Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How do you display your collection? Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Joseph Minarick

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: How do you display your collection?         Reply with quote

I am curious how others display thier collections, armour primarily, but weapons as well. I will be building a house when I get back state-side, and I intend to set aside some space for my toys.

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Dominic Dellavalle

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At this point my wife and I are still living out of a one bedroom apartment so space is at a premium. Unfortunately that means much of my stuff is carefully stowed in the closet, however, within the next two months we'll be moving into our first home and I've already claimed a room as something of a personal "museum".

Weapons tend to be easiest for me since I tend to hang them on the wall behind and above my armor. I try and set them in a pattern with some of the swords on an angle, whatever makes it asthetic. I do make sure that everything I hang is either against a stud or using a wall anchor if not. The last thing I want is for any of my weapons to come crashing to the floor, tip first especially.

As for armor PVC has been my friend. For relatively little money you can make a trip to the local plumbing supply or hardware store and pick up a variety of pieces, bends, etc, enough to make a sturdy stand. I generally use 3" sch 40 for the base and then 2" sch 40 along with some ells if I need to make shoulders or arms. It all depends on what type of suit you are hanging. To keep the base from tipping over you can cut a square of 3/4" plywood and affix it to the PVC. Another option, the one I took, was to purchase a PVC drain which was 8" x 8" grate with the pipe fitting underneath. Inverted it acts as a nice flat and stable surface.

For the several maille hauberks I have, a simple t-styled display base works great. Throw a little primer and paint on it and it works well enough. For the couple transitional suits I have I ended up adding on extra pieces for arms so I could display all the pieces of the armor. When it came to the one full milanese suit I have I broke down and spent the money on a stand I found online. I debated on building my own, but just didnt have the time to map out how to attach the legs, arms, gauntlets, etc.

Wood is also another medium that works fine and is easy to manipulate into the desired shape, although cost wise I think you'll find it more expensive then PVC. The upside being that it can be stained and varnished and will probably look nice, especially if you have the patience and tools to do some scroll work on the exposed lumber.

I'm sure others will throw in their opinions as well. If I get a chance tonight I'll strip down one or two of my displays and take a couple digital pictures and post them tomorrow.

Dominic
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dominic has already hit on a couple of the main ways of displaying armour, primarily for the body. If, however, you are helm-heavy, there are some other options. Fundamentally, what is used is some form of a post on a base – kind of like the countertop paper towel dispensers. These should be exceedingly simple to make – either buy or make a suitable base from wood, and attach anything from a simple dowel to a fancy turned spindle or table leg. If you want / need, a wooden ball or tennis ball can be mounted on top to provide a bit more stable platform for the helm to sit. These look nice on or on top of a set of shelves.

I have been working between other projects on a design for a couple of different armour stands from wood. One suit is maille, head to foot. Since the feet are soled, I cannot have the legs actually bolt down to the base, so will be setting up something like a double cross – one cross member at the “hips” to hang the legs from, and one for the shoulders. I likely will just use rolled up poster board to fill in the arms and legs under clothing set up inside, or, since there is no pose or face, I may just let it hang as if on display at an armourer’s shop. The other is a full 16th Century harness. For this, I do intend on separate legs and full arms. This one is proving a bit more of a challenge than my free time has allowed of late, but the armour should be finished soon, so it is moving upwards on my project list.

Some of my swords are currently set up on a free-standing 10-sword rack that was designed for Asian swords. Don’t do this. The guards conflict horribly. The rest, well… safely in the closet until I can devise a better way. I have also been working on a design for a cabinet like a glass gun case. It’s looking to be between 6 and 8 feet wide, 6 feet tall and about 18 inches deep. I have put this on hold due to cost – this would not only entail wood purchases, but a couple of not-so-cheap tools as well. It would be cheaper, I think, to build shelving or displays into the room than build separate furniture, but it does limit you to a single way of displaying it. Collections tend to change (mine just keeps expanding somehow Razz ) and some degree of flexibility is desirable.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Simple answer is, I don't. My wife doesn't like the look so my stuff resides in a safe. It's safer that way anyhow since I have small children and ironically enough no scabbards for my own swords.

If I were building a house though I would build a display case into an interior wall.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a wall in the back room of my house where I keep my "stuff". Everything comes down and goes into the safe when I leave town. I'm blessed with an understanding wife. This is the only room I get though. Big Grin

Here's a quick and dirty helmet stand I made. I think it cost me all of $3.00 and about half and hours worth of time.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My stuff is in my signature. feel free to browse...
The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Believe it or not, the only way I display my collection is on My Collection Gallery here on myArmoury.com. I don't have any of my items, save for a forge-folded Cicada Forge katana (which ironically is not featured on-line) out in the open in my house.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
William C Champlin

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: How do I display my collection ?         Reply with quote

Mine's all over in small groups and seems to change with my / my wife's mood.( that's MacDonald of MacDonald the Lord of the Isles with a clan crest and a green man from Rosslyn chapel) I also have a couple of helms on stands on table and bookshelf. W.

Attachment: 40.65 KB
MVC-012S.JPG

tweetchris
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
...Here's a quick and dirty helmet stand I made. I think it cost me all of $3.00 and about half and hours worth of time.

Similar concept. Cost me $8-10 at Lowe's, IIRC, but took less time. It is just a paper towel holder.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Simple answer is, I don't. My wife doesn't like the look so my stuff resides in a safe. It's safer that way anyhow since I have small children and ironically enough no scabbards for my own swords....

Huh? No scabbards?? Ya mean like the cobbler whose children have no shoes??? Eek! Eek!
Micha Hofmann

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm planning to put my longswords up on a wall display.
But until I get to that,I entrust the majority of my blades to my loyal squire:

Attachment: 122.98 KB
DSCN0412klein.jpg
Most of my swords and my "squire"...
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
Simple answer is, I don't. My wife doesn't like the look so my stuff resides in a safe. It's safer that way anyhow since I have small children and ironically enough no scabbards for my own swords....

Huh? No scabbards?? Ya mean like the cobbler whose children have no shoes??? Eek! Eek!

Pretty much... when do I have time to do scabbards for my swords? Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Dominic Dellavalle

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few shots of the displays I have currently setup in the apartment. Unfortunately my skill with a digital camera is rather minimal so I apologize ahead of time for the poor lighting and angles. Hopefully this gives you some ideas, albeit basic, but still functional for what I need.

Dominic

Attachment: 75.48 KB
display1.jpg
This is my transitional harness, with PVC making up most of the display. I used some cable ties as well to help support the arms

Attachment: 52.13 KB
display1-base.jpg
This time a shot of the base I mentioned in my first post. 8" x 8" PVC drain grate, inverted to form the base

Attachment: 66.28 KB
display-maille.jpg
The same display this time with my maille hauberk in place.

Attachment: 93.65 KB
display-maille-bare.jpg
Maille hauberk display stripped down. I added a coupling in the center so that I can easily lift off the entire suit without disassembling everything. Sorry for the poor lighting on this one

Attachment: 124.22 KB
display-coif2.jpg
One of my coifs, this one I wanted to add atop one of my suits so I put a 1" dowel in the base of the styrofoam and then drilled another in the top of the PVC. Drop it in and its done

Attachment: 71.44 KB
display-wife.jpg
My wifes ren costume (no historical accuracy whatsoever, but she likes it). It gives a good idea of the various bends you can use to make the arms. Still needs a paint job :)

Attachment: 32.03 KB
display-coif1.jpg
A couple of my coifs on the table. Just used a styrofoam head I got for a couple dollars at a beautician supply store along with a piece of plexi-glass glued on to act as a stable base
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the old days, when the armor stood up like a 'man was in it' but there wasn't, how did they do that?
To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
In the old days, when the armor stood up like a 'man was in it' but there wasn't, how did they do that?

In reality, with an armour stand, either of wood or of metal, and of varying complexity and design.

In the Three Stooges, it was a careful balancing act - hard to have it crumble to a pile of rubble with a stand! Razz

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

functional wares in a small corner of my basement work-shop
a few "wall hangers" in the liviing room and my U-C LOTR collection in the family room.

Bill

Attachment: 61.22 KB
Functional wall.jpg

Attachment: 24.63 KB
sword display.jpg

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dominic Dellavalle wrote:
Here are a few shots of the displays I have currently setup in the apartment. Unfortunately my skill with a digital camera is rather minimal so I apologize ahead of time for the poor lighting and angles. Hopefully this gives you some ideas, albeit basic, but still functional for what I need.
Dominic

Dominic - those displays look pretty good. But, you might consider painting some beards on those styrofoam heads, to make them look a little more like "manly men" Laughing Out Loud .
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Dominic - those displays look pretty good. But, you might consider painting some beards on those styrofoam heads, to make them look a little more like "manly men" Laughing Out Loud .

Oh, If you decide to do this, don't use solvent-based markers, glues, or paints... unless you want them to look like they had a severe run-in with a horde of Huskarl's axes! Test it on a styrofoam cup first. Styrofoam melts.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My collection isn't so much "displayed" as it is "laying about the place." I have an Atrim on a chest of drawers (in which I keep my drawers oddly enough.) Leaning in the corner is a gigantic Marto SLO. I have an double headed axe leaning up against another wall, and keep the India made rapier, and sharpened crowbar in the closet out of shame. Sad

Once I get a few more peices I actually want to show off I might buy one of those stands from Sharp Woodworks. I just have no idea where I'll put it. Eek! :
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 21 May, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are several threads on this around if you use the Search function.

Here's one on how I display my collection:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1767

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How do you display your collection?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: