Travelling to Rostock and Lübeck
Me and the family are taking a trip to Rostock and Lübeck in september. We have looked the cities up on interwebs, youtube and tripadvisor and found a few things to do, but I thought the the ppl here might have a few tips to share.
Hi Olov, The St Annen museum in Lubeck is housed in a lovely old priory, has a lot of mediaeval art and quite a bit of arms and armour.. Worth a visit.
Neil
Both are really cool old Hanseatic towns. Lübeck is quite well preserved, I think it was only bombed once in WW2 and pretty much everything was rebuilt. The altstadt looks like a fairy tale.

A lot of the main sights in Lübeck are obvious, the Holstenor gate and Marienkirche for example. The Old Town is full of real original 15th-16th Century houses, which is fairly rare in Europe (a lot of what people think are medieval buildings in many places are 17th Century or later). The Hanseatic architectural style is very elegant. St. Peters church is also worth checking out.

They have a bunch of weapons in the Holstein gate museum and fantastic model ships. The Eurppean Hansemuseum right on the water on the north side of the altstadt is also really interesting.

If you like boats and maritime stuff the "Museumschaffen" which is close to the same area is an open air display on the trave with a bunch of cool ships including a 15th Century caravel replica

I've never been to Rostock yet but I know it was also a Hanse city with a very colorful past, including once being a pirate haven for the Victual Brothers.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: