Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Reinforced tips - why not always do this? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reinforced tips - why not always do this?         Reply with quote

Hi everybody. Please help me understand this.

You don't use a tip, generally, for cutting. It's for stabbing. If I am right, why not always have a reinforced tip? I understand that it is harder to do and so you might not do it for labour or cost reasons. Setting those aside...why not?

Maybe it messes up the balance? Would it really mess it up that much? On daggers, I don't think that matters much.

Thanks!
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jul, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adding extra weight to the tip would affect the balance more than adding weight somewhere else. This is the principle that Indian clubs take advantage of. I am not sure how much that mattered. I have heard that historical swords are poorly balanced, or at least the balance is all over the place.
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jul, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Ryan.

Yeah I think for swords it would matter a lot more because of balance. I'm just not so sure for daggers. If you have a needle point, it might be great for getting through soft armours I guess, but isn't there a significant threat of tip breakages? Maybe I'm wrong about that, but that seems to be, precisely, the reason for the reinforced tip.
Bart M

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul, 2024 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suppose a reinforced tip makes sense when you want to stab an enemy in a military context, e.g. wearing maille. An example would be the late Roman gladius or maybe some of the Castillon hoard swords .

From my limited experience testing stuff, thicker and strongly reinforced points are actually worse at penetrating cloth and meat, compared to a standard pointy and properly sharpened tip. It is a trade off and a compromise, like almost everything in arms and armour. The durability and ability to put more force into stabbing a heavily armoured enemy, becomes a drawback against lightly armoured enemies.

edit. Now that I think about it, my argument doesn't make as much sense as I had thought. After all, a soldier would wear some sort of a gambeson under and/or over maille. But maybe having a reinforced tip was still worth it for durability reasons, or at least for peace of mind. Besides, swords were probably not used that much in most battles and pole weapons or bows were the main thing anyway. I'm pretty sure the point below still stands, as it is based on my experiments.

Another reason, related to swords of Type X (Dark Ages to XII century) and similar, is that a lot of arming swords, especially shorter ones ca.70cm can be efficiently used for tip cuts. These, the way I see it, would be mostly used in a non-military context, when both combatants wear normal clothing. These won't kill outright, but let you use your maximum range with a weapon and can definitely put whoever you are facing out of the fight very quickly.

Last edited by Bart M on Tue 09 Jul, 2024 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Bart. The non-military context makes sense!
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jul, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HI Dan,

They seem to be around, but not that common, so presumably not amazingly useful or they would be everywhere, but I mainly associate them with military knives, though I have seen a couple of bollock daggers with very subtle and very small reinforced tips.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jul, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Tod! Yeah that sure seems to be the case! Although one exception might be khanjar's in the mid-east where they seem to be fairly common - although a lot of those are pretty fancy. So, maybe, it's also aesthetics? A reinforced tip is harder to do and so it adds a bit of extra fancy to your fancy dagger? Of course, it could be a lot of reasons mixed together...it's probably complicated (like everything!).
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jul, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The more you reinforce and build up the tip, the harder it is to penetrate armour because you are increasing its surface area. IMO these reinforced tips are intended to stop them from breaking when they incidentally hit bone or armour.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Pedro Paulo Gaião

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jul, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bart M wrote:
From my limited experience testing stuff, thicker and strongly reinforced points are actually worse at penetrating cloth and meat, compared to a standard pointy and properly sharpened tip. It is a trade off and a compromise, like almost everything in arms and armour. The durability and ability to put more force into stabbing a heavily armoured enemy, becomes a drawback against lightly armoured enemies.

edit.

Even though you eddited I'm still giving my two cents: I cant really see how reinforced tips would be worse. I own an Alexandria type XVIIIc inspired by Albion Principe, wih an reinforced tip (some 2-3mm thick). I kept it blunt for my own safety (which still can wound me when I'm polishing to the point I flowed blood from my fingers after I slipped them over the thin edge). I once tested it against some 2.5in thick raw beef, the cut obviously did nothing, but I managed to pierce, the tip initially touching the meat from the top, by simply giving a minimal amount of push. It could go all the way to wood behind almost as if I was piercing through margarine

It's all an equation of several factors. XVIIIc has an acute point, the reinforce actually makes the point stiffer, so less energy gets wasted in deformation. Perhaps a not reinforced tip would be less effective for lacking stiffness. As for bones, living bones are weaker than dry, unskinned ones. Even a viking sword thrust can pass through bones, though by sheer force causing breaking action rather than slicing through (more painful btw).
------

Dan Howard wrote:
The more you reinforce and build up the tip, the harder it is to penetrate armour because you are increasing its surface area. IMO these reinforced tips are intended to stop them from breaking when they incidentally hit bone or armour.

I discussed that with Carlos Cordeiro, the swordsmith, and he strongly disagreed on that. Surface area is not much relevant: it's relevant for a rapier because a 1.6-2cm wide blade (slimmer than usual) would have slightly more piercing power when penetrating through flesh and meat, but wouldn't do any better for things much harder (hence why these variations were only civilian). In fact, many Skallagrim rapiers (which were slim, but with unproppoer thickness, as Carlos commented) would bend against cheek bones and simply refuse do go any further: because they lack stiffness. While his Munich Townsguard (whose style was used in war) performed a better thruster than any of his rapiers (AnA Vasa's rapier lacks the width and thickness of the original, so it's whobby).

Few people mention the ACTUAL reason for why XVa being the ultimate thrusting longsword: because they are thick when the point starts; not to mention the profile tapper putting POB near the hilt, so you have a better point control than swords like XVIIIb, XVIIIc etc. A sword that stiffer than your average XVa is literally a panzerstecher/estoc/tuck, which uses the medial ridge to produce a tension that makes the sword be so stiff you would use it as a 3.5cm OAL "lance". A German guy even claimed a backplate of a cuirass was pierced by an estoc (he had the photos). The Duke of Saxony used an estoc in Muhlberg, and he have the blade in Madrid's catalogue.

The best power piercers we know, like that Tod's triangular dagger, are that powerful because of stiffness. Ashlspiesss have a good geometry behind them, likely to pierce through solid armor; some halberds have triangular or ashlspiess types of spearheads. And if you stop to think about it, a halfswording thrust is essentially making the blade behaves like a dagger (which is stiffer than longer bladed objects): your second hand limits dissipation of force and makes the whole thing stiffer.

“Burn old wood, read old books, drink old wines, have old friends.”
Alfonso X, King of Castile (1221-84)
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul, 2024 11:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally I am pretty much with Dan on this. A reinforced tip can under certain circumstances penetrate plate and the increased width would hinder it compared to a good stiff an thinner section. However I cannot believe this was ever the real intention as it would unlikely go deep enough to be an issue. A detox of course is a different thing. Reinforced tips are much better suited to staying intact IF they hit plate whilst going for mail reinforced areas. Mail with a bit of padding could be massively compromised by a reinforced tip even though a non reinforced could go deeper, the thicker will still go deep enough. My opinions based on striking all three materials.
www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Reinforced tips - why not always do this?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic