Does anyone know who made these swords?
Hello,

I was trolling through an antique dealer's website the other night, and he has a category of 'Handmade swords'; I clicked out of curiosity expecting one of the various common makers we see --and was massively surprised by what (appear to me) to be some of the most visually stunning and accurate looking reproduction swords. They have the same 'perfect imperfections' you find on originals, while still clearly the work of a very skilled maker. I was taken aback, and wondering what other work he might have done, if anyone knew the maker by sight?

https://www.garthvincent.com/hand-made-swords/

I was particularly taken with this one:
https://www.garthvincent.com/a-handmade-sword--/
The almost careless organisation of the crosshatch pattern on the disk, with the very elegant and controlled lines of the guard.. it looks like every original we see, and the exact kind of thing you dont see much on the reproduction market these days.

Thanks
Z
I believe they were made by a European gentleman named Derrick Roome. He has made some absolutely stellar examples of this type of 16th century Germanic stuff in the past and this looks like his work. I am glad to see it being sold appropriately credited as modern-made. Many other sellers would simply list these as originals with made up provinance. The swords look fantastic and they're appropriately priced. I wish I could afford one of them.

Attachment: 174.27 KB
sw01.png

Attachment: 225.41 KB
sw02.png

Attachment: 234.63 KB
sw03.png

Attachment: 233.49 KB
sw04.png

Lovely, lovely swords with proportions and details matching originals. So very nice!!
Swoon! Those are exquisite.
-Adair
The accuracy on those is something else, they really look like they were made in period. I am blown away!
-Hadrian

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: