A&A "Moonbrand" Sword
The owner of Arms and Armor's Moonbrand repro wouldn't so happen to be on this forum would he/she?

I'm curious about it's handling characteristics, presence, etc.

Leelund
Moonbrand
Hi Leelund

I believe he is but I know he was away from home base as he visited us at the Ren Faire recently. I might be able to answer some stuff for you. What are you trying to find out?

Best
Craig
I've been long curious about Oakeshot's favorite sword. I wanted to know how it feels in the hand. Is it on the more "choppy" side or more on the "floating" balance side? Apart from that I just wanted to get some general impressions of the sword.

I assumed/was hoping it would've been shown off by now. Haha.

Curiosity's been killing me.

Thanks,
Leelund
I have a more specific question for Craig Johnson, who I assume is very familiar with handling the original at the Oakeshott Institute. How does your version compare to the original? Is there anything you would do differently if you did it over again?

I had the same notion of asking A&A to reproduce 'Moonbrand', but someone beat me to it.
iI know this thread is old but I have been interested in this sword as of late.

Craig- what are your thoughts on this sword? How close is your production to the original? Are there any difference between the two?

Also to anyone who has handled this sword I would appreciate your thoughts as well.
Moonbrand
Apologies for missing this thread my friends, life has been intense of late. By coinkydink check out our blog post today and the new model we have up from The Oakeshott Institute.

Be well
God bless you, Craig!

While XV's may be my favorite for practical purposes, XIV's, and sometimes XVI's certainly have the most appealing blade profiles. Thank you for the presentation.

...One thing I did take good note of in the presentation was the varying edge geometry. You noted that a fine edge was found where the blade was thickest, while it transitioned to a much more robust edge as the blade thinned down (and notably, it was thin to begin with!). This is actually a technical concept that I have personally struggled with when it comes to actual sharpening, as my ideal of a good edge calls for a constant edge geometry. However, doing such a thing with a weapon that thin would result in a much less-than-durable weapon. Very cool to see that such a problem was understood and dealt with in the historical weapon - and, of course, they would have!
Hi Craig,

I am curious if you can speak on the construction of moonbrand. Can you tell if it has an iron core or is it made of a consistent steel?

I really enjoyed your blog post BTW.
Construction
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hi Craig,

I am curious if you can speak on the construction of moonbrand. Can you tell if it has an iron core or is it made of a consistent steel?

I really enjoyed your blog post BTW.

Hi Jeremy

Great question. I wish I had a bunch of specs and details I could give to show how it is constructed but it has not been tested very much. I have been working on the possibility of an xray examination which would indicate if it was a multi part blade. I kind of expect it might be. There is little to indicate that it was visually though there is evidence its of wrought material in the corrosion patterns and some long stringers or at least space were the stringers were (silicate inclusions that are stretched thin when the blade is forged).

If I am able to get the xray exam set up I will of course share the info :-)

Craig
What's also interesting about this sword are the inscriptions on the blade.

I don't see any trace of inlay. I can't think of any/many examples of non-inlayed details on blades of this period- maybe the St. Maurice of Turin sword- I'm not sure.

The marks on Moonbrand really have a pretty unique character.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: