Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Best longsword for under 350$ ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Markus Fischer

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: Best longsword for under 350$ ?         Reply with quote

I am looking for an affordable longsword, but I dont want to break the bank....
What is the best longsword you know for under 350$?
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Need more information on what exactly you're looking for.

Blunt or sharp?
Type?
Size?
Time period?
Intended usage?
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You dont say if you are looking for a sharp (cutting) or blunt (training) longsword? It may help people with opinions.. as these are different skillsets some of the best blunt makers aren't the best sharp makers and vice-versa.

In either case, given that you are based in Germany (and shipping from USA to EU is a nightmare these days), I would strongly recommend Pavel Moc. Their swords are great! I have more experience with their blunt longswords, as I own one, but I have handled some of their sharps and they seem quite good as well. I own an albion blunt trainer as well, and kinda prefer the Pavel Moc trainer, which is saying something.

Their prices for a longsword are about €290-320 depending on the model, so there should be something in your price range.

Here is their website: http://www.swords.cz/index.html
I cannot attach the price list, but it is on their website.

Cheers,
Z
Markus Fischer

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi
I am looking for a sharp longsword for cutting practice. Time periode I don't really care about, but it shouldn't be too narrow, as a narrow blade is less effective in the cut.
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Zach mentioned, Pavel Moc is not the worst suggestion. I haven't handled a sharp Moc, but I've heard good things.

There are other options as well.

Regenyei makes serviceable sharps, but international shipping for longswords in the EU isn't all that cheap. https://regenyei.com/swords/longswords/

I would recommend Landsknecht Emporium and their Albrecht ( https://landsknechtemporium.com/products/standard/swords/albrecht-xviiib-sharp-longsword ), but that's slightly above your price idea, as I'd expect around 50€ of shipping on top.

You could also go for Hanwei/Tinker offerings. Especially the GSOW should fit with your ideas. https://www.battlemerchant.com/Schwerter/Scharfe-Schwerter/Tinker-Grosses-Kriegsschwert::4252.html

There's probably another shop in Germany or at least Europe that has it in stock.

You could also go for a Berbekucz, which is pretty much the very budget end, but should still do okay. https://www.trainingsschwerter.de/haendlerpreise/berbekucz/2482/hema-langschwert-viktor-berbekucz-scharf

At this price point I would generally also expect that you'll want to improve the edge of whichever sword you get.
Markus Fischer

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I had a look at Pavel Mocs website, but I couldnt find any specific pruduct descriptions....only a price list. Did I miss something?
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Markus Fischer wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I had a look at Pavel Mocs website, but I couldnt find any specific pruduct descriptions....only a price list. Did I miss something?

Not really, his website is not very informative. Czech smiths, to my experience, are rather communicative, though, so you shouldn't have problems getting information from him.

The specifications stated in the price list are most likely for the blunt versions of his swords, as he is best known as a supplier for reenactors and HEMAists.

His standard offerings won't have a lot of distal taper, which limits how lively they will feel, but for the prices he's asking that's more than fair.
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like the above said I would suggest Regenyei as well. Hanwei and Windlass are a decent choice but for the money they are asking now you might want to look else where.
Markus Fischer

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a look at all those options and I think that Regenyei is th best out of those (also the least affordable one though).
Unfortunately it seems like the sword from the Landsknecht Emporium isnt available currently.
I actually did a lot of research myself and I found the Ronin Longsword #2 quite nice (even posted it as "wanted" at the marketplace) it seems to have an amazing value for money relation.....do you have any experience with it?
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stats wise I'd go with this model instead if you want Ronin

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...+Longsword

I've only handled their Euro two handed saber, that thing is a monster for it's value, not sure about their longsword.
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there a shop inside the EU that sells Ronin Katana swords? Otherwise the price, while still fair and potentially within your margin, will be a lot higher due to tax, import fees and shipping.

If there is one (please tell me!), they sound like amazing value. Matthew Jensen has reviewed and deliberately destroyed quite a few RK pieces on his YT channel. They seem to hold up surprisingly well for the price and apparently handle and perform well enough.
Markus Fischer

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1st
Unfortunately there is no shop in Europe....and shipping is 100$. Therefore they are not very accessible. That's also the reason why I am looking for a used one at the market place...

2nd
All of their longswords are very nice, but from my first impression the Euro 2 Model seemed to be the best suited one for me.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Best longsword for under 350$ ?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic