myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > DONATION DRIVE 2020 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are many " selfish reasons " as well as generous reasons to support the site.

A) You often visit the site for information and entertainment.

B) You ask questions about something you don't know and get useful replies from knowledgeable people.

C) You want to sell one piece of your collection and you have here a market of likely interested potential buyers, that might be a lot harder to find on random sites or buy/sell platforms.

D) You are looking for a second hand piece at a lower price than a new piece, or something unique or not longer in production that a collector here might be willing to sell.

E) You are an " INDUSTRY PROFESSIONAL " who can show their products here, get valuable feedback, promote your site for free, and often have gotten business because you became known here ......

Yes " INDUSTRY PROFESSIONAL " should be supporting the continued existence of this site as it's basically free marketing for them with a captive audience of the most likely people to become a buyer sooner or later !

So the Donation Goal is really the minimum amount needed to keep it going this year, but it should be exceeded to keep it going for the long term, and if Nathan can find a way to monetize the site, or it even becomes regular income he would have the means to modernize the site and add features and content.

F) " myArmoury " is a valuable archive of great knowledge and a friendly Troll-Free place where many of us have made friends and learned a great deal over many years, and for new members/readers a place where many of their questions have already been answered that can be found using the search function as well as asking their own questions.

G) Probably other reasons to make a donation that I haven't thought of !

Oh, and this year is " CRITICAL " because it's not just making a donation to support the site, and not have Nathan again pay for the minimal operational out of " HIS POCKET " costs. This is a prevent the site from " Vanishing " and no longer be there for you if you get anything out of it !

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pretty much perfect analysis, Jean.

Its a resource we use/enjoy. Makers actually economically benefit from it. We are not donating, which suggests a sense of bounty or charity economically, we are paying for what we use, and actually not even doing that but simply reimbursing Nathan for his costs but not his time.

Lets all reflect on the value we receive and give something. $10 dollars a year from those with less ? $100 a year from those with more ? This is not the best site in my opinion, its the only site worth visiting in my view. If it goes away, that's a massive blow to our mutual interest.

It's less than an everyday cost you might not think about. It's a couple of beers, a pack of smokes, a couple of packs of something else for the younger and more lustful members of the community. For those more established, look around at what's on your walls, as I did, and think of the cost/value and how much less pleasure you would have from those items if you had not had the myArmoury community to discuss it with.

Simple answer I think.

Daniel
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 May, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I check this site nearly every day. Always something worth reading and sometimes I add my two cents to the discussion. But since two cents is just not enough in this case, I added a bit more.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 01 May, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So I did a little math, so is " myArmoury " worth to you 5 1/2 cents a day ?

Rounded out 5 1/2 cents X by 365 days in a year = a Donation of $20 a year ! So can you at least give $10 bucks to help keep this site alive and kicking ?

Now, if you are dead broke and struggling even $10 bucks might be too much, so no problem, but if you visit here often and want to contribute a little a Donation would be nice.

Oh, and Industry professional who may have this site as a resource and have over time made some money from sales due to their exposure here, might consider that a minimum Donation of $20 is a good investment for the future, and a good way to show appreciation for the existence of this site and past revenue ? . Wink

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 02 May, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Donations are now at $2,435.00. The target goal has been reached, but more will surely be useful.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 02 May, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Donations are now at $2,435.00. The target goal has been reached, but more will surely be useful.

WHAT A RELIEF to get that initial goal reached. I've been so stressed about this. I know it sounds ridiculous. I just put a lot of pressure on myself even when this site is outdated and has seen better days, I still feel like I owe the community. I paid the full amount last November and almost the whole thing out of pocket last year. It's been so stressful so this is a very, very big stress reliever. I'll try to raise more money before this coming November so I won't have to stress it. For a minute, the total donation drive said it was in the $4000 area because of my manual data entry error. Ugh. That's why I like building automated systems and not risking human error. Oops!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 03 May, 2020 1:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HI Nathan,

I am thrilled that this has been reached and everything is good for now, but there are few things that are clear to me.

Yes the world has moved on and there are so many ways to post stuff up that MA is just one of many ways and so my go to display site of 2010 is not the same as 2020. Personally I think this is a shame, because I have learnt a staggering amount solely because of my interactions with MA, its threads and its members and actually because I am coming here less than I did my rate of learning has gone down. However as with most good intentions, I am aware of this and yet still I don't visit and post as much as I did, which is of course exactly what creates that vital life blood of a site like this.

However amongst all the noise the of the modern world, just as Craig said at the start, this is my absolute first point of reference. When I want to find something out, nothing, NOTHING, comes close to the body of reference, empirical knowledge and intelligent conjecture this site has to offer. Because of that I would be horrified to think this site could be lost. From an altruistic point of view, to the rest of the world and from a selfish point of view, to me. For this reason Nathan, if it gets to a point where MA needs more support, just ask us as I am sure I am not alone in these thoughts.

All the best and thank you for creating and nurturing this extraordinary place.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Mark Millman

PostPosted: Sun 03 May, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: another way to support myArmoury         Reply with quote

Folks,

Yes, you can and should donate. Thanks to everybody who has donated, and I hope that more people--who may not have visited recently and don't know about the drive--will do so.

Do you know what else you can do? Subscribe to a membership plan. They go for a small annual fee (US$25 or US$45) which is automatically billed.

Just think: If enough of us do this, Nathan's costs will be covered every year without his having to worry about it at all. Doesn't that seem wholly worthwhile?

Thank you, Nathan, for building and maintaining myArmoury.

Best,

Mark Millman
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 May, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I upgraded my membership. Sorry I didn't do it years ago.
Éirinn go Brách
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 04 May, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

WHAT A RELIEF to get that initial goal reached. I've been so stressed about this. I know it sounds ridiculous. I just put a lot of pressure on myself even when this site is outdated and has seen better days, I still feel like I owe the community. I paid the full amount last November and almost the whole thing out of pocket last year. It's been so stressful so this is a very, very big stress reliever. I'll try to raise more money before this coming November so I won't have to stress it. For a minute, the total donation drive said it was in the $4000 area because of my manual data entry error. Ugh. That's why I like building automated systems and not risking human error. Oops!

Well, I'm also relieved that the basic " Minimal " fund raising goal has been attained, also pleased that this removed a lot of stress from Nathan's shoulders.

I'm also feeling a bit guilty that I didn't start a fund raiser in 2019 and that Nathan had to pay off that year the whole amount out of pocket.

I was sort of hoping in 2019 that someone else would take the lead and I kept procrastinating starting one.

Although I sort of understand why, due to Nathan's reluctance to ask for help and money to fund the site, I think that he should get over the reluctance to find ways to monetize the site because making a small operational profit, or even better making this site a way for him to " Survive " if it could ever become a full time job: There is no dishonour in doing something good and at the same be able to make a reasonable profit as long as it's done without taking advantage of anyone !

Giving a good service doesn't mean it having to be giving it out for free in my opinion.

Also, when Nathan started this site his objective was to create something for everyone sharing his passion of history and historical weapons, a more predictable cash flow from his everyday work meant that making " myArmoury " a profit centre wasn't a priority past maybe at least breaking even I'm guessing.

Bottom line, any extra money, or ways to fund the site also gives breathing room and the possibility for Nathan to upgrade the site, modernizing it and making it even better than it already is.

Not sure if something like having an associated Youtube site would be practical ? It obviously would be a lot of extra work to set up, run and add content. Youtube isn't as good at paying content producers as it used to be, but many Youtube channels now use Patreon to fund themselves !

Instead of barely hanging on, maybe only breaking even, if the site earned something in the low to medium 5 figures it could become Nathan's primary income ?

If anyone has any good ideas about how Nathan could monetize the site they could post it, or if Nathan prefers, just PM him if they have something practical to suggest ?

Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 May, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My initial reaction would be that you should create a raffle in addition to a donation drive. Your raffle tickets would be a set price per ticket, etc. And of course, you would have a prize for the raffle.

You have had contests on the site before - I'm not sure that they were as straight-forward as the raffle suggested here. Regardless, it might be counter-productive for the site administration to procure a prize item out-of-pocket. Instead, that item needs to be (a.) a donation and (b.) of sufficient value to generate interest in the raffle. In all cases, you are asking people to give.

...I actually have a suggestion for the prize item: make it a community project. For instance, who can provide either a ready-made blade (such as a Hanwei), or who can produce one from raw materials? If the latter case, who can do the heat-treat? Who can produce the hilt parts? Who can do leatherwork? Who can do metal finishing, etc? For those not able to give what might be needed financially, they could potentially offer up some of their handiwork instead. It would be an interesting experiment at the very least, and the participants might just learn something and engage in something they otherwise wouldn't.

Jean, you may not like my position on this, but I feel I need to say this: Artisans certainly benefit from this site being here, but unfortunately I do not think today's Western culture has treated them all that well. Spending over a thousand dollars for a sword may be imposing for the average consumer, but a lot of work and care goes into making one, and often that work is severely undervalued. Please allow me to ask this question: are you willing to go out and buy a quality weapon at this present time?
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 04 May, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Beeching wrote:

Jean, you may not like my position on this, but I feel I need to say this: Artisans certainly benefit from this site being here, but unfortunately I do not think today's Western culture has treated them all that well. Spending over a thousand dollars for a sword may be imposing for the average consumer, but a lot of work and care goes into making one, and often that work is severely undervalued. Please allow me to ask this question: are you willing to go out and buy a quality weapon at this present time?

Well, I have no negative feelings about any legitimate question like the one above.

In the past I have purchased some quality swords usually under $1500 but decades ago commissioned a custom design at $2000. Currently, I'm pretty saturated and have already most swords that I want so it's more a question of seeing a sword I would like to add to my collection rather than the current financial crisis affecting me personally ! But, many people are currently more concerned with paying rent or coping with their credit card debt than buying anything for an expensive hobby !

As to the value of the work of makers, I have bought some hand forged swords, spear heads and my customs designs from Michael Pikula a few years ago that where not priced in proportion to his quality of work ! In a way not being able to charge the $5,000 to $10,000 of some of his top end folded steel weapons should have costs is one reason why he gave up and stopped making swords. ( Now I remember him quitting and retuning to making swords, but not sure if he is still active or not at this time. )

The whole how much can a custom maker make, and how much most collectors are able to pay is a difficult but separate issue.

My point about Makers supporting this site with a donation doesn't mean that they have to give a large amount of money, but even a $20 once a year donation in appreciation for this site helping them having their work known isn't that much to ask, I think ?

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Giving the Donation Drive another push forward, the amount raised has reached and slightly exceeded the goal for 2020, but it's no reason to stop giving Nathan and for the longterm health of the site some more funds to keep it viable.

Now, this should also be a Donation Drive for the 2019 year that didn't have a Donation drive and that Nathan paid the full freight for 2019 completely out of pocket while at the same time not having the best financial situation.

So how about compensating a bit for the neglected 2019 inexistent financial help that year, well except for maybe a few people who may have given small amounts in 2019 without being asked plus the few people who have enhanced memberships who pay a regular amount to support the site ..... There are a few of these people, but not so many as to give a reliable and predictable money stream each year.

Note Nathan is having to update donors and donation totals manually, so maybe a bit more cash has been raised, but I haven't seen the numbers change in a few days .... So maybe Nathan's access to the Internet may be less than optimum during the Covid-19 crisis ?

As mentioned before many times by me or others, Nathan has put in what must be multiple thousands of hours of work creating and keeping this site running on fumes as far as money coming in is concerned, so any money raised is not only to keep this site alive, but should also be in gratitude for all of his " UNPAID " work ! This is why I keep pushing raising more funds than the minimal needed to keep it in existence !

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Great Job Everyone - Challenge         Reply with quote

HI Everyone,

I wanted to add my deep thanks to all that have supported myArmoury and Nathan so far, it truly makes me feel good about the community I have chosen to spend much of my life involved with and working alongside. I had hoped to be more participatory in the earlier portion of this fund raising effort but who knew having folks stay home would increase my need to do list. All of us work towards being healthier and safer by staying home, it has however increased customer communication by quite a bit and social media interaction (oh yea Eek! ) :-) We are very grateful for those that have ordered from makers to support them and it has been amazing how many have stepped forward. I know all makers thank you deeply for your support. As per Michael's question to Jean below...

Michael Beeching wrote:

many people are actively engaged in supporting the community and it has surprised many of us makers in these uncertain times. Michael your idea of a raffle is something we have done in the past and in the current drive my plan is to have us pick from those that have contributed to supporting myArmoury so far with something that we will donate. I have just been a bit swamped to line the details up but it will be soon. I would suggest we will have Nathan chose a winner at the end of May, he has a random system to do this and we will ship the winner something nice :-) I know this sounds a bit hap hazard but these are strange times.

Now to anyone who is still reading :-) think about helping if you have not as yet or if you have, encourage others to do so as well. We are a community that is pretty old for this medium and one that it would be impossible to replace in content, fellowship and understanding, plus were not facebook Surprised If you are a casual user of the site, I would encourage you to explore parts you have not visited even for a few minutes and check out the articles, Images, reviews, comparison tool or any of the other great features.

As a maker this site is not about making sales for us in the immediate sense, its about a supportive community of fellow scholars of the sword and education of customers for us as well as every other maker in the business. I have had people order 1000.00 dollar swords but they have been planning and savings for years in some cases because of this site. It stopped them from buying something cheap and instead they learned and grew in their appreciation of the sword because of Nathan's hard work. Help support that if you can here.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, glad to see that the Donation Goal was reached relatively quickly, the last Donation Drive in 2018 was slower to get to the donation objective.

I also see that some donations are still coming in and I see no reason to stop growing the amount.

Also, with the current pandemic crisis it's encouraging that people still care enough to keep this site going.

We are not far from the $3000 mark and at $4,200( +) it would also cover most the 2019 Hosting Costs that where completely paid out of Nathan's pocket since there wasn't a Donation Drive that year, as mentioned previously.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've increased the goal to $3600 US in an attempt to get a head start on the payment due in November. As mentioned before, I paid November 2019 out of pocket and much of the expense for 2018 as well because of the timing of things.

I'm not going to be able to do that again in the future so it's probably best to inch towards these donation drives rather than try to cram it in last minute.

I've had zero income for quite some time now and with the world's recent events as they are, I'm not sure when this will change. Most of my time is spent looking but things are tough out there right now.

Without member support, this site won't exist. I'm thankful to all you contributors.

EDIT: it's been suggested that instead of moving the donation goal to cover the upcoming cost due in November, that I start a new donation drive goal for the full amount of that November payment. I think this is a good idea. Thank you for reimbursing me the cost paid last year. This was incredibly helpful!! We have a full five months to raise about $2400. That should ease up things make this seem not as much of an emergency situation.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 13 May, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a nice surprise and a SHOUTOUT by Skallagrim on his Youtube Channel site about the current Donation Drive and he has nice things to say about the value of this site that should get more support.

I thought that you all should know about it, and it would help if other Youtuber who know this site and have appreciated it for years as a valuable resource might also give " myArmoury " and the Donation Drive a shoutout on their Youtube channels, if they wish to do so. Wink ( No pressure, just a suggestion. Cool )

Link to the Skallagrim Youtube video and the shoutout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu6z7vy8uMc

Big thanks to Skallagrim for doing this. Big Grin Cool

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Wed 13 May, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is an invaluable resource and a nexus of a variety of communities from HEMA / WMA practitioners, historical researchers, writers, re-enactors, collectors, artisans and so on. It is one of the best run forums of this type online and it would be a crime if it was lost. I am embarrassed that I can only contribute a small amount right now but as soon as I'm in a better position to do so I will throw a few more into the bucket. Thank you for all the hard work (and I know it is) just keeping this place civil and so useful for so long.

Jean Henri

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 13 May, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Short note on a " Glitch " about the Donation goal amount and the donated up to this time amount seems to have reverted to earlier numbers, Nathan is doing the updates manually because of technical issues, and it seems to be giving the wrong numbers.

Nathan's access to the Internet is less than optimum at the moment so it may take a bit of time for him to see the error in numbers and fix them. ( Note I sent him a PM about it a few minutes ago. )

EDITED: My apologies for misinterpreting/misreading the change in goal.

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 13 May, 2020 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 13 May, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's no glitch, Jean. The first goal, to pay for the 2019 hosting, has been reached. Thanks to everyone who made that happen!

If you read the text for our donation drive it says:

Quote:
Our 2020 annual hosting bill is due in November. We are raising money now to pay for it. We've collected 620.00 towards our goal of 2400 USD.

(That amount will change as donations come in and I'll change the text now to be more clear)

This is the new goal of paying for this year's hosting, due in November. I've started the donation drive early so that we can creep up to it and I won't have to pay out of pocket in November. I really won't have the cash to do it myself, so I'm trying to raise the cash now.

Quote:
Nathan's access to the Internet is less than optimum at the moment so it may take a bit of time for him to see the error in numbers and fix them. ( Note I sent him a PM about it a few minutes ago. )

No, Jean, my access to the internet is not less than optimum. I have Internet access. Please do not speculate like this. I don't have an income at the moment, but this doesn't mean I'm living in a box yet! Happy

Thanks for everything you do, Jean! I appreciate the commitment. I find this all so embarrassing, but I'll communicate better.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > DONATION DRIVE 2020
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: