Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Chris-

Both those dirks are lovely. They are amongst my favorite samples from Vince Evans that I've seen. So nice.
Here's a second Vince Evans dirk in my possession....

Attachment: 92.66 KB
Pictures42605 009a1.jpg

Attachment: 80.57 KB
Pictures42605 010a1.jpg

Chris Goerner wrote:
Lin,

If you try your hand at carving a dirk grip, please be sure to post photos and give us your impressions of the process.

Chris

Chris...

If I do and it turns out OK you will see it. If I do and it turns out lousy you won't. That is a project that will require some time so I do not expect to start it before the end of October!

Encouragement from time to time will be appreciated.
Lin Robinson wrote:
However, it has two pins retaining the reinforcing strip on the haunce and the dirk on the CD, I believe, only has one pin with the strip extending under the binding on the bottom of the hilt.

See below for another shot of the two dirks that I was able to photograph. As you note, the one in question has the two pins extending on the straps. Also note that the single-pin method is shown in the other dirk.

Attachment: 70.49 KB
ve_dirks2.jpg
Two dirks by Vince Evans
Nathan...

Thanks for all the great, detailed photos. They will help when/if I start this project. You know my biggest problem will be to turn the basic configuration of the dirk. I have done very little work on a lathe and do not know much about the techniques required. However, I have acquired a lot of cheap black walnut so I can mess up some pieces in the learning process without too much pain.

Thanks again....

Lin
Lin Robinson wrote:
Nathan...

Thanks for all the great, detailed photos. They will help when/if I start this project. You know my biggest problem will be to turn the basic configuration of the dirk. I have done very little work on a lathe and do not know much about the techniques required. However, I have acquired a lot of cheap black walnut so I can mess up some pieces in the learning process without too much pain.

Thanks again....

Lin

I've never used a lathe, so I just do it with a rough file.

Cheers,
Henrik
My latest acquisition, from the Robinson collection, is a dirk by Vince Evans. It's one of those with the grip on the small side, and it just beautiful. The pictures aren't great and don't do it justice.

For kicks and giggles, I also put it next to my Tod's Stuff dirk (sadly for sale) to show dirks on both ends of the historical size spectrum.

Attachment: 32.38 KB
VEQ3.jpg

Attachment: 25.19 KB
VEQ2.jpg

Attachment: 22.24 KB
VEQ1.jpg

Attachment: 14.7 KB
dirks.jpg

In the interest of seeing new things from new people, I'll bump this topic and add my two recent pieces as made by Vince Evans:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

And photographed alongside another Vince Evans piece:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Here are some updated pics...

Attachment: 99.39 KB
VinceEvansDirks10210008 A2.jpg

Attachment: 96.95 KB
[ Download ]
Here is my late 17th - early 18th Century dirk by Tod's Stuff. It's an amalgam of two different originals shown below. 14" blade, with the hilt done in brass and antler. The MacNeil Clan motto is engraved on the blade in Gaelic. The decoration around it is based off of a dungeon dagger from the same period. This beauty will be worn at my side during my wedding next weekend. :)

Josh, that looks really great.
:) Fantastic looking piece. Todd does some great work.

Buaidh no bas... Glory or death is it? :) Nice touch!

I've recently had the pleasure to see some of his unhilted work up close. And his traders stand I saw at the Kelmarsh Festival of History a few years back was a sight to see...

Cheers,
Henrik
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: