Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Museums in D.C. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ryan Hobbs

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Museums in D.C.         Reply with quote

Howdy!

I'm going to be stationed near Washington D.C. for the next few months. Are there any museums that have good historical arms and armor displays? I'm mainly interested in Ancient and Medieval history, but I'll go for anything really.

Also, any recommendations on good museums in general in the area? I have a wife that for some reason just can't seem to appreciate the difference between an Oakeshott type XV and XVIII. I know I'm probably the only one with this issue Wink

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
Hebrews 12:11
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Ryan,
For arms and armor, unfortunately nothing permanent is up right now. The National Museum of the American Indian used to have a fantastic display of weapons the Europeans brought over, but they took that section down (admittedly, the section felt a little forced). Occasionally the National Art Gallery, National Geographic Museum or the Folger Theater will have a traveling exhibit on the subject, but nothing is currently going on.

If you’re willing to drive up to Baltimore, though, the Walters Art Gallery has a small but nice arms and armor collection. Also, they have a medieval art gallery that is amazing.

And, although it’s further away, the Philadelphia Museum of Art is just a few hours north, and had a fantastic collection. It’s worth the day trip.

As for museums in general, well, DC is kind of the jackpot for that! Definitely go to the Museum of National History, but honestly, just browse the list of museums and pick what’s interesting!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Ryan Hobbs

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill,

Ah, too bad about the lack of arms and armor. I do however love museums in general, so I'll definitely give the others a try! If can convince the wife that a trip to Philadelphia would be doable with a newborn I'll try that, could probably spend a night there!

Thanks for the advice!

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
Hebrews 12:11

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Museums in D.C.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic