Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Arrow fetching dogs - help with picture Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Arrow fetching dogs - help with picture         Reply with quote

Hi All,

~I am looking for a good or at least better resolution copy of this picture for a quick video I am making.

Can you send/link me to a copy?

Thanks

Tod

Attachment: 25.32 KB
120332304_4330670377003008_6102206595882840872_n.jpg

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While I can't help you with your actual request, I could not help but posting a real life arrow-dog Big Grin

[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/10vqBEl6Le9o7qQ7w4K_K_AZb6kZFmHpa/view?usp=sharing [/url]

I'm a member of a shooting guild that shoot popinjay every year, and this particular bolt got lost bouncing off the popinjay and landing in some very dense brush. Sending in Atlas here, he retrieved it in less than a minute!

Attachment: 1003.31 KB
atlasarrow.png

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Duncan Hill

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:
I'm a member of a shooting guild that shoot popinjay every year, and this particular bolt got lost bouncing off the popinjay and landing in some very dense brush. Sending in Atlas here, he retrieved it in less than a minute!

Cool! Does your guild have a web site?
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Duncan Hill wrote:
Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:

Cool! Does your guild have a web site?

We don't have a website, but we are members of Europäische Gemeinschaft Historischer Schützen http://www.e-g-s.eu/ There is quite a few links an resources for you to check out there :-)

Or if you are interested in our version of the popinjay, shoot me a PM and I can dig up my own photos

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Tommi Syrjänen

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jun, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Arrow fetching dogs - help with picture         Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't have a link to that image, but here's a link to a blunt arrow that was made by a Mansi hunter in the late 19th century. It was bought by Uuno Sirelius in 1898.

https://finna.fi/Record/museovirasto.71A546CE6605423DD86BCC292CA02B42?imgid=1

The translation for the "usage" section is:

"Used for squirrel hunting. The club-like head is made from heavy and dense curly birch and it will stun a squirrel or a sable when it hits its head. The hunter can then finish off the animal without damaging its valuable pelt. The arrow type is very old because furs have always been used for clothes so intact pelts were desired. During Sirelius's time the Mansi paid their taxes with squirrel and sable pelts."

The measurements are: length 88 cm, diameter of the head 5 cm.

The photos of blunt crossbow bolts that are in the Finnish National Museum's collections apparently have not been digitized to Finna, yet. They were used to hunt squirrels and mustelids in Karelia up to the 19th century. The crossbows that Karelians used had wooden prods so they were nowhere close in strength to medieval war crossbows.

The technique for squirrel hunting was that it was always done with a dog. When the dog noticed a squirrel, it started to bark at it. This made the squirrel to circle to the other side of the tree trunk and freeze in place, which made it easy target for the hunter.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Arrow fetching dogs - help with picture
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic