Community Notice: Michael Callaghan, Scam Facebook Sales
Hello all,

I just wanted to let everyone know in case anyone else runs into him. There is a chap selling swords on Facebook in the 'International Antique Sword Collectors' Group, going by the name: Michael Callaghan. He is selling mostly 18th/early 19th Century French swords/sabres.

The guy is a scam artist. I transferred him several thousand pounds for a sword at his asking price, and he took the money and never attempted to deliver the sword. I have had to speak to the police, and bank fraud teams, solicitors.. it has been a massive headache.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up, before other people wind up in the same situation. I know other forum members here have bought swords from him, and he has delivered some.. but he seems to be listing a lot of swords, and stealing money, or using people as free pawn agents taking money and returning it weeks later. He has also been posting on seemingly authentic swords for sale that the swords are 'fake' so buyers get scared off --then messaging the posters/auction houses selling the swords and trying to buy the swords himself at reduced rates.

Just a heads up, as he is listing some very nice stuff at attractive prices. I dont want others to get lured in like I was!

All the best,
Hadrian
Yikes. Thanks for the head's up. I'll do my best to see if he is/or become active here. I hope others can keep an eye out, too. This type of thing has been one of my biggest fears for this site. I've worked super hard behind the scenes to keep people safe from such things. It goes unnoticed if I'm doing my job correctly, and that's fine, but has caused a fair amount of anxiety over the years. There's a lot of crappy people out there.
Re: Community Notice: Michael Callaghan, Scam Facebook Sales
Hadrian Coffin wrote:
He has also been posting on seemingly authentic swords for sale that the swords are 'fake' so buyers get scared off --then messaging the posters/auction houses selling the swords and trying to buy the swords himself at reduced rates.

Wow that is really low.

One thing I like about social media is we can band together to interrupt the actions of unsavory individuals. Thanks for sharing your story to help the rest of us.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: