Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Unusual Wheel Lock ... Thingies Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Unusual Wheel Lock ... Thingies         Reply with quote

Greetings,

It's been a while since we've had a "What is it?" thread so I thought I'd start one. The following images are of two unusual wheelock guns. One of them I already know what it is, maybe you can guess. The other one I have no idea. This is a knowledgeable community so I hope we can all learn something out of this.

Cheers,

[Edited to correct the title and the text to say wheelock instead of matchlock. OOPS Eek! Blush ]

Attachment: 18.04 KB
weird_matchlock.jpg
This one is the real mystery to me

Attachment: 10.73 KB
Weird_matchlock_2.jpg
And this one, can you guess?

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy

Last edited by Nate C. on Tue 26 Apr, 2005 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alina Boyden

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Isn't the top one just a wheel lock?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hummmmm; Wild guess time Razz

The second is a wheelock, possibly a rifle intended for hunting. The mechanism is internal and hidden from view and the tall pipe is a chimeny to channel the flash and smoke of the priming powder up: maybe intended to keep the sighting plane free of smoke until the main charge goes off a fraction of a second later.
I would also guess that this helps keeping focus on sights and target during the delay and maybe hide the flash and avoid spooking the game ?

The first one I would make a WILD guess that it may be some sort of anti-thief boobytrap gun or maybe a remotely controled gun using a cord attached to the firing mechanism for deliberate fire to protect an entrance way from unwelcomed visitors: A 16th century anti-door to door salesman device. Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes. Neither are matchlocks.

They're both wheellocks. I suspect the top one is a hunting type of some sort. I don't know why it's shaped like that. I wonder if there's a lock on the other side, too?

The bottom has a smoke deflector and a hidden internal wheel mechanism. The deflecting tube, or chimney, was supposed to direct the smoke upwards and out of the way. They were likely not very effective in that.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nate C.

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Yes. Neither are matchlocks.

OOPS Eek! !

Don't you just hate thinking one thing and typing something else?

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
The mechanism is internal and hidden from view and the tall pipe is a chimeny to channel the flash and smoke of the priming powder up: maybe intended to keep the sighting plane free of smoke until the main charge goes off a fraction of a second later.

Nathan Robinson wrote:
The bottom has a smoke deflector and a hidden internal wheel mechanism. The deflecting tube, or chimney, was supposed to direct the smoke upwards and out of the way. They were likely not very effective in that.

We have some winners Cool Cool ! It is indeed a wheelock with a smoke deflector. I don't know if it's for hunting though. The first one I am not sure about. My thought is that it's a booby trap of some kind. If someone out there can read german and wants to check the Hermann Historica site they might be able to clear this one up. Both of these were in the latest catalogue I think.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate;

The chimney one seems to have a rear sight and this leads me to believe that in all probability it is a rifle.

Also this doesn't look like it would be a military gun as most of the highly decorated archebuses / muskets where made for nobility or rich merchants for hunting and maybe for war as a personal weapon: Doesn't look like a "munitions " type that you would see in large numbers in the hands of the rank and file musketeer. If for hunting the odds go up that it would be rifled.

My expertise on this subject is wide but shallow and I'm sure much more knowledgable people could tell us more and with more certainty.

Oh, the other one seems to have holes in the wood furniture that might be used to bolt it down. Question

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michael Mercier

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: could be a booby trap...         Reply with quote

well what I can decipher out of the auction is that it says it has four mounting holes (could possibly be a booby trap). After looking at the picture again, you can clearly see the holes.

Other than that, I have no idea yet.

Mike
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dang, been offline all day so missed this one. Jean is of course right on the chimney, and Nathan on the booby-trap... at least that is my understanding of it. The rifle with the chimney was probably more a target rifle though...

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Nate C.

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
.. Nathan on the booby-trap... at least that is my understanding of it...

So it's a black powder bear trap essentially? Or is it more of a home defense device?

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude

David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
When I first saw the top one, I immediately thought about some kind of a house defense device. I'm sure I've seen something similar in its principle in a 19th C. French almanach.

David

P.S. Recently, a mad man here in Belgium had hidden a whole bunch of booby-traps like this one in his house. Very effective : the last one he was installing killed him...
K Holsen

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The top one looks like a "Punt Gun". Used with either a tripline for trap like purposes or mounted in the front of a boat
(hence the Punt part of the name) and fired from the rear by pulling a cord attached to the weapon. I had thought that wheel locks did not like being wound and primed to fire for long periods of time though, something to do with the spring taking a set and not functioning properly anymore.
I could of course be wrong.
Mark Eskra

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jun, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: hmmm         Reply with quote

the lower one looks a bit like a multi-shot i was in a book "Pistols", where the balls are stacked, and powder loaded into the grip. A crank was turned, powrer loaded, and ball placed (ball first of course, followed by powder). outside of that, beats me.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

K Holsen wrote:
The top one looks like a "Punt Gun". Used with either a tripline for trap like purposes or mounted in the front of a boat
(hence the Punt part of the name) and fired from the rear by pulling a cord attached to the weapon. I had thought that wheel locks did not like being wound and primed to fire for long periods of time though, something to do with the spring taking a set and not functioning properly anymore.
I could of course be wrong.

I agree that the first is a punt gun. I was glad to see soemone offer that function as a possibility.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think it's a punt gun, because the barrel is too small viz the lock. Most of the punt guns I've seen were huge, with 1" or better bores and long barrels. Similar crude stocks, though.

It looks to me as though the barrel and lock were originally mounted on a pistol, in fact, and now have this rather unusual stock which allow it to be attached to a fixed position. I'd still vote for some sort of a booby-trap, though lots of other possibilities exist. That the trigger is mounted on the top of the stock is indeed VERY unusual. and makes for lots of postulations. Nice piece to mount under a table in case your friends cheat at cards. Big Grin Just don't bump it accidentally with you knee!

And true enough, wheellocks don't care to be left wound up for long periods of time. The spring can take a "set" and thus loose it's power, or the chain can get bound up and stuck. Either way is bad for performance. Wink So if it's a booby-trap, it would have to be set within a few hours of the presumed victim's arrival on the scene, rather than being left for days or weeks spanned and ready to go off.

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jun, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate,

"Hermann Historica...Both of these were in the latest catalogue I think."

Do you remember where, exactly?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Edit: Nevermind--I found it!
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jun, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Translation of the description of the first gun...

Wheel-lock-rifle,German,dated1651,eight-edged passing into round barrel,cal 17 mm.Lock decorated with engraved tendril.On the wheel the date 1651.Spring-mounted flash pan cover,trigger placed on the upper side(not working).Darkend mounting(vermiculated)with four attechment holes.Length 57 cm.Rare hunting weapon,oftenly used by poachers

(Translation courtesy of V. Guberinic on the German Language forum of SFI)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Unusual Wheel Lock ... Thingies
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic