Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wallace A466 - hilting (yet another) moat bladeDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Wallace A466 - hilting (yet another) moat blade         Reply with quote

Hi all, new covid project, and a long way to go.
I am not to be credited for much here so far, as the wood core was given to me - was made for another albion Type XVIII but the tip broke and was then a good fit for my regrinded moat blade. It's amazing work as the carving fits the hollow ground profile all the way through - I've long moved to wet formed plywood for scabbard core but recall the pain of carving poplar core so I appreciate the work and technique displayed on this one (thx again Mathieu!).

The 3D modeling of the guard and pommel was done by my fellow forumer and friend Lazlo Antal - I've just printed (rather badly I might add) the whole thing on my FDM printer to see where I was going with this much shorter blade.

I had access to this sword and documented it at the wallace a few years back, it's one of my all time favorite like the A479 - and according to curator T. Capwell it turns out it's yet another composite (just like the A479). Seems there is a pattern here but it does give me licence to do what I want and pick whatever blade I fancy. I'm happy to turn this to a shorter arming sword - it will imply some modifications to the pommel though (will make it less thick and save weight that way while retaining the shape and size seen from the front).

From there I'm planning to cast the hilt in bronze (turns out I find there is a guy in Texas near my place who does bronze sword casting!). I've heard some use printable PLA to do lost wax (lost PLA in this case) - that would be an interesting option. otherwise I can mold this and cast in wax, or print again in wax filament.

Anyway, here is the WIP below - let me know what you think!

Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks very promising.

Only thing I'd personally add is that I have a serious fetish for short handles, so I'd probably reduce the length of the wooden handle a good bit so that it feels exactly right while having part of the hand on the pommel. On the other hand, I think the proportions you're showing here also match up with extant originals so yeah, I think it'll be a magnificent project either way.
Chris Dayton

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neat project! Who's doing the bronze work you mention? I've had a few bronze ideas in mind and would prefer to support someone local in having them produced. I'm in Austin as well.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks fantastic! I look forward to seeing the castings.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johannes Zenker wrote:
I'd probably reduce the length of the wooden handle a good bit so that it feels exactly right while having part of the hand on the pommel. On the other hand, I think the proportions you're showing here also match up with extant originals so yeah, I think it'll be a magnificent project either way.

Thx and good point Johannes - this grip is sized according to the original which has a much longer blade - makes sense to shorten it to fit a smaller blade. I'm planning to do a black horn grip on this one to match the original so consider this to be a placeholder Happy

@Chris - I've reached out to this great guy who teaches bronze sword making to kids around the Austin area.
https://www.facebook.com/swordcastingguy/
He's not doing custom work as far as I know of - my hope is that I can do the work with him and learn how to sandcast - but with covid I have not been in touch for 6 month so hopefully he'll still be up for it.

@Sean - thx! anything on the workbench on your end these days?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Wallace A466 - hilting (yet another) moat bladeDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic