Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > WS Shrewsbury Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:
G. Scott H. wrote:
...Second, it will get to a point where it will no longer be profitable for small American companies like Albion to sell outside the U.S., so we'll have them all to ourselves....

Sorry, but I don't understand your logic (maybe because I woke up way too early!). With the decline of the US Dollar, the price of American made products will be relatively cheaper for purchasers buying in other currencies, e.g., the Euro. The isolated effect for people like Albion is that they should benefit from the Dollar decline, and this would tend to firm their prices. (Of course, that effect can be offset by other factors, e.g., a weakening of the US economy making sword enthusiasts here relatively poorer Worried and spending more time drooling instead of buying.)

If anything I'd think it would make american products seem more attractive to the foreign consumer, thereby increasing foreign sales.

Indeed. I'm from the Netherlands. Right now, the dollar/euro ratio is such, that a 600 dollar sword, would cost me about 400 euros. However, shipping and taxes can raise that 400 euro to a nice 600 euro, depending a how much you pay for shipping.

At any rate, back to topic.... The Shrewsburry looks like a very nice sword. I've always been very hesitant when it comes to Windlass products, however, judging from what I hear lately, their quality seems to have increased.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Sorry, but I don't understand your logic

I was thinking in terms of shipping costs. If it now costs X amount to ship to, say, Germany, isn't the weakening Dollar going to mean increasing overseas shipping costs? Maybe I'm totally off here. WTF?! Laughing Out Loud

P.S. Now that I give it more thought, I guess that even if this were true, it would still be the buyer paying for shipping, so it would still be fairly cheap for them. Thanks for raining on my parade, Grisetti! Laughing Out Loud I mean, geez, if you guys are gonna start bringing logic and reason into the equation, it puts me at a distinct disadvantage! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

This whole thing made me think of a perfect signature for my posts. What do you guys think of this:

"If my sword were as sharp as my wits, it would be a sparring blunt." Laughing Out Loud
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
...If anything I'd think it would make american products seem more attractive to the foreign consumer, thereby increasing foreign sales.

Sorry - I babbled on a bit at 4am. Patrick's statement is exactly what I meant.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
...Thanks for raining on my parade, Grisetti! Laughing Out Loud I mean, geez, if you guys are gonna start bringing logic and reason into the equation, it puts me at a distinct disadvantage! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Good point! If we all we thinking logically, we probably would not be so absorbed (?obsessed?) by this hobby.

G. Scott H. wrote:
This whole thing made me think of a perfect signature for my posts. What do you guys think of this:

"If my sword were as sharp as my wits, it would be a sparring blunt." Laughing Out Loud

I like it, though I would not want to suggest it is true! I enjoy that sort of self-deprecating humor, since it helps to remind us to not take ourselves too seriously.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 05 May, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
G. Scott H. wrote:
...Thanks for raining on my parade, Grisetti! Laughing Out Loud I mean, geez, if you guys are gonna start bringing logic and reason into the equation, it puts me at a distinct disadvantage! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Good point! If we all we thinking logically, we probably would not be so absorbed (?obsessed?) by this hobby.

G. Scott H. wrote:

I like it, though I would not want to suggest it is true! I enjoy that sort of self-deprecating humor, since it helps to remind us to not take ourselves too seriously.

Exactly my thoughts. Happy At the time I wrote that, I had this vague idea about prohibitive overseas shipping costs, without really giving it much thought. It sounded like a good theory at the time Eek! . I do see the point the other guys were making about the falling Dollar increasing foreign sales, and see the error of my half-baked theory. Let's put this unfortunate event behind us. Laughing Out Loud I'm glad you took my last post in the manner it was intended (good-natured, self-deprecating humor). I may actually use that signature quote. The more I look at it, the more I like it. Happy
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H wrote:
...I'm glad you took my last post in the manner it was intended (good-natured, self-deprecating humor). I may actually use that signature quote. The more I look at it, the more I like it. Happy

Hurry up, before I steal it Laughing Out Loud
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sat 07 May, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
G. Scott H wrote:
...I'm glad you took my last post in the manner it was intended (good-natured, self-deprecating humor). I may actually use that signature quote. The more I look at it, the more I like it. Happy

Hurry up, before I steal it Laughing Out Loud

Done! Laughing Out Loud Happy
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
...Done! Laughing Out Loud Happy

Looks great!!
Dominic Dellavalle

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After a long day Saturday of running errands I returned home to find a good sized box propped up inside my door. After finding the packing label I was quite happy to see it was my Shrewsbury and not another package from QVC for my wife Happy

I am quite happy with it and have to say I feel I got at a minimum what I paid for and most likely more.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dominic Dellavalle wrote:
After a long day Saturday of running errands I returned home to find a good sized box propped up inside my door. After finding the packing label I was quite happy to see it was my Shrewsbury and not another package from QVC for my wife Happy

I am quite happy with it and have to say I feel I got at a minimum what I paid for and most likely more.
Cool! Cool I think you'll really like your new Shrews. Mine has sort of grown on me. I actually like it more now than when I first got it. I was looking for a long slender cut-and-thrust type sword, and when I saw the Shrews' price, I thought, "What the heck? How bad can it be?" It actually turned out to be quite nice. I like the style of it so much, in fact, that I'm now looking at the Atrim 1501 at Christian Fletcher's site. It is very similar in appearance to the Shrews, albeit four times as expensive. Eek! Laughing Out Loud Have fun. Happy

AT-1501:

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > WS Shrewsbury Sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: