Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion 3 Next_Gen Vikings -differences? (would-be purchaser) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Geoff Wood

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
Jay Barron wrote:
Are those pommels two pieces riveted together?

I don't think so at the moment. Peter said they'd be probably be doing one piece upper guard and pommel on most Albion vikings. I assume the rivet heads shown under the upper guards are falsies.

............. which, on reflection, I find a bit sad, but it must help to keep the price down or make them stronger or something. Peter said he preferred it anyway. They still look very nice, even if they aren't quite what they seem. If you want the full works, you'll still have to go to Patrick Barta or similar.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion does intend to introduce other viking designs in the future. These will feature historically accurate construction, with two piece upper guard and pommel assemblies. These will be more expensive of course. When and for how much I can't say, and at this point neither can Albion. (Read that as "I don't know" not "It's privileged info.") All I know is that they're in the pipeline.

According to Albion personnel the pommel construction on these initial swords is due to cost. They're trying to keep the price of the Next Generation line as close as possible to the original Albion Mark line. The more elaborate models will be more akin to the Museum Line. The level of detail in the casting on the Next Gen. Vikings is excellent. As usual, the photos really don't give the full effect.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
The level of detail in the casting on the Next Gen. Vikings is excellent. As usual, the photos really don't give the full effect.

I like the effect in the latest Clontarf photo's of the contrast between the brutal, no nonsense, cutting blade and the almost 'fairy tale border' delicacy of the guard and pommel details. I'm really getting taken with that one. I didn't used to like the Ks, but the relative simplicity of that 'loaf' shape is growing on me. As you say, must be gorgeous in reality.
Manny G

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
Are those pommels two pieces riveted together?

You can kinda tell from the "wax" that they're all one piece.

Looking at the waxes, I thought the "lobes" were very 'unprominent' -- but the Clontarf pommel looks much better in non-wax form.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Dingledine wrote:
Hi Manny,

Many of the handling differences will only come to light after the individual hilts are assembled. Because the blades/hilts are all of different weights, and proportions, it won't be like they are all the same.

The very general differences in the blades are a slight variation in width at the base, the amount of taper to the point, the fuller lengths and diameters (there are 4 models done right now, and only the Type 2 and 3 blades have the same fuller diameter), and a variation in the blade lengths themselves.

The Clontarf, the Vinland, and the Gotland are all assembled now. Please tell us about their handling differences. Nathan said he would give us a report, and he may be wielding them as I write this post. But some words from any Albion person would be welcome, as well.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
The Clontarf, the Vinland, and the Gotland are all assembled now. Please tell us about their handling differences. Nathan said he would give us a report, and he may be wielding them as I write this post. But some words from any Albion person would be welcome, as well.

They all handle like swords!! Weird, huh?

(grin, I'll get it to.. so many things to do.. haha)

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Manny G

PostPosted: Wed 19 Nov, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's called sword shopping by internet.

Or sword shopping by specs alone. Not the best way to go, but for some, maybe the only way available.

I like the specs of each. They seem like totally different swords now from the information. They each have a personality - though never handled one.

The other answer is buy one of each.
Manny G

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will be cutting with mine when I get it...

It won't be a display piece Big Grin
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manny G wrote:
I will be cutting with mine when I get it...

It won't be a display piece Big Grin

Neiter will my Clontarf. Happy
Manny G

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I see I see... You're a Clontarf man. The lightest of the three (I was wrong in my initial wild speculations before the specs were released). The Clontarf I see as, how shall I say it, "Princely" ?

Did you spend a lot of time deciding which one to get?
Markus Haider

PostPosted: Sat 22 Nov, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes I contempalted, quite a lot. Not only the Viking swords, but also the Rouen.
The Vinland was nice, but too much a generic Viking for me (the style is the most common found in replicas, unlike the fact that it was one of the less common sword styles), so it was a decision between the Gotland, the Gaddhjalt , and the Clontarf. I already have planned a custom sword not unlike the Gaddhjalt so it too was out of the pool.

The Gotland is a very interesting sword, especially the blade type is beautiful and the hilt quite seldom seen. The deciding factor was that it has a quite plain hilt - which I already have in a Viking sword (the ArmArt S5A) with the broad pommel (since it has to be gripped I suspect I prefer the narrower one of the Clontarf) and that I like broad cutting blades with Viking swords most. The quite stout look of the Clontarf with the contrasting fine "engravings" was very appealing to me.

I wanted a sword to define the "middle" of my Viking swords (with the S5A being the plain version of the "lower end", the Clontarf the middle with some decorations and a broad fullered very classic blade) and a future Patrick Bartà Viking with inlays, pattern-welding as the real "princly high end" Big Grin
Manny G

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice... You have a good collection going there.

I don't think you'll need to grip the pommel at all on the Clontarf.

I picked the Vinland. I'm hoping the guard and pommel will be close enough to my hand to give me an authentic feel (whatever that is) Happy
For the grip, I am thinking it will have to be rotated a little one way or the other (I have tried both) to let the pommel clear your wrist. I don't think an unusual grip will be required.

By the way, the Clontarf has the smallest pommel while the Gotland has actually a comparatively humungous pommel. I used Photoshop to size each photo to the correct proportion (as close as I could tell) and compared them side by side (minus the Gaddhjalt). It was eye-opening to see them compared so closely like that -- this was before they made the line-up "to scale."

I didn't think of it at the time, but I could have printed each of the hilt "life size" according to the specs.
Manny G

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way Markus, when are you getting yours? To arrive December, or January? Or did it arrive already?

...and / or is it one of the first 25?
Markus Haider

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It hasn't arrived yet, but I ordered it with a scabbard, so it'll take longer.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion 3 Next_Gen Vikings -differences? (would-be purchaser)
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: