Marks found on 3 swords from the arsenal of Alexandria
With the contribution of the community of medieval sword enthusiasts and collectors I hope to provide an answer to an issues I raised long time ago and which remained unanswered
concerning a particular maker’s marks: a double ‘P’ co-joined with a cross,
This marking is known on 3 swords* probably of Italian manufacture coming from the arsenal of Alexandria and all belonging to the oakeshott's type XVIIIc which are with a very broad and tapering blade of flat diamond cross-section.
I also know a sword of the same type with a shortened blade but without any Arabic inscription.( fig b)
I would like to appeal to everyone's knowledge to determine if other swords bearing this marking are known.
* The sword AL.40 from the Leeds Castle Foundation
* sword sold by Christie’s in 2018 LOT111” A NORTH ITALIAN MEDIEVAL BROADSWORD FROM THE MAMLUK ARSENAL IN ALEXANDRIA fig a
* the last one ( see Clive Thomas “ A distinctive group of swords from the arsenal of Alexandria” P 37 Fig 6 sword A
Also I looking for good pictures of the the sword AL.40 from the Leeds Castle Foundation

Attachment: 196.28 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 56.23 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 603.13 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 603.13 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 97.14 KB
[ Download ]
Re: Marks found on 3 swords from the arsenal of Alexandria
Cerjak JL wrote:
With the contribution of the community of medieval sword enthusiasts and collectors I hope to provide an answer to an issues I raised long time ago and which remained unanswered
concerning a particular maker’s marks: a double ‘P’ co-joined with a cross,
This marking is known on 3 swords* probably of Italian manufacture coming from the arsenal of Alexandria and all belonging to the oakeshott's type XVIIIc which are with a very broad and tapering blade of flat diamond cross-section.
I also know a sword of the same type with a shortened blade but without any Arabic inscription.( fig b)
I would like to appeal to everyone's knowledge to determine if other swords bearing this marking are known.
* The sword AL.40 from the Leeds Castle Foundation
* sword sold by Christie’s in 2018 LOT111” A NORTH ITALIAN MEDIEVAL BROADSWORD FROM THE MAMLUK ARSENAL IN ALEXANDRIA fig a
* the last one ( see Clive Thomas “ A distinctive group of swords from the arsenal of Alexandria” P 37 Fig 6 sword A
Also I looking for good pictures of the the sword AL.40 from the Leeds Castle Foundation

Attachment: 244.73 KB
“ A distinctive group of swords from the arsenal of Alexandria [ Download ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: