Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seventh Annual Which group do you belong to poll? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Alina Boyden

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kjell Magnusson wrote:
Well, it will take me a few hours to get my world back in shape again after seeing the tachi put forth as an example of chinese swords, instead of japanese, so I guess I have little choice but to put myself in #5. Oh well, time to go and dice the neighbours car.

I think he meant taiji/taichi/t'ai chi/you get the idea
Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good enough a trap to catch me at least, whatever the intent may have been (and, considering what is said about the lingusistic part of being a samurai here, it does seem to be a fitting trap too).
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
Definitely Category 4: The Knights. (Although I do have some leanings to Category 8 and Category 5 as well.) Everything about the noble lord in his castle appeals to me. And I have to say you guys are whacked Wink … plate armor is cool and beautiful. I love mail too, but plate rules! Happy

Amen! I'll second that! Plate armor is probably the only BDU ever made that was effective and looked good. Cool To me, maille is easier to move around in, hence my preference of it. In all honesty, if I was in a fierce Medieval battle, I wouldn't care how my armor looked (maille or plate) as long as it protected me. I'm sure we all can agree with that. Wink -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Knight for me. Although the way work has been going the last couple of weeks, I think I need to create a new category - the pell
"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
David Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Seventh Annual Which group do you belong to poll?         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

Category 1: The Scots
This group is a hard drinking hard fighting lot. Fiercely proud of their heritage they
will take their love of all things Scottish to incredible extremes. From time to time this
even leads some tough Scots lads to wear dresses…er tartans all in the name of Scotland
(or at least that is what they tell us). Members of this group are also fond of putting a “Mc” or
“Mac” in front of their surname. For example the “McChicken” or the “Mcrib”.
Scots are fond of their basket hilts, claymores, dirks and sgian dubhs.

Category 3:
On snowy days in the frozen North when visibility has been reduced the Vikings are often
mistaken for trolls or large bears (and I’m just talking about the women!) The Vikings are
a rough and ready bunch always willing to carouse or fight (and indeed sometimes with
Vikings you can’t tell which is which). They love those type X swords, lobated pommels and
something called an ax which we pretty sure is a myth.

Category 7: The Romans are a stolid business like lot. They enjoy marching about in large groups, fighting the
Celts, and talking about Caligula “Now there was an emperor.” They are fond of gladii in all their
forms as well as spatha, scutum etc. These guys are always ready to chase down the those naked celtic
streakers. (A scary thought in and of itself)

Can I choose more than one category? Big Grin

I love Scottish Basket hilts. I also love Viking swords, and the plainly efficient designs of the Romans as well. I admire the efficient, regimented discipline of the Roman military, but sometimes I like to cut loose and go a little berserk. While wearing tartan.
Myself, I'm part Scot, and part Finn (that's a Nordic type people, right? There have been lots of nice Viking swords found in Finland...). But I'm not at all Italian or Roman (I like pasta, does that count?). Interestingly enough, my Scottish Clan, Clan Gunn, was founded by Vikings. So, I'm probably more Norse than Celt!

Anyway....

I have to choose one?

Grrrrrr... alright.

Call me a Scot. I do wear a dress (KILT! It's a kilt! No, really) on occasion, and I like them basket-hilt claymores.

But I much prefer ravioli to haggis....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lets see ....now what group would 'ol predictable say he's gonna be in this year ..... hmmm, I wonder ???? ;-)

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 May, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Plate armor is probably the only BDU ever made that was effective and looked good.

I agree Exclamation I prefer transitional plate (few things beat a coat of plates), but any form of plate armour is better than the current US military Desert Combat Uniform. And don't get me started on another tirade about that hideous Interceptor Body pseudo-protective-ish thingy (I refuse to call that atrocity armor!!).

-Grey

P.S. Mail is still cool, and goes great with that transitional plate, of course. Cool

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 May, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You would have to make me a Category 13 - Miscellaneous Whiner. My Heinz (57 varieties!) ancestry and my tastes are way too eclectic to fit into any one category.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 07 May, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always chosen the knight category in all the times I've done Russ's poll. I was thinking I might be something more exotic this time - maybe a Philistine - but no, I'll stick with Category 4

I'm an eleventh century Norman knight who has drifted down to southern Italy and thrown in my lot with the Hautevilles. Those guys know what they're doing. I stand on the beach at Reggio and look across the strait to Messina. I bet that we could do some good things over there in Sicily: take it over, learn a thing or two from the Sarcens, and really lead the high life. Let's do it. I'd love a fief in Sicily.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can it truly be so? Romans but no Greeks? May the grey-eyed lady have mercy upon you. ;-) And a category for nautical cutlass-wielding types might be nice, although they seem a very small minority.

As for me, by blood I could fit into the Celtic, Viking or Greek (if there was one) camps, by trade I'm a seafarer, and by personality I'd be a knight. Bring on the dragons! Those maidens aren't going to save themselves, you know! And that windmill's up to something nefarious, I just know it. :-)

So anyway, I guess you can just toss me into the Miscellaneous Whiners category, since I'm too scatterbrained to pick a single archetype and run with it. My weapons and armor also reflect a somewhat eclectic mindset. But despite my love of Tolkien's work, under no circumstances am I an elf.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
Definitely Category 4: The Knights. (Although I do have some leanings to Category 8 and Category 5 as well.) Everything about the noble lord in his castle appeals to me. And I have to say you guys are whacked Wink … plate armor is cool and beautiful. I love mail too, but plate rules! Happy

Huzzah! I couldn't agree more. Don't get me wrong, I love mail (maille?), but had it been the be-all-end-all of armour, plate would never have been developed. Plate may be harder to maneuver around in, but there's no denying the superior protection it offers. It looks cool, too! Knights rule! Happy
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Knight for me.

Attachment: 59.39 KB
[ Download ]
Micha Hofmann

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm... I'll be a knight.
A Katana-owning knight who's seen the Highlander--movie far to often, but a knight... Wink
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud
Think i will have to throw my lot in on 13 too,still finding my head turned by all manner of sharp beauties,
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Only one more day on this poll, you all had better get them in quick! I'll announce the winning group and the winner of the kukri on Wednesday.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess I am one of many in the large order of 'knights' that frequent the forums. I love all manners of Euros, but my heart has a special place for the bidenhanders! Eek!
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From here:

to here:

and anywhere in between.

The collection is outgrowing the house. Eek!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh dear, just noticed the part about double entries for the kukhri if one added some photographic evidence. Well, hope it isn't too late for a little add-on then.

http://www.b.kth.se/u1nj5opm/notgood.jpeg
Me modelling a bit for a friend, here demonstrating some pretty awful tip-control... (Filname mine.)

Now then, in order to save me some face at least, here's a pair of pics from Stockholm Kendo Open 2003, where the photographer (another acquaintance) failed to document me making all that much a fool of myself [attached, hopefully].

Attachment: 37.44 KB
halvfigur.jpg
Yes, the do himo, I know...

Attachment: 35.9 KB
Still, at least the do is pretty shiny at least. [ Download ]
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd have to go with Knight as well. In years past, I've done the Scot thing (my grandmother was a Wallace). But, I lean more towards the age of Chivalry now.

I'm not, though, a full-mail Norman type or a full-plate tin can guy. I'd fall in that fantastic in-between period where plates are being added to mail; where richly decorated gamboised cuisses protect the legs and a brightly colored jupon covers a rudimentary breastplate of cuir bouilli or steely iron; when people were realizing "Hey, maybe I do need a point on this sword."

Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chadmeister wrote:
"Hey, maybe I do need a point on this sword."

Eek! Eek! Eek! Eek! Eek!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seventh Annual Which group do you belong to poll?
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: