Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Robert of Avesbury chronicle recommendation Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
D. Ryan

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jul, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Robert of Avesbury chronicle recommendation         Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to posting but longtime lurker - what a wealth of information being passed around. I could have asked this a number of places online but thought here might be more fruitful. In terms of Medieval chronicles, I have The True Chronicles of Jean le Bel, Froissart's Chronicles (in a handy "take this with a grain of salt" edition), and Continuatio Eulogii: The Continuation of the Eulogium Historiarum, 1364-1413 (thankfully recently translated into English). I'd be interested to find Robert of Avesbury's chronicle, Historia de Mirabilibus Gestis Edwardi III also called The Wonderful Deeds of Edward the Third. It's been praised for its authenticity and reliability. It concerns itself mostly with martial affairs and occasionally touches on other events.

Does anyone know where I can find Robert of Avesbury's chronicle, translated in its entirety into English? Any format is fine, including buying a hard copy.

No, I can't read Latin. I've seen a copy that's in Latin with English footnotes, pointing out events, which is unhelpful since the body of the text is still untranslated. I've even tracked down a 1720 edition which is likewise in Latin. Copying the text into an online Latin translator would likely just produce word salad.

Robert of Avesbury's description of the Black Death and Flagellants is often reproduced online, but so far that's the only translated bit I've seen.

I'm hoping it's out there and just eluded me. I appreciate any help.
John Kinsey

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jul, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In addition to the sections on the Black Death and the flagellants available online, there are two very small excerpts translated in The Wars of Edward III: Sources and Interpretations by Dr. Cliff Rogers, one of which is also available online at: https://deremilitari.org/2013/03/edward-iiis-letter-detailing-his-campaign-in-france-1339/ — but that’s all that I am aware of.
D. Ryan

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jul, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks for the link. It seems translations of sections crop up but not a full translation.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Robert of Avesbury chronicle recommendation
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic