Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Removing stock from an assembled sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chip F.

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Removing stock from an assembled sword         Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I have a question here for anyone who knows about bladesmithing: about a year ago I received a long awaited custom sword that I commissioned from a reputable smith. After spending some time with the blade, I really feel that there are elements of its construction that aren’t quite practical. The biggest of these is that it’s simply too forward-heavy. The smith decided to make a very thick blade, and though there is a distal taper, it isn’t pronounced enough to make the sword easy to wield in one hand.

My question is - is it feasible that an experienced smith would be able to grind stock off the blade to improve the balance without serious risk to the sword? The sword is fully constructed with a peened pommel, so disassembly is not an option.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Alan Schiff
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Increasing the distal taper is definitely doable without removing the hilt, I've done so for a couple of customers. Though usually it's not difficult to remove the hilt, even if peened, and then re-peen it afterward. The times I've had to grind with the hilt intact were when some anomaly in the hilt construction made it impossible to remove.

Hope that helps,
Alan
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The answer to your question is 'yes', it is not that difficult at all. I am doing that very thing right now with an $80 Deepeeka shashka, knocking it down from 900g to 700-800g.

I've been using a 1x30 belt sander with a 40 grit zirconia belt . It removes material slowly enough to prevent mistakes but quickly enough to prevent exhaustion, I just have to remember to cool the blade in water regularly. It has taken about 2 hours to remove ~90g.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Removing stock from an assembled sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic