DIY complex hilted grosse messer
Happy enough with this one to share it here

Depending on who you ask it would classify as either a grosse messer or sabre but it's very much a messer in my mind. I was cursing myself through the whole making of the crossguard but after handling it assembled I think I really need to make more and even more complex :lol:

Overall length is 111cm
Blade is 83 cm
Point of balance is 10 cm from the guard
Center of percussion 55cm from the guard right after where the fullers end
It has a distal taper from 7 mm at the shoulder down to 3 mm 4cm from the point
Weight is 1420 grams

Blade is spring tempered, hilt is mild steel and grip is cord bound wood core and leather

You might notice that this is a left handed weapon as I am left handed and I feel like we get pretty left out when it comes to complex hilts

Attachment: 85.69 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 113.62 KB
2.jpg

Attachment: 126.61 KB
3.jpg

Attachment: 117.48 KB
4.jpg

Attachment: 123.1 KB
5.jpg

Attachment: 115.03 KB
6.jpg

Attachment: 116.98 KB
7.jpg

Attachment: 112.92 KB
8.jpg

Last edited by Björn Gísli Gylfason on Fri 04 Sep, 2020 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Awesome!

As a fellow left-hander I salute you :D
Now if you would just go on to making a sinclair-hilt...
Awesome work!

But for a DIY project, you do seem to have a rather impressive workshop... :eek:
Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:
Awesome!

As a fellow left-hander I salute you :D
Now if you would just go on to making a sinclair-hilt...

Just had a look at some of them and yes, they really do look interesting and a complete pain in the butt to make which means I very well might try making one in the future

Paul Hansen wrote:
Awesome work!

But for a DIY project, you do seem to have a rather impressive workshop... :eek:

I have a pretty good workshop setup at home as I do all kinds of metalwork and fabrication :)
That’s REALLY cool. Whatever you call it. Bravo.

And definitely second the Sinclair hilt recommendation.
Damn fine work! I really like this. Well done.
Great work, especially for DIY!
I have done and posted a few DIY projects myself (with a much more primitive workshop), but never attempted complex hilts as I can't figure out how to assemble them, within my technical limitations. Do you have a welding setup in your workshop, or found some other way to build this hilt?

Alex.
Alex Indman wrote:
Great work, especially for DIY!
I have done and posted a few DIY projects myself (with a much more primitive workshop), but never attempted complex hilts as I can't figure out how to assemble them, within my technical limitations. Do you have a welding setup in your workshop, or found some other way to build this hilt?

Alex.

I do have various welders and used a tig welder to assemble this guard but I think that next time I attempt something like this I would like to try and braze it as I have a feeling many originals have been made in that way
That's very nice!

I think whether you'd call it a sabre or a messer would depend upon handle construction. That looks like a traditional sword-like grip construction, rather than the full width tang and scales seen on the messer, but regardless of what you call it, it's extremely impressive!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: