Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My New World Arbalest crossbow is here!!! Yippieeeee Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Mercier

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: My New World Arbalest crossbow is here!!! Yippieeeee         Reply with quote

t finally came!!!
I was like a kid on Christmas when I got in the driveway and saw the package leaning against the house. I got my New World Arbalest crossbow in the mail a couple days ago. I was floored by the quality and I thought I would share it with everyone.
I will be figuring out its distance and other specs at a later time, but I can sure tell you it will put a bolt through 18 gauge steel at 20 feet with ease.

I was happy with the rush job he put on it since I have a faire to attend shortly, but I wasn't really happy with the lack of responses to emails I sent. I know he has multiple addresses so I was confused as to which to write him at. David is a great guy (who I am sure is very busy) and he puts out an amazing product. If you can afford it I recommend getting one of his bows!

I got the "western bow" #2C with the steel prod upgrade which puts the draw at about 125lbs. If you can afford it, and you want a little more authenticity, I recommend getting the horn nut. The model I have comes with a carved plastic one which is bright white, and it kinda detracts from the overall look.

Mike

Attachment: 93.42 KB
[ Download ]
Michael Mercier

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

another picture

Attachment: 81.34 KB
crossbow2.jpg

Michael Mercier

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the aftermath of the target

Attachment: 38.55 KB
bolt.jpg
the bolt through the 18 gauge steel
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael;

Congratulations nice looking crossbow.

At 125 # of draw weight I guess its still possible to draw it by hand but do you use a belt hook like was done historically ?
Would that be good option for you if you don't ?

I don't know if you know this but I wonder what was the typical draw weights of various types of crossbows: The maximum draw weight that is practical depending on method.

1) Using hands only.
2) Using a belt hook
3) Using a Cranequin
4) Using a pully system ( Maximum power siege crossbows. )

So I guess I wonder what was the relative power of different kind of crossbows historically ?

Does anybody make the heavier types in using rather than just display quality. I have seen large seige style crossbows offered for sale that have only very modest draw weights or pure display " non functional ' pieces.

The power of this 125 # draw weight does seem very impressive. I imagine that with a very large draw weight power would come more from heavier bolts at only a small increase of velocity rather than the same weight bolts at a much greater velocity: The bolt can't move faster than the speed of the string being pulled by the bow, and a heavier bow won't move the string much faster but will not be slowed down by a much heavier bolt: So, I'm guessing that there must be some mathematical formula dealing with draw weight versus bolt weight giving the most energy being transmited to the bolt.

Anyway don't want to Highjack your post but I was mulling over starting a topic asking these questions.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something that's on my someday list.

I can see what you mean about the plastic nut, but its still pretty cool.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can attach multiple photos to a single post. You don't need to make new posts like you do with other forum software.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice looking crossbow. I hadn't thought much about those, before. Might be fun to get and use.
Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike, That is a nice looking crossbow, I have been debating with myself as to wether one of the Central European Bows with 170lbs draw and horn nut would be more fun than the Vazul with 110lbs draw shown at www.horsebows.com Happy Let us know how it shoots.
Jean, The other method of drawing a crossbow is by goats-foot lever, I am not sure as to the draw weights possible with each method of spanning but I do know that winch or cranquin drawn bows could break the 1200lbs mark. Take a look at the cossbows shown here, they are absolutely gorgeous www.period-crossbows.demon.co.uk

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My New World Arbalest crossbow is here!!! Yippieeeee
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic