Peserey Handicrafts Shamshir Review
Just thought I'd provide a quick review of a shamshir made by Hamit Esen of Peserey Handicrafts for those interested in this type of sword or the maker. They can be found at: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PesereyHandicrafts?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=849181632

Peserey Handicrafts is based in Turkey, they seem to make mostly Turkish and Caucasian arms, though I have found Hamit very amenable to custom pieces and customization of standard pieces. Those of you familiar with my other reviews will know I am interested in Indo-Persian weapons; I'm always on the look out for examples that are more accurate or better performing than the available production offerings. The Peserey shamshirs are clearly a preferable alternative to the Windlass or Cold Steel examples, they are semi-custom/semi-production but at a production competitive price. I asked Hamit if he could substitute the Ottoman style shamshir grip with a karabela style, and he was happy to oblige.

The blade is made of 1075 steel, with a grip and guard of buffalo horn and brass. Finish is satin with some minor tool marks present, but still very acceptable for the price. Came paper slicing sharp. Some stats:
Overall length: 86cm
Blade length: 71cm
Grip length (usable): 8cm
Point of balance: 12.5cm
Mass: 607g
Distal taper: 1/3=5mm , 2/3=3.5mm , 3/3=1.85mm

The handling is extremely pleasant, among the best of the 10 or so swords I've purchased in the last three years. Leagues ahead of the Cold Steel and Windlass offerings, and the best of the 3 semi-production/custom shamshirs I have. The PoB is right in that 5in/12cm sweet spot, and the overall mass is low, making the sword responsive to changes in direction, easy to accelerate and stop. A lot of this is helped by the slenderness of the blade, and the relatively short length, but good distal taper is also playing a role no doubt. The usable grip length on the front face is about 3.15in or 8cm, this is short for modern production swords but more historically correct and fits like a glove. My grip feels secure between the guard and the curve of the 'pommel'. If there was one thing I might change it would be the length; a few centimeters more might be nice, but that's just a thought.

Included in the price is a leather covered wood scabbard with a brass chape and steel suspension fittings. On this example, the fittings are covered by leather. The inclusion of a scabbard at this price is an excellent value for money. The scabbard finish is really rather surprisingly good, the leather seam on the reverse side is very clean, as are the various 'risers'. Retention is excellent.

This is actually my second shamshir from Peserey Handicrafts, the first was also a fantastic handling sword but had a different style crossguard than I was looking for. I asked Hamit if I could swap it for another and he was very accommodating; producing another sword for me with additional grip customization. Wait times are generally low. The first sword was finished in 2-3 months if I remember correctly, the second took a bit longer since he has become busy. Despite this, communication was always great, he usually replies to inquiries within a day or two.

I would wholeheartedly recommend both this sword and Hamit as a maker to anyone interested in Turkish or Caucasian arms.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Ian Hutchison on Wed 22 Dec, 2021 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thanks for this review! I've visited their etsy page and I am impressed. I'm now wondering about your other 2 best semi-production/custom Shamshirs...are they from the same company? I've been looking around for some good makers - there doesn't seem to be a clear top dog (like Albion for Euro swords) in that regard.
Considering what seems to be a flat grind,the numbers look pretty good to me. Weight appropriate for the blade length and fittings. Looking at the Etsy site shows what look like great deals when you factor in the free shipping. Everything in the photos show top notch finishes.

Enjoy!
GC

Merry Christmas
Dan Kary wrote:
Thanks for this review! I've visited their etsy page and I am impressed. I'm now wondering about your other 2 best semi-production/custom Shamshirs...are they from the same company? I've been looking around for some good makers - there doesn't seem to be a clear top dog (like Albion for Euro swords) in that regard.

The other two are an Ottoman Swords shamshir and an Indian 'Irani' style sword (basically a localized shamshir).

The Ottoman Swords shamshir I bought for its ridiculous curve, it's perfectly fine for the price and is larger than the Peserey, but comes in at 900g and has little distal taper. If they could increase the distal taper and get it down to 800-850g it would be much improved.
[ Linked Image ]

The Indian one is even smaller and lighter than the Peserey, it feels great but I have no idea how well it would hold up to use. The Peserey I already consider on the shorter end, so this is even more-so. I also know Hamit uses good, heat treated steel, and with some Indian blades that is in question.
[ Linked Image ]

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Considering what seems to be a flat grind,the numbers look pretty good to me. Weight appropriate for the blade length and fittings. Looking at the Etsy site shows what look like great deals when you factor in the free shipping. Everything in the photos show top notch finishes.

Enjoy!
GC

Merry Christmas

Thanks GC, I certainly won't complain about the finish since all my swords get used anyway, but those expecting the highest level of perfection might argue. I also don't expect Albion like results at this price and when the work is done by hand. Some other reviewers mention a few tool marks, scratches, uneven polish etc., which this also has, but then again so do originals.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: