Sword info
Hi, can anybody please tell me something about this sword replica (e.g. to which period does the original of this sword belong to, type of this sword...) ?

Attachment: 6.23 KB
012.JPG

This is either a type XII or XIIa. Common in the 13th and 14th centuries.

http://www.algonet.se/%7Eenda/oakeshott_eng.htm
It really looks like type XIIa but isn't the dimension of this sword too big for this type? The length of the blade is 35" (90 cm) and the length of the grip is 8" (20 cm) and I guess it should be basically hand-and-half sword. Could it be this type even though?
It was hard to tell the size by the photo. By those measurements it would classify as a XIIIa. Though, it may be able to squeeze in as a XIIa. The same time period applies to the XIIIa as the XIIa, just a different region.
At first I thought it would be rather XVII type, but it seems it isn't. Thanks for helping me with classifying this sword.
What is the cross-section of the blade? Is it flattened diamond, lenticular, or hexagonal?
The cross-section of the blade is broad-fullered.
Pleaser read this article to learn what I mean when I ask of cross-section: Understanding Blade Properties

That blade looks hexagonal to me, but I can't be certain because the photo gets very dark on the blade. If so, that would rule out most Oakeshott blade types in a heartbeat.
I've already read that article and the blade cross-section is really fullered, but the fuller looks to me something between narrow and broad.
Vaclav N wrote:
I've already read that article and the blade cross-section is really fullered, but the fuller looks to me something between narrow and broad.

The fuller is a completely different element than the cross-section. It's often difficult to figure out of it's a hex, lenticular, or diamond with that fuller dug in there, but if you look at the areas above and below the fuller (the areas without a fuller), you can hopefully figure it out.

In that article where it talks about "narrow-fullered", "broad-fullered", etc, it shows it on a lenticular cross-section, but a diamond or hex can also have various widths of fullers, too.
Regarding the Oakeshott types mentioned in this topic:

A typical Type XII or Type XIII (and each of their subtypes) will have a lenticular cross-section.

A typical Type XVII will have a hexagonal cross-section.

A typical Type XVI will have a diamond cross-section, and a typical Type XVIa will have a hexagonal cross-section.
Vaclav N wrote:
It really looks like type XIIa but isn't the dimension of this sword too big for this type? The length of the blade is 35" (90 cm) and the length of the grip is 8" (20 cm) and I guess it should be basically hand-and-half sword. Could it be this type even though?

According to Oakeshott's "Records of the Medieval Sword" the types XIIa and XIIIa are war swords of hand-and-half and two-handed size. The specs on this sword put it right into that range. It looks like a XIIa with an almost fantasy hilt to me, definitely tapers to acutly to be a XIIIa.

Alex
Nathan Robinson wrote:
The fuller is a completely different element than the cross-section. It's often difficult to figure out of it's a hex, lenticular, or diamond with that fuller dug in there, but if you look at the areas above and below the fuller (the areas without a fuller), you can hopefully figure it out.

OK, now I see what you mean. The cross-section is diamond.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: