Go to page 1, 2  Next

Favorite item from your collection
Hi everyone,

I thought a thread on folk's favorite item from their collection might be fun

Here is mine!

[ Linked Image ]

And here is the review here on the site`. . .

http://myArmoury.com/review_tod_inlayseax.html

It's not the most expensive item in my collection but I just love everything about it. I love the handling, the aggressive angle of the blade when gripped, the inlay, the sheath- everything is spot on.

Thanks so much to Leo Todeschini and Owen Bush for making it for me.

Anyone else want to share?
Jeremy,
This is a tough one. :) I could go lots of different ways. I'd probably go with my Davis Reproductions Notation Knife:

[ Linked Image ]

I'm a professional musician with an interest in early music. That's a couple layers of nerd-dom right there. :) Add in being an arms and armor junkie and that's just super nerdy.... This piece combines all those things. It's not military and it's outside the typical period I collect, but it's such an interesting piece.

There's also something cool about knowing I'm likely the first person since a 16th century Italian nobleman to get something like this brand-new. :)
I'm split between two. I carry a tiny patch knife with a Pakistani-made blade which is... sufficient for most light-duty jobs, so that's what I get the most work out of. It's the upper one in this picture:
[ Linked Image ]

But when I need to do more serious woodcarving, I'm reminded that the Finnish Lauri blade is WAY sharper.
[ Linked Image ]

My collection of swords and daggers is still mostly theoretical.
It is hard to choose a favorite, but my Peter Johnsson sword edges out the rest. Everything about it is perfect. There's a reason Peter has the reputation he has!

Attachment: 91.61 KB
DSC06943.jpg

My Skeggox
This is my fave Piece. Was super lucky to score this original.[/b]

Attachment: 63.61 KB
PhotoEditor_20200614_100316639_resized_500x750_pixels_resized_1000x1500_pixels_resized_160x240_pixels.jpg

Of all my swords, this is my favorite -- "The Mermaid's Song", a Scottish-style Basket-hilt broadsword or "Claidheamh Mor" with S-member side guard, or "S-hilt", of Mazansky type E6a, dated approx. 1740's. Made by Vince Evans. This sword is a true custom, made to my specifications (actually, it's based on a couple original pieces illustrated in the book Culloden: The Swords and the Sorrows).

Attachment: 12.74 KB
S Hilt.jpg

Attachment: 14.96 KB
S Hilt 2.jpg

Man, is it hard to pick favorites. I've sold so many pieces that I absolutely loved and really wish I had kept.

I think at the end of the day with all those pieces included along with the ones I still own, this is the one that still sits at the top of my list. Thankfully, it's still in my collection. It's not the most dramatic or the most unusual piece I've ever owned but there's something about it that really keeps calling me back. I think that's a good reason to list it as a favorite.

E.B. Erickson Landsknecht Sword

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]

Eljay's stuff is just so nice. I've always been jealous of those items in your collection. :)
My favorite item
My lutel-handicraft XIIIa. I wouldn't trade it for any Albion or Rob Miller sword...

[ Linked Image ]
This is Sexy. I think she's the second sword that I made from scratch, and even though she's just ground out of scrap steel, I'm pretty pleased with how she turned out. She's a Greek Naue II style copied from a drawing of a very nicely preserved original, early 6th century BC.

[ Linked Image ]

Matthew

Attachment: 47.43 KB
[ Download ]
While I enjoy a number of favorites, the one I return to time and again is a rather plain spadroon from the late 18th century.

Cheers
GC

Attachment: 72.25 KB
problqe.jpg

Attachment: 10.04 KB
spd20.JPG

Without a doubt my reproduction of a circa 1530 langes messer by Landsknecht Emporium. Accurate to the original on which it is based to within a few grams.

[ Linked Image ]
My current favorite is the Valiant Armory Castillon Falchion (photo by Valiant Armory)

Attachment: 99.55 KB
falchion1s.jpg

Gorgeous pieces y'all are posting.

Mr. Cleeton, that black-handled spadroon is my favorite of all the spadroons you've shown. I like older stuff so my overall favorite of yours is the Wundes one, but this is close for me.

I can't just do one; have to do a twofer. This pair will never be split up again. C. 1600 Continental basket hilt and E.B. Erickson's unique recreation of it on an Angus Trim blade, featured at myArmoury here: https://myArmoury.com/swor_ebe_contbh.html.

Thanks all.

Chris

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Attachment: 45.61 KB
[ Download ]

Last edited by Chris Dayton on Mon 13 Jul, 2020 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
My current favorite is my Vince Evans 15th cen kilij

Attachment: 24.12 KB
FB_IMG_1586045444795.jpg

Attachment: 23.23 KB
FB_IMG_1586045467182.jpg

Attachment: 17.98 KB
FB_IMG_1586045470265.jpg

Attachment: 43.47 KB
FB_IMG_1586045447945.jpg

Chris Dayton wrote:

Mr. Cleeton, that black-handled spadroon is my favorite of all the spadroons you've shown. I like older stuff so my overall favorite of yours is the Wundes one, but this is close for me.

I can't just do one; have to do a twofer. This pair will never be split up again. C. 1600 Continental basket hilt and E.B. Erickson's unique recreation of it on an Angus Trim blade, featured at myArmoury here: https://myArmoury.com/swor_ebe_contbh.html.

Thanks all.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Your pair is hard to beat. I'm assuming the Wundes of mine you mention is the felddegen and not the later sabre. Both are dear to me and I love them both as well. The ebony grip shown is my magic spadroon.

Cheers
GC
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Chris Dayton wrote:

Thanks all.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Your pair is hard to beat. I'm assuming the Wundes of mine you mention is the felddegen and not the later sabre. Both are dear to me and I love them both as well. The ebony grip shown is my magic spadroon.

Cheers
GC

Indeed, the felddegen!
Roger Hooper wrote:
My current favorite is the Valiant Armory Castillon Falchion (photo by Valiant Armory)

Roger,
That’s really nice. You’ve owned stuff by better known production companies. How does this compare?
Chad Arnow wrote:

Roger,
That’s really nice. You’ve owned stuff by better known production companies. How does this compare?

This falchion is Valiant's latest effort. They put a lot of work into it. They closely followed the specs of the original Castillon sword provided by Clive Thomas.The result is a great piece as good as any Albion or ATrim. I haven't cut with it, but I bet it does that just fine.

https://www.valiant-armoury.com/products/va-605-craftsman-series-the-castillon-falchion

Attachment: 321.97 KB
[ Download ]
I just wanted to add that the said valiant armory falchion is actually available on kult of athena now, no picture on their site but it's displayed as in stock. Just in case if anyone wants to buy it.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...n+Falchion
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: