Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Shield pairings in the 15th Century Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Shield pairings in the 15th Century         Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Maybe a bit specific (and odd) here, but I am wondering if shields would be paired with the following two sorts of swords and, if they were, what kind...? Both would pertain to the 15th century (although the former would be later in that century than the latter): a grossemesser and an Italian arming sword - like the ones you'd see in the Alexandria armory (such as the famous one with the finger ring).

My guess would be a small/medium pavise with the messer and a rotella or oval shield with the Italian arming sword. Am I way off here?

Thanks!

Dan

Last edited by Dan Kary on Mon 07 Nov, 2022 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Except for the biggest and heaviest two-handers, swords are sidearms. They are used with any shield which a culture uses or with no shield, and the type of shield (or lack of a shield) is determined by context (ie. a traveller in the 15th century probably does not carry a heavy pavise or a jousting targe, but might carry a buckler or small target; a crossbowman probably carries no shield at all).
www.bookandsword.com
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Sean, I should have added this clarification: I am wondering about a martial, rather than civilian or sporting, context.
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Kary wrote:
Thanks Sean, I should have added this clarification: I am wondering about a martial, rather than civilian or sporting, context.

It really depends on the type of soldier! Almost any type of soldier could carry either the cruciform sword or the grosses Messer. Types of soldier were different enough in say Tuscany and Bavaria in 1460 that its hard to say anything more.

Italian paintings of the 1400s show lots of soldiers with no body armour or horse just a staff weapon, a round or oval shield, and a sword, I point to some images here

www.bookandsword.com
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again Sean. Yeah the Italian round shields what sort of what I expected (I said rotella but that's probably not the right term - I think those might come later, I think in the 15th century they were more flat ovals and the lashing system was more like a heater shield...but I might be way off there).

Yeah and I guess I should have been more specific still. I'm talking about lightly armoured professional foot soldiers (men-at-arms). I know there were variations too, but I'm just trying to put together a typical image in my mind of the shield pairings for those who wielded those weapons (even as a side arm - since the primary arm might well have been something like a spear) in the timeframe indicated.

I hope that's specific enough to generate a more specific answer. I appreciate the effort in helping me!
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Kary wrote:
Thanks again Sean. Yeah the Italian round shields what sort of what I expected (I said rotella but that's probably not the right term - I think those might come later, I think in the 15th century they were more flat ovals and the lashing system was more like a heater shield...but I might be way off there).

Yeah and I guess I should have been more specific still. I'm talking about lightly armoured professional foot soldiers (men-at-arms). I know there were variations too, but I'm just trying to put together a typical image in my mind of the shield pairings for those who wielded those weapons (even as a side arm - since the primary arm might well have been something like a spear) in the timeframe indicated.

I hope that's specific enough to generate a more specific answer. I appreciate the effort in helping me!

I didn’t think that a man-at-arms meant light infantry, but rather something like a knight. Anyway, it comes down to which region that you were talking about, and maybe how much money the person has. I don’t think it matters much if they were professional or not. Citizens and even farmers were required to be well armoured, in at least some regions, at this time.

The große Messer is German, and I don’t know if it was common outside of Germany. Pavise however, was a common type of shield in Germany, so they could go together.
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah thanks Ryan. I don't know what I was thinking with the man-at-arms comment. Yes, typically they are what people think about as a knight but they just weren't knighted and that's certainly not who I'm talking about with lightly armoured foot soldiers (I think I had a brain cramp and was equivocating solider with man-at-arms - good point about professionals and civilians too though...my post was a mess).

Yes, your comment about pavises and messers makes sense to me because, as far as I know, they were popular in the same region/time period. Aren't pavises typically Germanic (and other Imperial areas across the alps, Bohemia, etc.) in the same way that messers are? That's my, admittedly, uniformed, impression.

I think, perhaps, the same is true of Italian type XIX swords with finger rings (like the famous Alexandria example) and round/oval shields in Italy (aren't those sorts of shields typically late medieval Italian)? But would I be right in saying that the domed, metal, versions would be a later (and also Spanish) thing? In the 15th century they would be more oval, flat, and covered in canvas (with some kind of fabric or leather edging)?

I feel like I don't know a damned thing about shields but I'm trying to dip my toe here and see where it goes.

Last edited by Dan Kary on Mon 07 Nov, 2022 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In English and the Romance languages, targe and target ("little targe") are probably the safest terms for medieval and renaissance gripped or strapped shields which were bigger than a buckler and did not have the classic knightly shape with a point at the bottom.

At least in England, pavise tended to be reserved for shields which were so heavy that they needed to be rested on the ground.

But in central Europe in the late 15th and early 16th century, small shields shaped like a central European pavise with a central 'trough' were popular, and some people call them all pavises. In English, they would be targes and targets, as you can see in the 1591 English translation of Giacomo di Grassi's Italian fencing manual.

I don't know of any overviews of shields in late 15th and early 16th century Italy and central Europe other than the ones in the bibliography of ageofdatini. That place and time is not one of my specialties. Good luck!

www.bookandsword.com
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Froissart wrote about a wounded knight being carried off the field on a targe so the term seems to have been used for the longer shields as well.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don´t worry about it Dan, I think a lot of people think that mercenaries should look different than armed farmers, and it is just recently that I learned that isn´t the case. The Kurfürstlch Säschsische Kriegsknechte1475 is a re-enactment group and one of their members is a bit of an expert on German parvises and has also read a lot of historical documents listing the equipment of professional units, but also farmers and citizens that were required to own arms. Pavises seem to be the only type of shield listed.

In one register that had 5,291 villagers in it, there were only ten swords, but 1,850 lange Messers. Typical is that most of the weapons were ranged weapons (firearms or crossbows). I used to think that pavises were for crossbowmen, and crossbowmen were mostly mercenaries.
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just checked out that re-enactment group (just some of the pictures - I'll keep looking at the rest later) and yeah you're certainly right. I think that the pavises seem to be the go-to with messers as a common side arm. I assume they know what they're doing and so that might be a mystery solved. Some of those pavises are incredible. It looks like they make them themselves. They might have to - I'm not aware of anybody making pavises except Tod's Workshop but those seem to be the big ones for crossbow covers rather than the smaller ones you might use with a sword or messer (or spear). Actually, it looks like they make a lot of their own stuff for that matter and it's very nice.

Thank you so much for sharing that Ryan. I've had a nice time, and will continue to be, looking through their stuff!

Last edited by Dan Kary on Mon 07 Nov, 2022 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Anthony Clipsom

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan, you may find it helpful to use the term "hand pavise" or "small pavise" in your search. This will turn you up several manufacturers. It was also give some nice examples of real ones in art and museum collections, for you to get a feel, so to speak, of their dimensions and carrying arrangements. This type of pavise wasn't, as far as I know, common in Italy - if they wanted something of that size they would choose a rotella. So, the hand pavise and messer would be a sound combo if you were representing a German, Bohemian or other central European . A different type of arming sword or falchion with rotella would be more typically Italian.
Anthony Clipsom
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Anthony, I think that sounds right. I will try to narrow it down that way!

One thing I am finding is that the big pavise were pretty uniform but there is an astoundingly massive variety in the shapes of the hand/small ones. I'm now wondering if the variety was regional or, rather, if the variety existed more or less uniformly everywhere that pavises were popular (such as Germany and Bohemia - I think I have seen a lot of Flemish and Swiss ones too). There also seems to be a lot of variation in the hand setups. Some seem to be used like a buckler, while others were more rotella/heater shield like with the strap setups. The only thing that seems to be an essential property of a pavise is the channel.

Maybe somebody could clear this up for me on the Italian side: It seems that they liked their round (or oval shields) but were they all "rotella" or is rotella more specifically something domed and round (and this seems to come in later than the 15th century). It seems to me that the Italians used flat(ter) and oval shields that were very like heater shields (canvas, leather edging, etc.) in the 15th century. Maybe that's still a rotella though, because it's round(ish)?

I'm really appreciating all this help everybody!

Last edited by Dan Kary on Mon 07 Nov, 2022 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Anthony Clipsom

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The only thing that seems to be an essential property of a pasive is the channel.

I'm not sure this is true. I think it is safer to think any big body shield would be considered a pavise in the later Middle Ages. This would include the channel ones but also the rectangular and oval types, which tended to be flat or slightly curved.

Anthony Clipsom
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anthony Clipsom wrote:
Quote:
The only thing that seems to be an essential property of a pasive is the channel.

I'm not sure this is true. I think it is safer to think any big body shield would be considered a pavise in the later Middle Ages. This would include the channel ones but also the rectangular and oval types, which tended to be flat or slightly curved.

I guess this might be getting a bit semantic but wouldn't the curve (depending on the curve) count as having the channel? Like there are square (and other shaped) ones that have a middle channel with a smooth or wavy curve (rather than an angular one) than runs top to bottom and I think that's still a pavise. If the curve is a dome, wouldn't that be more like a rotella (if the shield is round or oval)? If it is square or round (or even other shapes - like the Talhoffer ones), and has a boss, wouldn't that be a buckler? One that, I would think, would be really hard to classify would be a flat square without a boss.

Or (I just thought of this as I was typing) maybe you're talking about the ones that are like a roman scutum? Yeah I guess people might class those pavise...and they don't really have a distinct channel (the whole thing is sort of a channel).

Eh, it seems that trying to classify this stuff can be a fools task. What's the difference between a knife and a dagger is probably a classic example (I have thoughts about this one too, but I'm guessing it would be an unpopular take).

Last edited by Dan Kary on Mon 07 Nov, 2022 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Anthony Clipsom

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Eh, it seems that trying to classify this stuff can be a fools task. What's the difference between a knife and a dagger is probably a classic example (I have thoughts about this one too, but I'm guessing it would be an unpopular take).

One of the problems, I think, is we are seeing the results of change in thinking in the post-medieval world. Medieval people generally didn't see the need to create the rigid, consistent definitions we descendants of the Enlightenment do. Happy

And yes, you are right, I was thinking of the big pavises, not the hand pavises.

Anthony Clipsom
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would not worry too much about terminology unless you are working with original documents since it varies from time to place. The terminology in England is very well known so you can call a shield what a person from England would have called it. It does not really matter that a Czech or a Castillian would have called it something else.
www.bookandsword.com
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Kary wrote:
I just checked out that re-enactment group (just some of the pictures - I'll keep looking at the rest later) and yeah you're certainly right. I think that the Pavises seem to be the go-to with messers as a common side arm. I assume they know what they're doing and so that might be a mystery solved. Some of those pavises are incredible. It looks like they make them themselves. They might have to - I'm not aware of anybody making pavises except Tod's Workshop but those seem to be the big ones for crossbow covers rather than the smaller ones you might use with a sword or messer (or spear). Actually, it looks like they make a lot of their own stuff for that matter and it's very nice.

Thank you so much for sharing that Ryan. I've had a nice time, and will continue to be, looking through their stuff!

I am glad that you enjoyed it. The group does make their own pavises. The wife of the pavise maker paints them. I think most of the armour is made from German or Czech armourers. One representative of the group did a couple of youtube interviews in German, he wasn't the pavise maker. There is the possibility the pavise maker will do an interview in the future.

I am not sure if the groove is important. The KSK defines a pavise as a rectangular infantry shield. They were developed in Bohemia by the Hussites along with the war wagon. They were used for filling in the gaps between the wagon. The areas where they are used in Germany are mostly the areas near Bohemia and adopted Hussite tactics. That is why the group has a flail. They are very accurate, they don't use anything without evidence that it was used in their time and region.
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan S. wrote:
Dan Kary wrote:
I just checked out that re-enactment group (just some of the pictures - I'll keep looking at the rest later) and yeah you're certainly right. I think that the Pavises seem to be the go-to with messers as a common side arm. I assume they know what they're doing and so that might be a mystery solved. Some of those pavises are incredible. It looks like they make them themselves. They might have to - I'm not aware of anybody making pavises except Tod's Workshop but those seem to be the big ones for crossbow covers rather than the smaller ones you might use with a sword or messer (or spear). Actually, it looks like they make a lot of their own stuff for that matter and it's very nice.

I am glad that you enjoyed it. The group does make their own pavises. The wife of the pavise maker paints them. I think most of the armour is made from German or Czech armourers. One representative of the group did a couple of youtube interviews in German, he wasn't the pavise maker. There is the possibility the pavise maker will do an interview in the future.

I am not sure if the groove is important. The KSK defines a pavise as a rectangular infantry shield. They were developed in Bohemia by the Hussites along with the war wagon. They were used for filling in the gaps between the wagon. The areas where they are used in Germany are mostly the areas near Bohemia and adopted Hussite tactics. That is why the group has a flail. They are very accurate, they don't use anything without evidence that it was used in their time and region.

That's really cool. I wonder where I could find a good pavise. I found some online but I am not sure if they were any good. This group probably only makes them for other group members. Interesting how they define pavise when there are lots that have rounded tops, for example (there seem to be a lot of different shapes). Yeah the flail stood out to me as particularly Bohemian. I wonder what the deal is with a two handed flail with a huge pavise. Is the idea that the put the pavise down and attack (or rather defend) from behind it?
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Kary wrote:
That's really cool. I wonder where I could find a good pavise. I found some online but I am not sure if they were any good. This group probably only makes them for other group members. Interesting how they define pavise when there are lots that have rounded tops, for example (there seem to be a lot of different shapes). Yeah the flail stood out to me as particularly Bohemian. I wonder what the deal is with a two handed flail with a huge pavise. Is the idea that the put the pavise down and attack (or rather defend) from behind it?

Companies such as Arma Bohemia sell large and small pavises, targes, and targets, but larger types of shield are so expensive to ship that its usually easiest to make them yourself and have them painted locally http://armabohemia.cz/Novestr/shieldsA.htm

Someone reproduced a big gilded pavise in Ingolstadt and shot a windlass crossbow at it on YouTube. I can't find the video so it may be private.

www.bookandsword.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Shield pairings in the 15th Century
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: