Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > And, Introducing the NextGen Munich Sword... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 
Sam Barris

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That one is definitely on my list, but I wonder if it might look even cooler with one of Mr. Fletcher's Gothic hilts.
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blasphemy!

I think it's perfect the way it is! Staying true to the original (historical) design is the only way to go. If you change it... it becomes a different sword all together... and this sword sounds very special.

Travis
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I see where Sam is coming from: Doesn't the original date to a time often called 'Gothic?' Or maybe that term is more associated with the post-Romanesque cathedrals. Confused Of course, anyone who buys this sword is certainly free to send it to Mr. Fletcher for a little "surgical procedure." I myself would have it just the way it is.

Man, every time someone adds to this topic, I see it on myArmoury's homepage list of recent discussion topics. I then get excited thinking the Munich is actually finished and that Howy has posted pics! Surprised

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Definitely quite a bit of temptation from this one, but I just don't have the space for it.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Travis Canaday wrote:
Staying true to the original (historical) design is the only way to go. If you change it... it becomes a different sword all together...

You mean the historical design that they already altered in making the Next Gen version? It's the Museum Line version that will be the exact replica.

I don't know, I just think that, aesthetically, the shape of the hilt would lend itself well to that kind of treatment. I've got several months before I can buy it, so I have plenty of time to fantasize about it both ways. Happy

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Travis Canaday wrote:
Staying true to the original (historical) design is the only way to go. If you change it... it becomes a different sword all together...

You mean the historical design that they already altered in making the Next Gen version? It's the Museum Line version that will be the exact replica.

I don't know, I just think that, aesthetically, the shape of the hilt would lend itself well to that kind of treatment. I've got several months before I can buy it, so I have plenty of time to fantasize about it both ways. Happy

Sam, if you decide to go custom with the grip on this one, make sure the grip is properly waisted (having the same general shape as the grip core that is on the NG version). These grips with partial wire wrap belongs to the 15th C and sits well on a late 15th C sword (while not so good on a 14th C sword if you strive for period style). The wire wrapped part should have a clear taper and is usually stepped down from the lower part of the grip. The whole grip should be shaped like a drawn out bottle.

It could be stunning Happy
I´d like to see that myself.
I am not sure if it is within the realm of possible to offer this as an option directly from Albion. We´ll see about that. Perhaps?
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam,

For some reason I thought you were talking about replacing the cross and pommel as well. You can see how that would make it quite a different sword. I realize the NG version is much more simple than the original and the ML version (even that one won't be gilded).

misunderstanding on my part....

Travis
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Sam, if you decide to go custom with the grip on this one, make sure the grip is properly waisted (having the same general shape as the grip core that is on the NG version). These grips with partial wire wrap belongs to the 15th C and sits well on a late 15th C sword (while not so good on a 14th C sword if you strive for period style). The wire wrapped part should have a clear taper and is usually stepped down from the lower part of the grip. The whole grip should be shaped like a drawn out bottle.

It could be stunning Happy
I´d like to see that myself.
I am not sure if it is within the realm of possible to offer this as an option directly from Albion. We´ll see about that. Perhaps?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I love the shape of the grip, especially the waisted upper segment, and wouldn't want it to be altered in any way. Like the rest of the sword, the shape and proportions just scream perfection. I should think that the existing wooden core could be used, just wrapped differently. I have a feeling that the Sword Gods are going to insist on this one. Can't very well tell them no, can I? Happy

Travis Canaday wrote:
For some reason I thought you were talking about replacing the cross and pommel as well. You can see how that would make it quite a different sword. I realize the NG version is much more simple than the original and the ML version (even that one won't be gilded).

misunderstanding on my part....

Oh, heavens no. I see where the accusation of blasphemy came from now. Yeah, the guard and pommel compliment the blade too perfectly to even consider replacing them. Happy

Pax,
Sam Barris

Rod Walker

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My apologies if I have missed this anywhere else.

When might this be available?

I have been waiting with bated breath for it's release.

I must admit that one of the first things I would do if I obtained this sword would be to have the grip altered so the upper section was twisted wire wrapped. I do love that look. I would also be making a scabbard and belt worthy of it.

This would be the perfect sword for my 15thC kit.

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rod Walker wrote:
My apologies if I have missed this anywhere else.

When might this be available?

I have been waiting with bated breath for it's release.

I must admit that one of the first things I would do if I obtained this sword would be to have the grip altered so the upper section was twisted wire wrapped. I do love that look. I would also be making a scabbard and belt worthy of it.

This would be the perfect sword for my 15thC kit.

Hey Rod,

I have the first Munich blade beside me as I write this.I am veyr happy wioth the way it came out. It is extremely close to the original.
The waxes for this sword is the next on the list of originals to carve.
Really looking forward to doing that actually.
Carving hilt originals is an interesting task. Having a good blade to work with makes even more enjoyable.

You should not have to wait much longer for this one, but I am sorry not being able to tell you exactly.
I have submitted quite a few hilt waxes to Albion and they are working their way through them.
I know they are eager to get this one out as well as am I.

Best
Peter
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for that Peter. Very much looking forward to seeing the finished article.

I am not sure if you knew, but I was in Upsalla for a jousting tournament 3 weeks ago and Klas and Ullis were hoping to get us along to meet you. Unfortunately you were in the US that weekend.

I must admit that I was dissapointed not to meet you. Hopefully next year.

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too am anxiously awaiting.

I understand that the Benefactor program may have altered my priority in the shipping, but happen to know from Howard's reply after I placed my order that I was originally order #2 (taking about 1 hour to decide to spend this much money after Albion posted this thread. Aaron Shnatterly had already placed order #1.) I actually do not care if it does take a year, since each new Albion tends to be a favorite. It is cheaper if they stretch out.......

Many of the other swords at Albion's web site have very nice historical context descriptions (who would have used them, when, and where.) I feel the Munich deserves an addition of that type of information to its present sales description. It is the dream sword I had in my head but could not point to a real world example of it (except maybe the Vasteras Sword) until you announced plans to construct it.

Thankyou!

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An update:

The Munich waxes are done and waiting to be shipped to Albion.
I now only have to finalize the grip prototype. This includes a bare wooden core and a covered one to serve as template and example for Joel.

Rod:
It was really unfortunate that I was visiting Albion when you were in Uppsala jousting.
I had been asked to do a presentation with a visit to my smithy to you jousters. I would have loved that, but the event ended as I was flying home over the Atlantic back to Sweden.
Next time perhaps?
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't wait to see this one in steel!
www.addisondelisle.com
Allen W

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So which usually comes first the blade blank or the hilt waxes?
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen W wrote:
So which usually comes first the blade blank or the hilt waxes?

Always the blade.

You need the blade down to finished dimensions before you can even start working on the actual hilt.
There might be develped sketches and plans, but final dimensions and actual carving has to wait unti the blade and its character has let itself be known.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates and info, Peter! I really can't wait to see the Munich in all its glory.

Awhile back, there was talk of a Museum Line version of this sword. Thoughts or news of this?

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > And, Introducing the NextGen Munich Sword...
Page 6 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: