit all the folks that are bringing us these beautiful specimens, and plan on making that trip myself someday. Wink

Yes, the anticipation can be a large part of the fun, and therefore the humor in my post. Thanks for giving us something else to look forward too, Peter and Howey!

Best wishes,
Greg

Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Apart from various projects in my own smithy, I am working to complete waxes for the messers, the Sherrif, the Kingmaker, the Vassal & the Chieftain.
What comes next depends on many things.

Finish the messers you will. *uses Jedi mind-trick*
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heh, you're probably not in a hurry, Joachim, as you just got a Talhoffer! Let's not be greedy... Laughing Out Loud (just kidding, let's be greedy and buy them all)
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Heh, you're probably not in a hurry, Joachim, as you just got a Talhoffer! Let's not be greedy... Laughing Out Loud (just kidding, let's be greedy and buy them all)

LOL! Yeah, you're absolutely right about that. Need to get some wear and tear on the grip of my Talhoffer first. Razz
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Albion web site was recently updated with some new Next Generation sword models, and new release dates for some 2005 models that did not get produced in 2005. I am interested because I have order #2 for the Munich sword. I ordered it the first day it was offered, with Christmas hopes of late 2005 manufacture. Now the web site says the Munich will be produced late in 2006.

Is the new web site release date of "late" 2006 an error for the Munich? I am hoping so, since trial production of the blade has commenced according prior portions of this post. I am hoping expected production is more like "first quarter of 2006" as opposed to late "2006". I will not complain, since I trust Albion's judgement in deciding if it is truly ready to produce. However, the difference in the dates affects my plans on "when to buy more!"

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
The Albion web site was recently updated with some new Next Generation sword models, and new release dates for some 2005 models that did not get produced in 2005.

We are trying to keep our release dates realistic, if not overly pessimistic. Since we established most of the earlier release dates, Peter has had a child (well, his wife did) and now they have another on the way. Peter has his own custom work, several shows a year, several seminar talks a year, and now increased demands of home and family time. Nevertheless, Peter is doing an outstanding job continuing the development of new models at a very fast pace.

When in doubt, we have set the public deadline very far out. We'd rather be early than disappoint, if at all possible.

The most important factor for us is to deliver a quality product and to not declare that a piece is "done" until it is the best we can make it. That sometimes leads to redesigning blades or hilt components as we discover new wrinkles along the way, moving release dates back.

There are many things that can go wrong, but only one way it can go right.

We hate to let anyone down, or to miss a public deadline. Please try to be patient with us. I promise that when we are finally done with any particular model, you will agree that it was worth the wait.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
I promise that when we are finally done with any particular model, you will agree that it was worth the wait.

Best,

Howy

Amen to that!
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:
I promise that when we are finally done with any particular model, you will agree that it was worth the wait.

Best,

Howy

Amen to that!

It's all good Howy Big Grin

We're not going anywhere Cool

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > And, Introducing the NextGen Munich Sword...
Page 5 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: