Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Poisoned weapon use in medieval Europe Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well, it sure seems like poisoned weapons weren't so impossible after all.

There seems to be a lot of claims of and references to the use of poisoned bullets / musket balls too, right up to the American Civil War.

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Manning wrote:
Ryan S. wrote:
Louis Lewin´s book is structured and divided into sections by continent. The section on Europe seems to be the shortest, probably because he had less to research, as in other regions where poison arrows were still in use. As I write the highlights, I will follow his structure and try to communicate his opinion as short and clear as possible.

Thanks for the summary! I think Thuanus is Jacques Auguste de Thou who died in 1617 and Gesnerus is Conrad Gessner who died in 1565. So they were antiquarians trying to discover past practices.

If anyone can find the source about the Waldesians poisoning their spears, I hope they post it!

You're welcome and thank you for the additional information.

I will continue summarizing where I left off. Lewin ends the section 5 with a quote from Shakespeare, where Laertes discusses the poison he brought for his sword. Lewin considers it possible that poison was occasionally used in Shakespeare’s time, as a sinister trick. However, he concludes that the poet could have been inspired from something he read, and Lewin is sure that Shakespeare didn't add to it. He mentions an old recipe for poison that includes Kanthride, Auripigement, Thaspia garganica, aconite and the sweat from choleric redheads. Lewin then compares the use of poison on ( melee) weapon vs. those on projectiles. A sword needs a poison would be quickly wiped into the wound, and enter the blood stream. For projectiles, one can use a poison that needs to linger in order to develop its poison energy. The only plant poison that is suitable then for a melee weapon, is aconite, and that is not capable as performing as Shakespeare's poison.

6. Origin, Components, and Effects
A lot of writers and researchers have for a long time tried to figure out European poisons. There will never be full certainty which plant or animal poisons the already mentioned peoples used. However, one can research the poison lore and come up with some probable answers. One plant was well known and feared, aconite.

A. Types of Aconite
In Europe, there was only Aconitum Napellus and Aconitum lycoctonum. It is very dangerous and poisonous. It stops the heart and breathing. It is hard to say who used it, when and where, because there are not very many testimonies left to us. It was probably used overall, but especially where it grew. It grows the best in mountains. If people didn’t know that it was poisonus, they would have noticed that animals avoid it.

There are stories of its use. It grows in Grenada and the moors used it. Lewin is also sure that the Waldensian poison, also called Thora Valdensis, is aconite. It kills within half an hour and was tested on frogs with a needle. It was carried in bullhorns by hunters. It doesn’t kill when it is in the stomach*. The belief that the Waldensian poison is a type of Buttercup, is wrong. Buttercups lose their poison after they stop to bloom. Other poisons mention are not strong enough. The aconite grows where the Waldensians were and works fast. Pliny describes it as the fastest working poison.

Lewin then explains some experiments in which he used small amounts of aconite to kill rabbits and guinea pigs.

B. Veratrum album
Lewin believes Veratrum album to be what is meant by white helleborus, as well as the poison Pliny names as limeum and pharicum. He also refers to stories already mentioned in the thread. Lewin mentions v. Kraftheim again, who says that the Spanish used Helleborus album and the poison arrows were demonstrated for Emperor Ferdinand. The juice was pressed out of the plants and left in the early summer sun and then stored in bullhorns. A needle could carry enough to kill. A deer shot with the poison would act like it was sedated and stood there confused. It then fells down and died within half an hour. A chicken was also killed with it, dying while having a seizure. Lewin, thinks that the effect might be exaggerated, but if so, only slightly. He then explains tests that he did on a cat and a rabbit.

C. Other poisons

The Celtiberians are said to have used Oleander, which would have been ideal, because it works digitally. In enough, but in marginally declining doses, it stops the heart in animals and people.

The Belgae are said to have used a tree that looks like a fig tree. One thought about the Yew, but that is not like a fig tree.

Lewin mentions snake poison, but says nothing about its use except dealing with the Hydra. He, however, notes that there was also enough plant poisons.

Lewin believes that different Nightshade berries were used. Mainly because they were available. He then he talks about how Nicander describes the symptoms of an orally taken Arrow poison. The symptoms match Nightshade berries. It isn’t so much deadly as disorienting.
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A little bit more from Lewin:

In the section on Asian poisons, he discusses the Scythian poison, he says that there is a kern of truth in it. Furthermore, in sections about other people groups, he expands on the idea of poisons being made from rotten flesh. Most of the examples involve reptiles, and it doesn’t seem to be the widest spread form of poison. However, one can make poison from carcasses. He also mentions mixed poisons and says the belief that mixing poisons makes them stronger was widespread, and not always unfounded. I am not sure if his thinking is in line with the current scientific knowledge, because I know that opinion has changed in regard to poisons in rotten food causing food poisoning. That could explain the difference of understanding of Scythian poison in Mayor's book. Noticeably, Mayor points out in a footnote that her expert says if the venom wasn't processed separately, then it would have been rendered impotent. Anyway, some Indian groups also made poison by rotting flesh in a dung pile.

Also of note, is the in the introduction where Lewin mentions cases of people murdering others with poisoned needles. He also talks about poisons that didn’t so much kill as disable an opponent and states that they were used when more deadly poisons weren’t available, but often more deadly poisons were. (This seems to have been the case in Europe)

Some commentary:

It sometimes seems that Lewin contradicts himself, and it is possible I have misunderstood him. For example: he says that only snake poison is edible, but then later says that aconite doesn’t do harm in the stomach. Since I know that aconite does do harm when eaten, then I must assume he means that one can eat meat that is poisoned with aconite (presumably only after cooking it, but he doesn't mention that.) I think one can safely assume that most plant poisons used as arrow poisons were broken down by cooking at high temperatures.

As far as how fast poisons work, he only provides a rough idea. Depending on the dose, it seems that aconite can kill either in under 30 minutes or the next day. However, the poisoned person would be unable to fight long before then. To know how much advantage this would give, one would have to know how effective similar unpoisoned arrows are.

As far as the source or the economics of European arrow poisons, Lewin doesn't say much, except mentioning that hellebore was gathered. It seems that for the post part these poison plants were gathered in the wild and not cultivated and sourced locally. That offers a tempting explanation for geographic differences in use. It also suggests that if used in war, poison might run out. I have read in a German encyclopedia that Charlemagne tried to have christmas roses in court gardens cultivated, but failed. If the failure was administrative or if it was hard to grow christmas roses back then, I can’t say. The purpose was as medicine and not arrow poison.

Legally Lewin offers more information, it seems that sometimes poisoned weapons were handled legally as separate from poison, but that they would have also been covered by blanket bans on poison. It seems also that poison weapons were banned under penalty of death in the Holy Roman Empire, and were regulated in France (there was a general ban on poison in France, that may have also effected poison weapons for hunting).

I think it is hard to determine to if these historical records are just what was recorded of a widespread use of poison arrows or if they are noteworthy exceptions, especially as many of the sources could be called into question.
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2022 4:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I read some more about poison swords in Lewin. He lists Beowulfs sword as being poisoned, but other translations say it is cursed. Also I read about the use of lemon juice in Menado on swords. It is supposed to make the wounds heal slower. Lewin also mentions kris daggers. So I looked for other sources, and found on wikipedia that a “poison” was introduced to the blade during forging. Wikipedia isn’t clear, but it mentions arsenic, and specifically citrus juices. Putting the two together, it seems that at least some weapons said to be poisoned were not in fact poisoned, but treated with an acidic juice.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Poisoned weapon use in medieval Europe
Page 6 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: