Little Hammer (novel) by Sean Flynt
I just read the YA novel by myArmoury’s very own Sean Flynt, and it’s great! It’s set during the era of England’s Wars of the Roses, and follows the journey of a young country blacksmith who becomes an armorer’s apprentice. It’s aimed for the young adult audience, and it’s the kind of book I would have loved to have found when I was 13. It has a nice balance of historical accuracy while still being focused on the story and growth of the main character. Plus it’s full of armor talk. :)

So buy yourself a copy, particularly if you have a young adult in your life who is interested in medieval armor.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_K1CN015SED1M48NG4NP9
How did I not know this was a thing until now? :) I’ll have to pick up a copy for myself, ahem, I mean, my son….
Cool - my son is right on the cusp of YA reading, so will get a copy.
Thanks, Bill and all! This wonderful community is included in the book’s “further reading” section, so I hope some readers will find us and benefit as I have. Interested folks can also follow along at https://facebook.com/LittleHammerBook.

NOTE: Our non-US friends can find the book (print or ebook) on their regional Amazon sites. :)
Sean,
My copy should arrive tomorrow. I’m looking forward to checking it out with my son. :)
Awesome! This began as a project for my own son. It turned into something bigger, for sons and daughters, whole families….
Really enjoying my copy so far - about 1/3 through. Something meaningful to follow when I have finished it

Tod
I’ll insist on you for the movie/series, Tod!😆 Your work and thoughts on craft have inspired many projects.
My son (11) devoured this book in an afternoon. He liked it, although didn't have a specific reason why. He wasn't sure what "price" the blacksmith paid in the book - I think he was expecting something dramatic. I asked him if it was the moral dilemma of making things that kill other people? He apparently didn't see a problem with that, so he didn't think that was it....
I’m glad he liked it! Yes, The “price” of the marketing text is his participation in a system he sees causing such harm, especially among those with little power. You got it exactly. 🙂
Just finished it and really enjoyed it.

The detail and accuracy of it is outstanding and carefully written so as to not be overwhelming at any point and although is aimed at a YA audience, I felt this was more the case because the sentences are short and simple and the telling is very linear and uncomplicated, but not because the book is simplistic. Altogether I thought this was a really good first novel, but also simply a 'good novel'. When he was tidying the battlefield after Towton has stayed with since as a particularly fallen and vivid piece of writing.

Good stuff.

Tod
Many thanks for the kind words, and for all you do to help us understand and appreciate that world!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: