New rondel dagger by Josh Davis
Friends,
This should be on its way to me soon. It's based off an English rondel dagger found here dated to the 14th century. It has a composite rondel at the base of the blade and a flaring pommel on the other end of the grip. The blade is hollow ground.

Here's the original:

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

The repro is by Davis Reproductions. The scabbard draws from historical scabbards with the rondel being partially encased by the scabbard. The decoration comes from the 14th century Gaston Phoebus hunting book. The hunter is tooting his horn, a nod to my musical background. :)

Attachment: 185.55 KB
rondel 1.jpg

Attachment: 160.33 KB
rondel 2.jpg

Attachment: 200.46 KB
rondel 3.jpg

Attachment: 172.22 KB
rondel 4.jpg

Attachment: 261.62 KB
rondel 5.jpg

Daaaaaang I don't even like rondel daggers that much and that's spiffy!
Stab them with one end; give them a serious concussion with the other. Nice!
Quite lovely, congrats. I especially like the work on the scabbard. I think the rondel may be my favorite type of dagger and I'm particularly drawn to earlier examples like this.
That’s a great piece! Congratulations!
That's a very nice blade, looks pretty thick too. Would love to feel the ridge with my finger.
That's a really cool dagger Chad. Very unique.
I absolutely love Josh’s leather work. It’s been a huge inspiration to me.

Congrats on a beautiful piece!
Very nice Chad!
Josh’s work is amazing as always.
I recently received a version of this dagger from Tod.
It’s rapidly become my favorite medieval knife.
Very nice! I, too, have some work shortly on my way from Josh, and I can't wait. The dude does great stuff.
Well that's impressive in every way, looks " lethal " and elegant at the same time. As others have written the leather work is fantastic.
So, here's an updated version of this piece. I had originally asked for a grip that was pretty straight. That, combined with the thickness of the bottom of the pommel, made that end of the piece a little clunky when compared to the overall elegance of the rest so I asked Josh for a quote to tweak the pommel and grip. The narrow part of the pommel was made even narrower, the top and bottom of the grip were tapered in, and the grip was rewrapped with a cord overwrap and risers at either end. I really like it. It's much more refined looking to my eye.

These pics aren't the best, but should give you the idea.

Attachment: 72.4 KB
davis1.jpg

Attachment: 64.97 KB
davis2.jpg

Attachment: 96.88 KB
daggers.jpg

New rondel dagger by Josh davis
Chad,

My first impression, pre rework, was a an interesting piece, but ho-hum. Hope the fix was not much of a bother, as it gave the dagger a very eloquent appearance! The leather work on the scabbard is very attractive. Congrats!

Cheers,
Dan

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: