Go to page 1, 2  Next

"Farbauti" by Jake Powning
Jake is in the process of finishing up a new sword for me. It's not a historical design, but is based upon a few of the swords from the old Norse sagas as mentioned in the "magical swords" thread.

The sword is dedicated to Odin and has many design elements that reference the Runatal.

Farbauti - "Cruel Striker"

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ][/img]
Outstanding craftsmanship! If it were only historically plausible..........
Alexi
I like it. I like it a lot.
I always get crap about larger handled Viking swords, but no one will give you crap about that masterpiece, thats for sure! :D awesome!

Last edited by Alex Oster on Mon 25 Apr, 2005 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alex Oster wrote:
no one will give you carp about that masterpiece :D awesome!

No, but they may give you halibut or salmon..... :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, I saw the spelling error and it struck me funny. :)

That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time! :eek: :cool: I like the long grip, and the pattern in the blade is beautiful. What do all those runes on the scabbard say? :)
Gorgeous, just gorgeous.
Wow! That is fantastic in every sense of the word. I love seeing new stuff from Jake.
The scabbard has the first two stanzas of the Runatal written in Old Norse using the Elder Futhork.

http://www.powning.com/jake/nordrune/runatal.shtml

More info on Jake's site:

http://www.powning.com/jake/commish/swords.shtml
Incredible, an absolutely fantastic work of art.
Well, it doesn't always have to be about history :p And this is a great piece of " Art " :cool:
Someone is looking for magical swords on this forum. I believe this one is a perfect example, seeing how it's hypnotizing us all... And Jake Powning must have supernatural gifts for being able to create such a masterpiece !

David
:cool: Farbauti have not just been found yet :D
its a really nice sword and art, is it type R or Z long :D
here are a link for Futhark
I see you put the Valknot there too ;) nice addiction to any weapon...That sword is absolutely stunning though, kudos to Jake on putting his expertese to such a fine sword.

:cool:
What beautiful work!
The detail on that sword is amazing. Jake really is a talented artist and the pieces he puts out show every bit of hsi talent and hard work. Congratulations on the piece Thomas! I like historical swords as well but , a sword does not have to be "historically plausable" to be a beautiful work of art. Knowing Jake, I am certain that this puppy will cut like the devil too.

Joel
I really like that. It reminds me of a functional version of the swords from "The 13th Warrior." While not historically plausable, I do think that this piece maintains the feature of being practical anf unctional. After all, most other sword types have a long handled version. Farbauti is about as far from historically based as my interests carry me, but for a sword that I think of as fantasy, I like it very much.

-Grey
what's in a name?
For some reason I always hated the term "fantasy sword" for a sword that was not based on historical examples. I prefer the term ahistorical. :confused: Fantasy gives the connotation that the sword is not "real", meaning it doesn't function as a proper sword should. There are swords being made that do not function as sword should. Someone once denoted these as "sword-like objects" . This piece by Jake Powning , I believe, would cut and function exactly like a sword designed for combat. Sure it doesn't fit into neatly into the Oakeshott topology or the Peterson, but it is not fantasy. :)

Joel
Re: what's in a name?
Joel Whitmore wrote:
Fantasy gives the connotation that the sword is not "real", meaning it doesn't function as a proper sword should.

As an alternate point of view, I'll say that I don't get that connotation from the term. Not even a glimpse of it.

It's time for everybody to allow themselves to have another view of that word. Today's market has many, many fantasy designs that are both functional and of quality construction.
Thomas Jason wrote:
The scabbard has the first two stanzas of the Runatal written in Old Norse using the Elder Futhork.

http://www.powning.com/jake/nordrune/runatal.shtml

More info on Jake's site:

http://www.powning.com/jake/commish/swords.shtml

Thank you. :)

P.S. I would also agree with the idea that the term 'fantasy" is not necessarily derrogatory. This sword, for example, could be termed a fantasy sword, but I'm sure that it is every bit as functional as any historical sword with similar blade design/construction. Most people (myself included) tend to associate "fantasy" with the monstrocities found in any shopping mall knife shop; however, I agree that this isn't necessarily a fair association. This sword proves that fantasy and function are not mutually exclusive. :)
Incredible design, truly awe-inspiring. I can imaging you are very proud mr. Jason.

As for the fantasy aspect: I have a leafblade by John Lundemo of Odinblades. Maybe not historical, but a sword in every sence of the word.
Fantisies
Interesting how different people take different associations with the same word. One thing I learned today that fantasy can mean "a coin usually not intended for circulation as currency and often issued by a dubious authority " according to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary. LOL I never knew that one. ;)

Joel
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: