New things from John Lundemo.......
John has a few new things up on his website, such as...........................

Very seaxy.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

One for you 13th warrior fans. Not historical but with a high cool factor just the same.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

www.odinblades.com
Hmmmm....yet another two-handed Viking sword. I'm really starting to like these things, historical or not. That seax is a real beauty too. :)
I really wish those viking two-handers were historical. 'Cause they just deserve to be.
Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
I really wish those viking two-handers were historical. 'Cause they just deserve to be.
My thoughts exactly. Whether or not any such sword existed in history, these long-hilted Viking type pieces certainly look "right". I find them very pleasing to look at, and I'm sure that with their broad blades and two-handed hilt they make vicious cutters. Another sword I think deserves a two-handed iteration: the Swiss baselard. :)
G. Scott H. wrote:
Another sword I think deserves a two-handed iteration: the Swiss baselard. :)

Baselards are generally considered daggers. There are some rather large examples of these (~20") which border between short swords and large daggers. If having a viking sword with a two handed grip is a stretch from reality, than a double handed baselard is a stretch squared (or cubed for that matter).

Alexi
Alexi Goranov wrote:
G. Scott H. wrote:
Another sword I think deserves a two-handed iteration: the Swiss baselard. :)

Baselards are generally considered daggers. There are some rather large examples of these (~20") which border between short swords and large daggers. If having a viking sword with a two handed grip is a stretch from reality, than a double handed baselard is a stretch squared (or cubed for that matter).

Alexi
I didn't realize that baselards were typically so short. I was thinking of something like MRL's baselard. As long as we're talking fantasy though, why not a baselard style design with a 30" blade and two-handeed grip? :eek: :)

[ Linked Image ]

P.S. I like the baselard's grip because it reminds me of the so-called "Holbein" style dagger (a perfectly elegant and IMHO attractive dagger style only marred by its modern day association with the Nazis :mad: ).
I really want a nice seax. Now the word "justification" springs to mind.

Oh and that tactical gladius, priceless.
Alina Boyden wrote:
I really want a nice seax. Now the word "justification" springs to mind.

Oh and that tactical gladius, priceless.
How 'bout the Sword of Peru. :eek: http://www.odinblades.com/Pages/SwordOfPeru.html
Remarkable work from John. I love the new gladius. And the seax...and i'm sure that's the "angerthas" engraving from Lord of the Rings. I love the curved pierced pommel warder, anyone know how they make those hollow pommel swords?
Decisions, decisions. Lot's of goodies in Mr. Lundemo's candy store!!
Michael F. wrote:
And the seax...and i'm sure that's the "angerthas" engraving from Lord of the Rings.

Tolkien based the Angerthas Erebor and the Angerthas Moria on the Germanic Futhark (or Futharken, I'm not entirely sure which is correct), but changed which symbols are associated with which sounds. If it is Angerthas Erebor, the runes on the blade spell: "Eoobbooiow." If it is Angerthas Moria, it says: "Éóbbóin." Neither of those look like Tolkien's Elvish words (though I am no expert on Eldarin or Sindarin). If the runes are Futhark, then it spells: "Herreid." While Herreid is not a name or word that I am familiar with, it seems more feasable.

Still, I like the engraving, and the seax as a whole.

-Grey
Eoobbooiow!

Say it again, say it again! :lol:
David R. Glier wrote:
Eoobbooiow!

Say it again, say it again! :lol:

Actually, I think Grey is just a bit off on this one. I believe the runes spell out, Woohoo! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually you're all way off base. The runes say "I belong to Patrick".

Okay, wishfull thinking. :(
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Actually you're all way off base. The runes say "I belong to Patrick".

Okay, wishfull thinking. :(

Oops! My bad! I was reading the runes upside down. What they actually say is, "Hammer Time!" :lol: I'm sure John would be willing to throw in a complementary pair of genie pants as well, Patrick. :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you see THIS one?
I'm guessing you didn't ;)
Because I can't resist, and I'm swelling with pride (as if *I* did the work), John hasn't posted this one yet!

Attachment: 61.65 KB
IMG_1012.jpg

Josh,
Is that based on a schiavonesca?
Bill Grandy wrote:
Josh,
Is that based on a schiavonesca?

Hey Bill,
Although there are some superficial similarities, this sword is different form a schiavonesca in a number of ways. Most notably, the schiavonesca's cross is basically an "s" curve with very little in the way of quillons; this cross has actual closed rings on the end of roughly inch-long quillons. The square pommel definitely has a Venetian flavor, and the blade shape would be reasonable for a schiavonesca (AFAIK), but this was actually inspired by a sword in Ridley Scott's 1492: Conquest of Paradise

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: