Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How do you mount Pole Arms to a wall vertically? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ulli Martin

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2022 2:59 am    Post subject: How do you mount Pole Arms to a wall vertically?         Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

maybe the collectors here in the forums who own halberds, spears, etc. have an recommendation how to vertically fix those weapons to a wall?

I would like to have the option to display pole arms to my wall, but not permanently, so it should be rather easy to take them off.
Maybe there are half-opened rings or something with a little lever so they don't fall too easily? It's okay if the lower pole end stands on the floor.

It would be great if it could also have a rather antique / medieval look (so no stainless steel etc.)

Thanks for ideas and links!
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't tried this yet, but there are rubber "shovel/tool" mounts you can get for trucks that might work. Not elegant, but I think you could anchor them on a piece of wood connected to the wall and have the end of the polearm either sit on the floor or another piece of wood (if you're fancy...)

https://www.etrailer.com/Tie-Down-Straps/Quick-Fist/QF10010.html

You could also drill holes in a piece of wood, mount on the wall, and put them through that, but you've got to have clearance to pull them out again.
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Back when I had polearms, I used to mount them using tool racks found at the hardware store. Basically stuff you'd use to hang stuff in your garage. What is nice about that is there are all sorts of hooks that fit all kinds of tools and so you're likely to find something that works. I'm not sure about the look though. Mine were basic hooks dipped in rubber. What was nice about that is that it had no chance of damaging the spear, halberd, axe, etc.
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Same as I do with swords. A small wall-hook (same used for paintings/photos) and a small loop of string or fishing line around the weapon and then on the hook. Virtually invisible suspension
There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Ulli Martin

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all of you for your quick replies!
@Bjorn: Would you mind to share a picture of your solution? That would be much appreciated.
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar, 2022 12:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don’t have any polearms, but the Duke of Argyll has a collection, that while lacking in variety is substantial in quality. Here is a picture of how His Grace does it:
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ulli Martin wrote:
Thank you all of you for your quick replies!
@Bjorn: Would you mind to share a picture of your solution? That would be much appreciated.

Sent you a pm with a link, but sharing is caring, so here is a link for all the rest of you (hope it works as a shared album)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/brSTTSLA4BVcVxYb9

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2022 3:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:
Same as I do with swords. A small wall-hook (same used for paintings/photos) and a small loop of string or fishing line around the weapon and then on the hook. Virtually invisible suspension

WOW- That's genius!

I rent so I don't know if i could do this but that's an awesome method.

I use command adhesive hooks and they are less than. . . elegant.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In several rooms I put up a strip of molding, a wider type with a lip, and made a bunch of simple hooks from strips of 18-ga brass. The molding is already white, so no painting needed, and I screw it to the wall studs with 3" screws. It will support ANYTHING. So far I have not been tempted to change the displays every week, but I *could*...

The only polearm I have is just leaning in a corner, but I'm wondering if you could make an "omega"-shaped clip from brass strip, and just screw it to the wall or to a wood block. Or even to a simple wooden stand, with a hole or socket at the bottom and a vertical post for the clip? It would need to be pretty steady. Hmmm... There are things like flagpole holders, just a socket with a heavy base.

Matthew

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How do you mount Pole Arms to a wall vertically?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic