Photos and some specs - antique left handed parrying dagger
I'm about to put this up on ebay for the owner, but I thought I'd share the images here fwiw. Kinda cool to see something like this and play with it for a while. Serious piece of steel... And with all the discussions of modern reproductions it is always nice to look at what appears to be a mostly original old piece.

Left Handed Parrying Dagger, probably Italian (guess), also probably 1500's (another guess).
Overall length is 15-1/8"
Blade length is 10-3/4"
Width at base of blade is 19mm
Thickness at base is 5mm thickening out to 8mm then tapers to 6.5 at the end of the fullers near the tip.
Diamond cross section.
Ring diameter (exterior) is about 1-1/4"

The handle is wrapped in wire with some rather nice work. The handle has a sort of helix shaping which is remarkably comfortable in the hand.

I'll post photos in the next few posts as I finish working on them.
First bunch o' photos.

Attachment: 34.36 KB
overall.jpg

Attachment: 123.37 KB
handle-guard.jpg

Next set

Attachment: 65.53 KB
helixhandle.jpg

Attachment: 99.93 KB
piercings.jpg

Attachment: 67.36 KB
ring.jpg

Attachment: 68.91 KB
ring2.jpg

More...

Attachment: 63.14 KB
backguard.jpg

Attachment: 83.63 KB
backhandle.jpg

Attachment: 98.14 KB
blade.jpg

Nice, detailed photos, Keith! Thanks for those and the stats as well.
Re: Photos and some specs - antique left handed parrying dag
Keith Larman wrote:

Left Handed Parrying Dagger, probably Italian (guess), also probably 1500's (another guess).
Blade length is 10-3/4"

What does it weigh?
Keith Larman wrote:

Very nice, it looks like a 'Pistolese' dagger (named afte the city of 'Pistoia' in Northern Italy), end of XVIc. -> XVIIc. .

Sani!
Alberto...
George Hill wrote:
Keith Larman wrote:

Blade length is 10-3/4"

What does it weigh?

Sorry for being so long to get back -- been busy finishing a sword.

Weight of the dagger is 12 ounces almost exactly (according to my digital postal scale).

I'll be putting it up on ebay later today. I'm sorta sad to see it go -- very comfortable dagger in the hand.
Oh very nice. Del Tin's new Dussack has a grip shaped like that, and you are right, it turns out it is very comfortable. Now I have to go find that auction... any hints as to what it's listed under? I really like this piece! :)
Nah, not up yet. A family emergency cropped up a few days ago and I've been flailing around trying to get things done. So it went on the back burner for a bit until I could get some things finished. Probably later today.

You can search under my ebay ID, kdlarman. I've got a bunjinkan book up on sale right now so if you search for me that's what you'll find at the moment. I'm probably going to throw that halberd up I posted on earlier in the next day or two as well.
Finally some time...

I just finished listing the dagger on ebay. #7329355362

I've been given wildly different estimates on value on the piece. So I started the bidding below the lowest estimate I got -- 500 with no reserve. We'll see how it does...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: