GGK 4thC BC Kopis
Hi all, finally had the time to do a video on the custom Kopis I had made by Purna Darnal of the Great Gurkha Khukuri.

It was a great experience and I am beyond happy with my sword.

Please forgive my rather erratic review. I'm sure I missed a lot of information that should be in a review.

But I do cut stuff from horseback, so hopefully that makes up for it.

https://vimeo.com/559342877
Rod,

Exceptional stuff! I salute you! Love your dedication to authenticity!

Best regards,

Barrett Hiebert
Very nice looking sword, Rod!
Absolutely outstanding sword, Sir!

Love the fuller, the yelman, and just about everything on that blade. Your smith probably needs to be paid more for the work he does - if you ever take a class, you will certainly understand! Absolutely wonderful - thank you very kindly for sharing.
Thanks for showing off your new toy!

Could you provide more information about the original this was based on (such as its archaeological context)? It looks like a Verčík type V but I don't remember seeing a kopis with one and a half edges like that.
Hi Sean, the hilt on mine is based on a kopis found in Bulgaria. there is a photo of it in the video. I cannot remember where it is held off the top of my head.

The blade is based on one held in the Musée d'Art Classique de Mougins in France.

You can just see the false edge on the back of the blade. Mine is only sharp on the one side as well.

Attachment: 188.46 KB
155157738_2910777372536936_978991569336192999_n (600x800).jpg

A bad photo of the full blade.

Attachment: 71.8 KB
154916695_2713580458954410_1659051139680664951_n (215x800).jpg

Rod Walker wrote:
Hi Sean, the hilt on mine is based on a kopis found in Bulgaria. there is a photo of it in the video. I cannot remember where it is held off the top of my head.

The blade is based on one held in the Musée d'Art Classique de Mougins in France.

You can just see the false edge on the back of the blade. Mine is only sharp on the one side as well.

Thanks for the information! I don't know Thracian kopides as well as Greek ones.

Its frustrating that private collectors are often more forthcoming with measurements and photos than museums are since tracking down the provenance of charismatic ancient objects in private collections can be difficult. Christian Levett seems like an interesting character.
Absolutely stunning and highly accurate work. GGK has come a long way since I got my falcata from them a couple years back -- an excellent sword, even if there are some issues (the grip is too long, which really is my fault as I should have been more specific). From what I've seen, GGK are the go-to guys for affordable, accurate and functional replicas of kopis/falcata/makhaira type swords. I'd buy from them again, no hesitation.
I really like seeing reproductions and 'sister pieces' of this kind of stuff, and really like getting glimpses at your kit Rod. The cutting from horseback looks great too. Are the targets pool noodles? Maybe I need a horse and another sword...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: