Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Almuñecar castle brigandine plate (Granada, Spain) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Iagoba Ferreira

PostPosted: Sat 02 May, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject: Almuñecar castle brigandine plate (Granada, Spain)         Reply with quote

Looking for something completely different, I found this pic:

http://www.redjaen.es/francis/?m=c&o=9643...p;id=96438

Which looks like this piece from Chalcis,now in the MET, but turned sideways. I would like to hear if you agree!

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/34351

It seems to have some decorative rivets in a circle, which none of the MET pieces have. If it dates from the early XVth century, it was dumped when it was a century old into a 7 meter high conical well that was used as dungeon (a shackled skeleton was found there too Eek! )
Paul Lima

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Found something similar.         Reply with quote

The File below shows a very similar Brigandine, that was made up of multiple plates. I had found the image a Arms and Armour Forum a while back.

Attachment: 106.44 KB
[ Download ]

History is written by the Victors
- Winston Churchill
Anthony Clipsom

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Found something similar.         Reply with quote

Paul Lima wrote:
The File below shows a very similar Brigandine, that was made up of multiple plates. I had found the image a Arms and Armour Forum a while back.

I think we might debate whether that is a brigandine or corrazina. Which does raise the question of whether this piece is from a brigandine or a corazzina. Shape wise, it would certainly match being one of a pair of chest plates from the latter.

Anthony Clipsom
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It could be a lung plate from the front of a brig or a piece from the back of a corrazina.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Iagoba,

The Chalcis plate in the Met has measurements, but I don't see much indication of scale for the piece in the Castillo de San Miguel. Do you have any idea of its size?

At first glance, it looks larger to me than the Chalcis plate does. If I had to guess, I might speculate that it's about one-third bigger. I also think that the similarity of shape is more superficial than it at first might seem.

Best,

Mark Millman
Paul Lima

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Found something similar.         Reply with quote

Anthony Clipsom wrote:
Paul Lima wrote:

I think we might debate whether that is a brigandine or corrazina. Which does raise the question of whether this piece is from a brigandine or a corazzina. Shape wise, it would certainly match being one of a pair of chest plates from the latter.

Ultimately difficult to say as front is not shown, though it’s possible that there is full breastplate at the front instead of half a breastplate like with the Chalcis pieces, due to the fact that there are straps on the shoulders instead of the shoulders having plates integrated with the piece.

History is written by the Victors
- Winston Churchill
Iagoba Ferreira

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Millman wrote:
Dear Iagoba,

The Chalcis plate in the Met has measurements, but I don't see much indication of scale for the piece in the Castillo de San Miguel. Do you have any idea of its size?

At first glance, it looks larger to me than the Chalcis plate does. If I had to guess, I might speculate that it's about one-third bigger. I also think that the similarity of shape is more superficial than it at first might seem.

Best,

Mark Millman

I wrote them regarding that, but who knows when I will have answer to that Cry

That big pieces would be better understood over some sewing mannequin and some cm scale, even those MET pieces (which have plenty of photos and data).

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Almuñecar castle brigandine plate (Granada, Spain)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic