Navarro Vol 3&4
Ok, I've posted this in a couple of prominent forums, but since I first learned of Navarro's works *here* maybe someone can help?

I just got "Finds from the Site of La Tene: Scabbards and the Swords Found in Them" by JM de Navarro via ILL.

Now, in the Introduction he states how he came about to write these books, AND he indicates that Vol 3 will be daily life artifacts and Vol 4 will be about Dress (or more specifically, Fibulae) artifacts.

Has anyone seen these volumes? Did he ever publish them? If so, what titles do they bear?

Also, I've got to say that these texts are FANTASTIC, 'a must have', for anyone interested in Continental Iron Age Celtic blades. Plenty of detailed photos and info! Thanks to the people who've been posting in the Celtic Sword threads!!
Where did you get your copy?
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Where did you get your copy?

I just checked Amazon - there's 1 copy available there for like $350. Too rich for my blood... Any other sources? It'd be a nice addition to my library as well.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I managed to buy a set. I have via ILL (Inter Library Loan). I am, however, probably going to photocopy them in their entirety, since they are no longer being published.

But I'm also interested to find out about Volumes 3&4. Given the shear number of sword and scabbard artifacts they've got to be an increadable treasure trove! I knew LaTene was a major find but I had no idea just how extensive it was until I saw these books.
Second that these are great books. I encourage people who get them to not only read, but study and delve into the cross references and modern author's references back, as well. There is a *ton* of info there, but it does need active study to get the full value.

Although it's never explicitly stated, I am pretty sure the poor man died before he was able to publish these volumes. Recent articles and books on the swords, fibulae, shields and spears all reference the first 2 volumes. Navarro did publish numerous individual articles, however, on specific finds and pieces.

I am lucky enough to have a signed copy of his article on the "doctor's grave"

:D :D :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: