Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Initial impressions: Windlass 1796 Light Cavalry Saber Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Initial impressions: Windlass 1796 Light Cavalry Saber         Reply with quote

New 1796 Light Cavalry saber by Windlass arrived from Atlanta Cutlery Co. today. I've been waiting for an accurate reproduction since I first learned about these swords almost two decades ago.

I have to say it has been worth the wait though. The parabolic distal taper of the originals has rarely been reproduced in modern replicas, leading to many being over-weight and poor handling. My Universal replica was like swinging a crow-bar.

The handling of this sword is as good as everyone else has reported so far elsewhere. Very agile for the PoB.

My stats are as follow;

Mass: 840g

PoB: 7in, 178mm

Base thickness: 8.85mm

1/4 thickness: 4mm

3/4 thickness: 3.4mm

Tip thickness: 2.3mm

Thanks to the light mass, it is not at all taxing to recover from a strike or maneuver with despite the point of balance being seven inches from the hilt. It's actually feels more lively than my original Blücher.

There is only one slight cosmetic defect on mine, the back spine of the grip is very slightly off-center, but it doesn't seem to inhibit feel or function.

One minor reservation I have is that I wonder how well the grip wrap will hold up to use, it doesn't feel like the leather is particularly tough. We will see. The scabbard is very nice, the brazing of the fittings is clean, and a thoughtful period touch.

So far I am more than satisfied; quite happy that this sought after product has finally come to market. Might need a second one.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Ian! Good to see there is finally a reproduction of that sword type which is not overweight.

What is the weight / POB of your original?
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2023 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Hansen wrote:
Thanks Ian! Good to see there is finally a reproduction of that sword type which is not overweight.

What is the weight / POB of your original?

Sorry for the slow reply Paul, I want to say the weight on my original is ~950g. I don't recall the PoB off hand right now, it may have been farther out, the Windlass feels livelier.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Iagoba Ferreira

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2023 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have handled a couple of originals and it is surprisingly "light" despite the width and thickness of the blades back edge! A great, practical design of swords.

I have always wanted one, but I'm too afraid of getting a overweight, point heavy iron bar instead of something close to the original.
Ulf Lidsman

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got mine yesterday and so far I'm very pleased. One question about the leather washer; should I have the rough side against the hilt or towards the blade?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Initial impressions: Windlass 1796 Light Cavalry Saber
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic