Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 2021 myArmoury Fund Drive Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: 2021 myArmoury Fund Drive         Reply with quote

Friends,
I’m coming to you as a loyal reader and fan of myArmoury. As we enter the summer, it’s time for us, as a community, to renew our support of this fantastic resource. For myArmoury to remain viable, it relies on the financial support of this amazing community. This community of arms and armour enthusiasts has helped this site become the wonderful repository for information and discussion that it has been since 2003, and I hope we can count on your support to keep it going.

You can donate by clicking at the bottom of the forum homepage. Donations are handled through PayPal, though a PayPal account shouldn’t be necessary to donate. Thanks for your support!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jun, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Done my bit to keep this amazing resource going.

Whenever I need to find out something, this site is almost always my first point of call - you can't really value that in any meaningful way, but I can help to keep it here for next year so I don't have to understand what its loss may mean and I don't have to quantify its value.

As a guess though........Basically priceless; so please do your bit.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jun, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder.
M. Adair Orr

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been enjoying this site for years and I confess I have never donated before. When I consider how many times each week I click the myArmoury link in my bookmarks bar I should probably be contributing much more. Thanks to those who keep this resource going.
-Adair
Ryan Hobbs

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let's go!!!
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
Hebrews 12:11
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm already on auto-pay/membership/whatever, but I've thrown in a few bucks more for this effort.
Tyler C.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jun, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Done my part. Let's keep this thread at the top! The value I get from this site far outweighs the small membership contribution. Thanks to all others who support this site.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad to see donations coming in from a few people almost every day as I look at added names to the donors list.

This site is a great resource of information with many knowledgeable people who have contributed questions and answers, and debated in a civilized and polite manner.

This site is also valuable if one wants to sell or buy collectable weapons on this site's Marketplace Forum: I've bought a few things from the Marketplace Forum over the years, not very often, but I've never sold anything here so far, but if I ever wanted to sell some things this is the first place I would try because here members are knowledgeable enough to know the monetary value of the more valuable pieces much better than the general public.

In other words this site is the place where one has access to the most people who could be interested in buying a relatively expensive Albion or a fully custom sword.

Makers who post here get feedback about their products, suggestions and positive criticism. They also have access here to an almost captive market of people who might buy custom or bespoke items from them.

Plus makers get to show their work to an appreciative audience.

In the past, I have purchased some expensive items from makers that I would never have known about if I didn't come here to participate in discussions, or on many days just have a look and read postings by makers I didn't know about: So, " HINT HINT " makers who come here should think of also supporting this site financially, even if only with a small annual donation.

In any case there are many reasons why this site and contents should be supported to remain an available asset, and a place to learn and discuss matters related to historical arms and armour.

Note: I intend to make a financial contribution in about a week or so when I will be in my next credit-card monthly billing cycle.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have donated so far. Happy Nathan has updated the bottom of the forum homepage with the progress toward this year’s goal. At the moment, we’re just under 1/4 of the way to the goal.
Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As promised in my first post on this Topic I made a donation today as I want this site to survive and still be around for at least another year.

Oh, I would suggest that people making a donation add a posting here and say why they want to support the site and what they get out of the site.

Also, this is a way to " Bump " the donation drive Topic and add to the interest in reading the Topic and maybe motivate people to make a donation of any size. Wink Big Grin

Those who visit the site daily or weekly, even if they never post questions or answers in the Forum, are getting some good value from the site: Why would one visit often if one didn't get something they value from the site !? So, making sure that the next time they want to visit the site in the coming year, "myArmoury" will still be here to learn, enjoy and share a common passion for historic arms and armour.

Lets start working on the next $1000 towards the donation goal that is needed to pay the annual hosting costs needed to maintain the site, we are now close to halfway there !

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since the Donation Drive Topic has moved down out of the most recent posting on the Home Page, I'm bumping it up.

Now, I hope that other people will also Bump the Topic and add their reasons why they value this site, when they donate, or even if they can't donate if their financial situation is not currently healthy ! Less boring if it's not just me bumping Sad

As mentioned in all the previous years Donation Drives, the main reason for the annual Donation Drive is to cover the hosting costs for the site.

Without this financial support Nathan would have to pay from his own pocket the hosting costs !

Now, this site isn't run with being a commercial profit making venture in mind: For those who don't know this already, Nathan created and maintains this site because he wanted to create a site where people could learn about the history of arms and armour. and share their knowledge and passion for the subject!

The Donations came in fairly well at the start but have sort of stalled at near, but still below, the midway point to the donation objective which is really the minimal amount of money needed to keep this site on it's Servers ..... No money for the hosting costs equals no "myArmoury " ! Well unless Nathan pays it from donations or out of his own funds !

If you value the content of this site, depend on it as a source of information, discussion, a market place to sell or buy on the Marketplace Forum, and also visit the site often: Making a small Donation would be appreciated.

The arguments for supporting this site can become repetitive from what has been written in all of the previous years, but they are still true, and worth repeating for people new to the site. Wink Cool

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jul, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just another " Kick At The Can Bump " of the Topic to keep it on the home page.

A nice initial burst of donations after my las posting, but the donations have stalled again, thanks to al those who have already made a donation.

At the time of this writing we are $50 shy of being at the halfway mark to the donation goal: So who will get us to the half way mark ?

Now if you visit this site often and get a lot of value from it making a small donation will help, and if enough people make a small donation we will get to the objective this year as with previous years.

! dollar a day for 365 days would be a donation of $365 ! Now $1 dollar every 10 days would be $36.50 which I think wouldn't be a financial burden for most. ( I realize that some people just can't afford to give, so that's OK ! )

Now giving $10 to support the site once a year is like 2 expensive coffee shop coffees ..... Wink

Anyway, it would be a shame and shameful if Nathan ended up having to pay anything for the hosting costs considering " UNPAID" the time and effort it took to create this site, and to maintain it in operation.

Michael Harley

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jul, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have just made my annual donation, this takes us to 'half way there'. In these troubled times I find it more important than ever to have a sanctuary of rationality and logical thought, myArmoury.com is that sanctuary. I will be doing whatever I can to help Nathan and the team maintain this site and more importantly, this community, I would hate to loose it. I would urge anyone who gets anything at all from this site to assist in its upkeep. It's a good feeling.
Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not wisdom, Wisdom is not truth - Frank Zappa
Barrett Hiebert

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jul, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The goal has been reached! Wink
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jul, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Barrett Hiebert wrote:
The goal has been reached! Wink

Thank you!
Barrett Hiebert

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jul, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron,

I’ve scoured this website a plethora of times! It was much overdue! Glad to be of service! For the fellow forumites and eternal life to this forum and posterities sake, for the future generations to come!

Best regards,

Barrett Hiebert
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jul, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm always moved by the generosity and general awesomeness of this community. This place is the best, and I hope it's around for many more years. Happy
Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jul, 2021 2:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad that we reached the donation goal, but I'm also glad that some donations have continued coming in as this gives a financial cushion in case of unexpected costs that might occur during the year, but also because with more available money it would help in some future improvements to the site.

Now, one way of looking at reaching the Donation Drive Goal is that it's like getting enough money to pay the rent, any extra money is like also having money to buy food, pay for utilities and possibly do some renovations .... Wink Laughing Out Loud

So the $2400 goal paid for this year's hosting costs for the computer servers which I am making a simile to paying rent on one's apartment.

Oh, we reached the goal due to people making big and small donations, a few did way more than any minimum effort and they know who they are and deserve special thanks. (Disclaimer: By the way, this is my personal opinion and I have no official role in the administration of this site: Just a long time member. )

Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jul, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I never realized how expensive it is to host this forum, or how few people actual contribute.

This changes everything.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
I never realized how expensive it is to host this forum, or how few people actual contribute.

This changes everything.

Yes the number of people who make a Donation in any given year is rarely more than 100 people and can even be way under 100 people Exclamation

If more people supported the site it might be possible to make some serious upgrades and/or even have contests with prizes like in previous years ..... Wink

The Donation Drive is mostly now just to make sure that the hosting costs don't all come out of Nathan's personal income, so that the unavoidable yearly costs are at least covered !

Basically this is why I'm still " Bumping " the Topic even after the basic Donation Goal has been met !

If more of the membership contributed $10 to $20 dollars Nathan might have more options to improve the site.

( EDITED: I put my money where my mouth is and just rounded up the amount with another donation .... )

As mentioned before, Nathan created this site not as a revenue producing site, but he has spend thousands of hours creating this site, maintaining it over more than a decade without it ever being a " Cash Cow " for him with a lot of " UNPAID WORK " !

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 2021 myArmoury Fund Drive
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: