Swordbreakers?
Hello! im the new guy, and was wondering if anyone had any pics of swordbreakers (maine gauche dagger type devices with teeth on the back...) I am trying to make one (or would if i knew how the devil they went together), and haven't been able to make any headway.
Go here - http://www.deltin.it/i6.htm - and scroll to the bottom of the page to see DT2179. I was always curious why Del Tin would market a sword breaker - to help them sell more swords? :D
THANKS
GEE THANKS I think it was to keep current customers alive...i'v never really heard of a swordbreaker breaking any blade-more of a catch and twist thing i think to deflect.
Might be something in the photo libraries on this site.
Do these actually break swords or do they just trap them? I wouldn't imagine that they would break a sword, but I would like to check that. I can't really picture a jitte breaking a katana either, but I think I've read some places that they could....
Probably just a leftover Victorian Museum name that was attached to these parrying daggers as they might be able to snap a thin Rapier blade ? But mostly would be good at trapping a blade. Sort of like " Kidney Dagger " instead of " Ballock Dagger "
being used by prudish Victorians.

I think the Japanese considered the oak bokken as a potential sworbreaker because a hard hit to the side of a katana could snap or bend a blade: One reason Musashi use a bokken for many of his duels ( Fact check that one ! Memory could be faulty. ;) ) A Bo or the shorter Jo stick also could be used this way.

I vaguely remember some sort of steel bar ( mace ? ) mounted on a sword hilt may also have been used as a true swordbreaker, but I don't remember where or when.

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Fri 16 Jun, 2006 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Do these actually break swords or do they just trap them?

That matter I was thinking of for a long time, until I purchased a sword catcher from Valentine Armoury and put it into action.
My conclusion is that theoretically one can break a rapier blade, catched with such a dagger by hitting it with the own rapier pommel, but in this case your right side is completely exposed for an attack. If your opponent have a knife (you never know) - you are finished, but if he even doesn't, still the guy can approach and hit you with his fist or grab your hair and you can do nothing in this case because your dagger is locked with his rapier and your rapier arm is blocked by his body, and if his rapier blade is already broken he will finish you with this broken blade being himself out of reach of your dagger.
But it is a perfect weapon for catching the adversaries blade.

Just my own opinion.
I have one of these and I don't think anyone's strong enough to hold onto a sword hard enough to allow it to be broken. In theory you could break a sword with one if your opponent had wrists like the Hulk, but in practice when you catch a blade and twist the dagger, you disarm your opponent...which is better than snapping his blade, as you can still kill someone with half a sword.
Sorry, I forgot to mention. I meant only a rapier blade. Breaking a sword, even a tiny longsword is out of question.

By the way, when this type of blade first appeared?
The Japanese Jitte could be used to control a larger blade:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitte_(weapon)[/url]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: