Arms & Armor collection recommendations in Italy
I'm planning a trip to Italy, specifically including: Rome, Venice, Naples, Salerno. Do any of you have recommendations for good collections of arms and armor that I should try to visit?

Thanks!
Re: Arms & Armor collection recommendations in Italy
Ian Hutchison wrote:
I'm planning a trip to Italy, specifically including: Rome, Venice, Naples, Salerno. Do any of you have recommendations for good collections of arms and armor that I should try to visit?

Thanks!

It's a few years since I was last in Venice but the Correr Museum in St Mark's Square has an Arms & Armour section. If generally interested in the museums and galleries, look out for the multipass to save time and money.
In Venice, as I recall, I saw some great stuff in the Doge's palace but I think you have to book a tour to get access.
In Rome the Castel Sant Angelo has a small but decent collection of A&A. Much better in quantity and quality is the Odescalchi collection in the Palazzo Venezia. The problem here is that it is frequently not open at all, or may be partially open.
Venice: the A&A collection in the Ducal (Doge's) palace is very good, particularly in renaissance period swords. No need to book a tour when I was there but that was out if season, may be worse in summer.
Naples: Good collection from Este family armoury in Capodimonte museum but access may be restricted or closed.
You really should go to Florence as well: First, the Stibbert museum (magnificent colledtion) poss. booking needed. Second, Bargello museum some good stuff. Third , Museo Bardini, a small collection.
Try to avoid the summer months, April-September, you can't move for tourists. Best months, November-February.
Good luck.
Neil
Neil Melville wrote:

Venice: the A&A collection in the Ducal (Doge's) palace is very good, particularly in renaissance period swords. No need to book a tour when I was there but that was out if season, may be worse in summer.

Yes, I was there in summer. I can't remember if I had to do this, or if I just did it to beat the crowds. I think I did it first thing in the morning. This was a while ago though - 10 years!
Thanks all,

I will be going in March, so hopefully wont be too crowded. I wish I had time for Florence because I know of the Stibbert collection, but I'm already fully booked!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: