Proper Distal Taper for a Wooden Sword
My 6yo came to me and asked "can we build a wooden sword". Of course my answer was absolutely! We set to work looking at types that we could recreate and settled on a type XV style sword. Then we went on to drawing plans and selecting our wood. We chose solid wrought ironwood for the pommel, hand forged hickory for the guard, and high carbon hard maple for the blade. He was there ever step of the way during many evenings spent cutting filing and sanding as we slowly carved out rectangular tapered holes in the pommel and cross to tightly fit the tang and defined the forms of each part. The favorite step for him was dyeing the leather and tightly wrapping cord around the grip as we glued it in place, but I think it may have been the excitement setting in as the sword was nearing completion. He is pretty proud of the result and is now happy to tell anyone about the proper distal taper for a wooden sword. I thought that some of you on here may like to see what we made too. I didn't take many built pics, but here are a few, and some of the end result in the next post.

Attachment: 65.41 KB
IMG_3835.jpg

Attachment: 60.15 KB
IMG_3837.jpg

Attachment: 84.43 KB
IMG_3838.jpg

Attachment: 101.8 KB
IMG_3839.jpg

Attachment: 102.02 KB
IMG_3857.jpg

Attachment: 126.62 KB
IMG_3860.jpg

Last edited by Tyler C. on Fri 14 Aug, 2020 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
The finished sword:

Attachment: 130.4 KB
IMG_3861.jpg

Attachment: 99.79 KB
IMG_3862.jpg

Attachment: 103.31 KB
IMG_3863.jpg

Attachment: 109.87 KB
IMG_3866.jpg

Attachment: 112.35 KB
IMG_3867.jpg

Awesome work Tyler! :cool:
Skills! that looks really nice.
That is awesome! I just showed my 8 year old daughter and her response was, "can we make me that?"... Um... Yeah!!!!!!
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I'm glad that a few forumites got a kick out of this. We sure had fun making it. I wonder what we should make next...
Tyler C. wrote:
I wonder what we should make next...

A set of blunt wooden sword for sparring of course!
My Grandpa did this for me when I was a kid. He was the best. I wish I still had my wooden sword! I chopped a lot of milk-weeds down with it.
Wow. When it comes to wooden swords, you're like the Albion Swords to my Windlass Steelcrafts! :D

[ Linked Image ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: