Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Davis' Reproductions aunlaz dagger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Davis' Reproductions aunlaz dagger         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I was so happy with the quillon dagger I recently had made by Josh Davis https://davisreproductions.com I decided to have an aunlaz or "antenna" dagger made. Josh is great to work with and demonstrates some of the best customer service in the industry in my opinion.

I would date this dagger pretty broadly to the 12th. C.-13th. C. I believe it was a pretty common and long lived form.

I'm really pleased with it. The handling and fit and finish are great. As you can see in the pictures below this piece certainly shows some imperfections and "character" which, I think, add to the sense of historic authenticity. The iron used in the hilt "antennas" is especially nice. The sheath is well done and the floral decorations are simple and congruent with the whole piece I believe.

It's a great addition to my collection.

Here it is next to the quillon dagger also made by Josh Davis. I feel these are roughly contemporary in dating.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful piece! Congratulations!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are two very nice daggers! Congratulations on both of them.
Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another nice piece by Josh! Is it based off any particular surviving example’s specs? I know there are a handful that survive and that the production repros on the market vary in sizing a decent amount.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jun, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Another nice piece by Josh! Is it based off any particular surviving example’s specs? I know there are a handful that survive and that the production repros on the market vary in sizing a decent amount.

I'm not really sure. I don't believe there are any extant 12th-13th. C. examples around. I know Josh used images of a 14th. C. example in formulating the peen shape and in deciding to include the brass inserts (both examples we know of had traces of non-ferrous metal in the finials).

There are some nice looking production versions out there but for whatever reason I wanted a custom. Really didn't cost much more than a production model either.

This dagger really feels quite different than the quillon made by him. The aunlaz has less material in the hilt so doesn't feel as centered in the hand. The grip is also ever slightly longer which changes the handling quite a bit.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Davis' Reproductions aunlaz dagger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic