Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword display material advice? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Sword display material advice?         Reply with quote

Hello all,
I need to either expand my existing display or make another one (or sell stuff, which doesn't seem reasonable Razz ). Here's an old pic of my current one in this cabinet I still use.

The goal would be to either add a third smaller row in front or just to remake something similar with three rows. I don't so much need help with design, just materials. I'd be looking at sandwich construction of 3 boards for each row, like my current stand. The inner most board would be cut out in places to form the slots where stuff sits. The current stand appears to be a pressed wood product with a veneer.

What wood should I use (or avoid)? I'd use wood glue (any to avoid?) to secure the sandwich(es) together. If I have to stain it, what stain (or types) should I use or avoid? I don't want any rust accelerants...

Our house humidity is pretty well controlled. I could use a typical scabbard wood like poplar, I suppose. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can try to post from my phone but for shorter stuff I have a antique barrister book case I love. I have installed lighting and the glass doors keep dust and such off the blades ect.
David L Smith
MSG (RET)
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So here’s my bookcase. And I got the idea for the point of balance displays from Albion swords. These I bought for $.25 at the restore warehouse, and then just cut notches in the top. They are staircase finials

not sure why they turned up sidewise.

Attachment: 78.56 KB
8fdd4888_98f5_45ef_b9d3_610a498753d3_739.jpeg

Attachment: 58.8 KB
4d06f15d_34a1_458a_8d57_1f6a87e3c4b5_293.jpeg

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David,
That looks great! Happy Those barrister cabinets work well.

In looking back at my initial post, I think I wasn't clear exactly what I was looking for. I have a display stand inside my case/cabinet that needs to be expanded or rebuilt. The cabinet will remain, which hems me in in all directions/dimensions. There's just enough room, though, inside the cabinet for me to add a third row to the stand or to fit a new 3 row stand. I'd make the new row and/or stand out of wood and I'm looking for input on what woods/glues/stains/varnish are steel-safe.

People usually recommend steering away from oak due to the tannin levels, for example. What other materials are safe for long term storage?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Mike O'Hara

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Wood for constrcution         Reply with quote

Hi Chad

this may help
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Acidity-of-different-wood-species_tbl1_281295854

A close to neutral or slightly alkaline wood is good.

A number of wood glues can also be an issues so either archival style glues or just use dowels or screws

cheers
mike

MIke O'Hara
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jul, 2022 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
David,
That looks great! Happy Those barrister cabinets work well.

In looking back at my initial post, I think I wasn't clear exactly what I was looking for. I have a display stand inside my case/cabinet that needs to be expanded or rebuilt. The cabinet will remain, which hems me in in all directions/dimensions. There's just enough room, though, inside the cabinet for me to add a third row to the stand or to fit a new 3 row stand. I'd make the new row and/or stand out of wood and I'm looking for input on what woods/glues/stains/varnish are steel-safe.

People usually recommend steering away from oak due to the tannin levels, for example. What other materials are safe for long term storage?

Ahh! now I see.

It looks like you have room for a second glass shelf as well.

David L Smith
MSG (RET)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword display material advice?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic